Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED life.

Have an old audio amp that came with a standard 5mm red LED as a mains on
indicator. Fed from one of the 50v rails.

Changed it to a blue opaque type. Just because I prefer the colour.
Calculated a new series resistor to 5mA, but it was still far too bright.
So just fiddled with it to get it down to an acceptable level.

The LED has failed after a few months use. Fitted a new one. Had bought a
packet of 20 from Ebay.

Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If you're buying LEDs from ebay, they're probably no-name Chinese.
I have no idea what the quality control on those might be like.

It shouldn't be a problem to run LEDs at low current - unlike 1970s LEDs,
most of the current ones are insanely bright if you run them at the rated
maximum current, so indicators are frequently under-run.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have an old audio amp that came with a standard 5mm red LED as a mains on
indicator. Fed from one of the 50v rails.

Changed it to a blue opaque type. Just because I prefer the colour.
Calculated a new series resistor to 5mA, but it was still far too bright.
So just fiddled with it to get it down to an acceptable level.

The LED has failed after a few months use. Fitted a new one. Had bought a
packet of 20 from Ebay.

Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

I am pretty sure that it is only high currents that destroy them and you
can go as low as you like.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 March 2019 11:03:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have an old audio amp that came with a standard 5mm red LED as a mains on
indicator. Fed from one of the 50v rails.

Changed it to a blue opaque type. Just because I prefer the colour.
Calculated a new series resistor to 5mA, but it was still far too bright.
So just fiddled with it to get it down to an acceptable level.

The LED has failed after a few months use. Fitted a new one. Had bought a
packet of 20 from Ebay.

Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current?

no.

Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

You might have got rejects or 2nds.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have an old audio amp that came with a standard 5mm red LED as a mains on
indicator. Fed from one of the 50v rails.

Changed it to a blue opaque type. Just because I prefer the colour.
Calculated a new series resistor to 5mA, but it was still far too bright.
So just fiddled with it to get it down to an acceptable level.

The LED has failed after a few months use. Fitted a new one. Had bought a
packet of 20 from Ebay.

Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If you're buying LEDs from ebay, they're probably no-name Chinese.
I have no idea what the quality control on those might be like.

What I thought. Although given the very low cost and it not being a
critical use, I'll put up with it. Assuming it just to be a rogue one.

I do remember buying some early 'white' ones - when they were pricey - to
light a meter, where the original tungsten has a short life. Due to being
on for very long periods. And they didn't last well either. More expensive
replacements from a reputable source were OK.

It shouldn't be a problem to run LEDs at low current - unlike 1970s LEDs,
most of the current ones are insanely bright if you run them at the rated
maximum current, so indicators are frequently under-run.

Thanks Theo - what I guessed. Just wanted it confirmed.

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's
placed below the screen.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused type.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I don't think I've ever had any led file when underrun, unless it was run
from a very spiky voltage of some kind.
I used to love those high brightness red ones you got very cheap in the old
tandy stores. With my failing sight at the time they were great.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Theo" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did
I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If you're buying LEDs from ebay, they're probably no-name Chinese.
I have no idea what the quality control on those might be like.

It shouldn't be a problem to run LEDs at low current - unlike 1970s LEDs,
most of the current ones are insanely bright if you run them at the rated
maximum current, so indicators are frequently under-run.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's
placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2019 11:33, Theo wrote:
I have no idea what the quality control on those might be like.

The quality control is that cheap Chinese components have already failed
real quality testing. Before eBay they would have become landfill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 March 2019 14:12:37 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused
type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 March 2019 12:05:33 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused
type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

and a 10 minute 10 second job to fit 2

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused
type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

and a 10 minute 10 second job to fit 2

Are you saying one diffused type squirting through another would look just
the same? Zero transmission losses? Or would I have to experiment with
resistor values and drive it harder to get the same effect? Good luck in
doing all that in 10 seconds.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 March 2019 15:51:16 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused
type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

and a 10 minute 10 second job to fit 2

Are you saying one diffused type squirting through another would look just
the same? Zero transmission losses? Or would I have to experiment with
resistor values and drive it harder to get the same effect? Good luck in
doing all that in 10 seconds.

LED packs don't cause significant losses at he emitting frequencies. It'd be pretty silly if they did.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say)
three in
parallel to become failure tolerant?

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a
diffused
type.

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

and a 10 minute 10 second job to fit 2

Are you saying one diffused type squirting through another would look
just
the same? Zero transmission losses? Or would I have to experiment with
resistor values and drive it harder to get the same effect? Good luck in
doing all that in 10 seconds.

LED packs don't cause significant losses at he emitting frequencies. It'd
be pretty silly if they did.

But the metal frame for the leads and die do, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 09:40:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

But the metal frame for the leads and die do, stupid.

Darn, and you HAD to **** also in this thread, senile swine! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

Not enough to cause any problem.
You've probably never even tried it.
Before we had access to bicolour LEDs that was my go-to method, and the reason for buying clear packed LEDs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's
placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 05:35:03 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as
it's placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

I use Blu-Tack (I have a very bright blue LED on the 8 port KVM in the
office).

The advantage is that you can 'tune' it by making the layer thicker or
thinner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Are you saying one diffused type squirting through another would look
just the same? Zero transmission losses? Or would I have to experiment
with resistor values and drive it harder to get the same effect? Good
luck in doing all that in 10 seconds.

LED packs don't cause significant losses at he emitting frequencies.
It'd be pretty silly if they did.

Now answer my point. ;-)

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
LED packs don't cause significant losses at he emitting frequencies. It'd
be pretty silly if they did.

But the metal frame for the leads and die do, stupid.

Not enough to cause any problem. You've probably never even tried it.
Before we had access to bicolour LEDs that was my go-to method, and the
reason for buying clear packed LEDs.

But I deliberately chose diffused when changing from red to blue. Since I
already had clear blue. It looks better to me.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 April 2019 13:45:40 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 05:35:03 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as
it's placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

I use Blu-Tack (I have a very bright blue LED on the 8 port KVM in the
office).

The advantage is that you can 'tune' it by making the layer thicker or
thinner.

I guess so, but with nail varnish you can also get it in other colours, including glitter :-). and you get the nice smell ;-)
But I also have blue, white and pink blu-tak , so in keeping with LGBTQ
I have girl, boy and gender neutral blu-tak.

I also have low noise parcel tape, and some pink masking tape.
I just wish I could find some cheap leopard/tiger print versions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's
placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

Your goth phase?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 1 April 2019 16:12:19 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's
placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

Your goth phase?

How did you guess .

Do you have regrettable tattoos too?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 05:35:03 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 29 March 2019 17:10:26 UTC, RJH wrote:
snip

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote
control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as
it's placed below the screen.

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily
read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see
some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size
(that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

I use Blu-Tack (I have a very bright blue LED on the 8 port KVM in the
office).

The advantage is that you can 'tune' it by making the layer thicker or
thinner.

Looks pretty daggy/grotty tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 09:50:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Looks pretty daggy/grotty tho.

NOTHING could look as daggy/grotty as a 85-year-old, decrepit, senile piece
of **** like you!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder