Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fused connection unit question

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 21:40:28 UTC+1, wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

I'm guessing it's used for making a fused connection.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2019 21:40, wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

spur for a lecy fire?....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

Youve not given us much to go on!

Okay, Ill say mains powered vibrator in a brothel (hard wired to prevent
removal).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 22:07:04 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Youve not given us much to go on!

Have a think about where the wires go.

Okay, Ill say mains powered vibrator in a brothel (hard wired to prevent
removal).

Have you just been watching Trucking Hell where the lady driver found the butt plug?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

It could be used for several things- one of those small heaters sometimes
used in airing cupboards, a fixed electric radiator, a supply to a central
heating control system, ......

Weve got some switched ones which are for heater towel rails (they arent
in the bathrooms).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...JPG/564px-Crab
tree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

It's a flex outlet for any appliance up to 13A. Or it could be used
equally for another cable into the backbox. The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity. If it doesn't have a switch and this
may be inappropriate for some purposes nowadays. But such fused
connection units without a switch still have their uses. For instance,
my lathe has such a fused unit and one of those two pole red button
things to isolate it.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Earth connection
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 23:00:59 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...JPG/564px-Crab
tree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

It's a flex outlet for any appliance up to 13A. Or it could be used
equally for another cable into the backbox. The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity. If it doesn't have a switch and this
may be inappropriate for some purposes nowadays. But such fused
connection units without a switch still have their uses. For instance,
my lathe has such a fused unit and one of those two pole red button
things to isolate it.

Back then it was normal practice to just twist earth wires together.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr 2019 21:07:00 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

You˘ve not given us much to go on!

Okay, I˘ll say mains powered vibrator in a brothel (hard wired to prevent
removal).

Tim

Well, it'd be no good there if it were soft-wired!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well print it out and it will stick over a small hole in the wall... Oh wait
he means the thing in the picture, sorry, since I cannot see it... grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 April 2019 21:40:28 UTC+1, wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

I'm guessing it's used for making a fused connection.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was tempted to think about that Monty Pythons sketch about the slaughter
house with its rotating knives.
Actually is there a big radar dish on the roof? Crabtree do a lot of
control gear for starting up big motors on three phase supplies...
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 April 2019 22:07:04 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
You've not given us much to go on!

Have a think about where the wires go.

Okay, I'll say mains powered vibrator in a brothel (hard wired to prevent
removal).

Have you just been watching Trucking Hell where the lady driver found the
butt plug?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So is he going to own up as to what it was?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
No Earth connection

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 23:00:59 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity.

Close but no cigar.

It *is* a modern one. (Well, fairly modern. The logo dates it 1981-1991.)

Front view:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...6FCU-front.JPG

Earth-free locations, I presume.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 April 2019 09:05:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
So is he going to own up as to what it was?

The first picture was a normal fused connection unit terminals side, but there is no earth connection or earth bar across the mounting holes.

The second picture was the front, with a BT logo, and text "This component has no earth terminal and must not be used where a protective earth is required". The faceplate screws are also non-metally (nylon?).

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2019 09:13, wrote:
On Thursday, 4 April 2019 23:00:59 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity.

Close but no cigar.

It *is* a modern one. (Well, fairly modern. The logo dates it 1981-1991.)

Front view:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...6FCU-front.JPG

Earth-free locations, I presume.

Owain

some blood british telecom piece of crap....who cares

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 5 April 2019 09:05:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
So is he going to own up as to what it was?

The first picture was a normal fused connection unit terminals side, but
there is no earth connection or earth bar across the mounting holes.

The second picture was the front, with a BT logo, and text "This component
has no earth terminal and must not be used where a protective earth is
required". The faceplate screws are also non-metally (nylon?).

Owain

I think a company more single-mindedly pursuing profit might simply use
a commodity FCU and not connect the earth terminal - they can always put
a sticker on it, and you otherwise can't tell from the outside anyway
(apart from the screws).

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...JPG/564px-Crab
tree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

It's a flex outlet for any appliance up to 13A. Or it could be used
equally for another cable into the backbox. The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity. If it doesn't have a switch and this
may be inappropriate for some purposes nowadays. But such fused
connection units without a switch still have their uses. For instance,
my lathe has such a fused unit and one of those two pole red button
things to isolate it.

