UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2018
Posts: 286
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over these
accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have an
unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these codes?
Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked handset?

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 676
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41:55 +0000, Pamela wrote:

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over these
accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have
an unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these
codes?
Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked handset?


Try
https://www.dc-unlocker.com/

With luck you can get a free unlock code.

Cheers


Dave R


--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #3   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 03:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,978
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:45:15 +0000, David wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41:55 +0000, Pamela wrote:

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over these
accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have
an unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these
codes?
Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked handset?


Try https://www.dc-unlocker.com/

With luck you can get a free unlock code.

Cheers


Dave R


This was one of the reasons I won't ever consider a locked handset again.
About 3 years ago I tried to set our son up with a quickie get-me-out-of-
trouble phone, and out of 11 old handsets that all worked, not a single
one could be used.

The one which infuriated me most was an Orange £4.95 alcatel that they
wanted £40 to unlock to take an EE SIM.

**** that.

I also discovered a lot of unlock sites are ****e.
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2018
Posts: 286
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On 14:43 15 Mar 2019, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:45:15 +0000, David wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41:55 +0000, Pamela wrote:

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over
these accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't have
an unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these
codes? Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked
handset?


Try https://www.dc-unlocker.com/

With luck you can get a free unlock code.

Cheers


Dave R


This was one of the reasons I won't ever consider a locked handset
again. About 3 years ago I tried to set our son up with a quickie
get-me-out-of- trouble phone, and out of 11 old handsets that all
worked, not a single one could be used.

The one which infuriated me most was an Orange 4.95 alcatel that they
wanted £40 to unlock to take an EE SIM.

**** that.

I also discovered a lot of unlock sites are ****e.


I thought maybe some regulation required network operators to provide
unlock codes for free.

Maybe free codes are only for contract phones.
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,978
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:06:25 +0000, Pamela wrote:

On 14:43 15 Mar 2019, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:45:15 +0000, David wrote:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:41:55 +0000, Pamela wrote:

Orange accounts are being closed down. I asked EE, who took over
these accounts, for unlock codes for some old Orange Nokia handsets.

I received unlock codes for two handsets but was told Nokia don't
have an unlock code for the third.

All these handsets were supplied by Orange on various contracts.

Where do I stand? Do Orange/EE have any obligation to provide these
codes? Are they under any duty to provide a replacement unlocked
handset?

Try https://www.dc-unlocker.com/

With luck you can get a free unlock code.

Cheers


Dave R


This was one of the reasons I won't ever consider a locked handset
again. About 3 years ago I tried to set our son up with a quickie
get-me-out-of- trouble phone, and out of 11 old handsets that all
worked, not a single one could be used.

The one which infuriated me most was an Orange £4.95 alcatel that they
wanted £40 to unlock to take an EE SIM.

**** that.

I also discovered a lot of unlock sites are ****e.


I thought maybe some regulation required network operators to provide
unlock codes for free.

Maybe free codes are only for contract phones.


From memory most contract phones are unlocked anyway. Not that I care. My
last phone was direct from WileyFox - unlocked and damn good value (their
appalling customer service is what did for them). 4 years on and it's a
testament to how little has changed that I don't need a new one to do
anymore for me ... this suits me fine.



  #6   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On 15/03/2019 15:25, Jethro_uk wrote:

From memory most contract phones are unlocked anyway. Not that I care. My
last phone was direct from WileyFox - unlocked and damn good value (their
appalling customer service is what did for them). 4 years on and it's a
testament to how little has changed that I don't need a new one to do
anymore for me ... this suits me fine.


Can't remember the last time I bought a phone that was locked. Mind you
I don't change them every 5 minutes like some people seem to. I only
bought my current one (Samsung S5 mini) because my old one (S4 mini)
died on me.

The two Nokia 6310i's I have as standbys have been faultless for the
last 15 years and are still on the original batteries too.



--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #7   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

It would be useful to know the Nokia models. There are unlock code
generators on line that will work with some of them.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
  #8   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 08:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2018
Posts: 286
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

On 19:01 15 Mar 2019, Woody wrote:

It would be useful to know the Nokia models. There are unlock code
generators on line that will work with some of them.


I'm trying to unlock an old Nokia 8210.
  #10   Report Post  
Old March 15th 19, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2013
Posts: 110
Default [OT] Unlocking Orange handset

Fortunately the phone is a DCT4 for which you can get an automated
unlock code free on line.

If you look at the GiffGaff page
https://www.giffgaff.com/unlock/nokia-8210-phone
it will do it for you.

If the decoder gives you several codes usually numbered 1-7 it is only
code 5 that you need to enter to network unlock it. Once unlocked it
does not forget. However if it has a SP logo at start-up, unlocking will
not remove it.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door not unlocking on urmet 1130 handset. John mc UK diy 4 November 2nd 14 05:46 PM
diy unlocking Nospam UK diy 5 September 10th 05 09:05 PM
Phone unlocking [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 18th 05 09:39 AM
Unlocking childlock on TV nospam Electronics Repair 2 October 21st 04 06:35 PM
unlocking radio L. Kotney Electronics Repair 4 August 31st 04 03:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017