stuart noble

Default Extractor fan shutters sticking

Anyone had this problem? It's a 4" bathroom fan and the external grille has
3 flimsy plastic shutters which keep fouling each other so that they stick
open.
Can you buy separate external grilles? As the wall in question faces due
north I'd like to install something that is genuinely draughtproof when the
fan isn't switched on.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Dave Stanton

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:06:23 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Anyone had this problem? It's a 4" bathroom fan and the external grille
has 3 flimsy plastic shutters which keep fouling each other so that they
stick open.
Can you buy separate external grilles? As the wall in question faces due
north I'd like to install something that is genuinely draughtproof when
the fan isn't switched on.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Ours does this when the wind blows from certain directions, thought a bot
fitting some type of spring to it.

Dave

Set Square

stuart noble wrote:

Anyone had this problem? It's a 4" bathroom fan and the external
grille has 3 flimsy plastic shutters which keep fouling each other so
that they stick open.
Can you buy separate external grilles? As the wall in question faces
due north I'd like to install something that is genuinely
draughtproof when the fan isn't switched on.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Have a look at
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...cd=1&x=12&y=11

This has a cowl with a downward facing outlet, and a circular hinged flap
inside. I've got one on the extractor fan in my en-suite. It's far better
than the slatted type, but the flap does bang open and shut a bit in high
winds. [I've considered putting some foam draught excluder round the edge of
the flap to quieten it, but haven't got round to it. It would be much easier
to do prior to fitting!].

You can get the same thing from most of the sheds and BMs - it doesn't have
to be ScrewFix.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

stuart noble

Set Square wrote in message ...
Have a look at
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...nid=POODJWY41Y

32BCJO2C4CIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=D16195&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=12&y=
11

Thanks. How did I miss that in the catalogue?