Back then it was normal practice to just twist earth wires together.

NT

Wouldn't work too well for a flex outlet.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 April 2019 10:18:35 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
Where's the socket where I can plug my telephone in?

In those days, put the phone in the freezing draughty hall
If it's too cold to talk long that'll keep the bill small

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 01:13:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 23:00:59 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
The only difference from a
modern one is the the electrician is left to use his inititative for
protective conductor contnuity.

Close but no cigar.

It *is* a modern one. (Well, fairly modern. The logo dates it 1981-1991.)

Front view:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...6FCU-front.JPG

Earth-free locations, I presume.

In the electricity industry (both National Grid and the Distribution Network
Operators) they were commonly used for powering BT Kilostream X (64kbps) line
drivers on sites where there was a risk of a rise of earth potential (during an
HV fault) and where connection to the exchange was over copper. Probably last
used in the mid to late 1990's

They were also used on PABX installations on the same at risk sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

would not those uses be a little misleading and in one case overkill in the
other loss making.
Brian

--
----- --

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit. Would the team like
to take a guess what it's used for?

Joining non-mains cables, such as TV aerial or phone line?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 April 2019 13:37:18 UTC+1, The Other Mike wrote:
In the electricity industry (both National Grid and the Distribution Network
Operators) they were commonly used for powering BT Kilostream X (64kbps) line
drivers on sites where there was a risk of a rise of earth potential (during
an HV fault) and where connection to the exchange was over copper. Probably
last used in the mid to late 1990's

Interesting, I'd assumed telephone exchanges, hadn't considered subs apps on electricity sites.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

would not those uses be a little misleading and in one case overkill in the
other loss making.

But TNP wouldn't be teasing us with the question if it was used as a
normal FCU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

Testing fuses?

-- Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

Owain

I'm trying to think of anything where a FCU without ground was ever
compliant?

But it might date from the days of when lighting circuits didn't need a
ground. So not really an FCU, but switch with fuse?

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
In the electricity industry (both National Grid and the Distribution
Network Operators) they were commonly used for powering BT Kilostream X
(64kbps) line drivers on sites where there was a risk of a rise of earth
potential (during an HV fault) and where connection to the exchange was
over copper. Probably last used in the mid to late 1990's

They were also used on PABX installations on the same at risk sites.

Right. So is FCU the correct name for it?

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2019 15:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

would not those uses be a little misleading and in one case overkill
in the
other loss making.

But TNP wouldn't be teasing us with the question if it was used as a
normal FCU.

I have not contributed to this thread

--
€śThe ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.€ť

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

they used choc blocks for that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 April 2019 15:55:14 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I've uploaded a picture of a fused connection unit.

Would the team like to take a guess what it's used for?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/thu...ree4106FCU.JPG

I'm trying to think of anything where a FCU without ground was ever
compliant?

maybe pre 1955, and obviously it's from much later.
But BR don't apply to commercial/industrial sites, and even domestically deviation from the regs is permitted if its safety can be justified.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

But TNP wouldn't be teasing us with the question if it was used as a
normal FCU.

I have not contributed to this thread

OK, as you were ... I got it into my head you were the O/P instead of Owain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Max Demian wrote

Where's the socket where I can plug my telephone in?

In those days, put the phone in the freezing draughty
hall If it's too cold to talk long that'll keep the bill small

Surely you lot didnt always have timed local calls ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 15:09:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

In those days, put the phone in the freezing draughty
hall If it's too cold to talk long that'll keep the bill small

Surely you lot didn˘t always have timed local calls ?

Surely NOBODY was talking to you in this thread, you obnoxious senile Ozzie
pest!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2019 05:09, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Max DemianÂ* wrote

Where's the socket where I can plug my telephone in?

In those days, put the phone in the freezing draughty
hall If it's too cold to talk long that'll keep the bill small

Surely you lot didnt always have timed local calls ?

Yes. I remember 1p/minute off-peak and 5p/minute peak.

--
Max Demian