Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant thermistor fault

Vaillant ecotec plus 418 from about '07 or '10 or thereabouts. Pump stopped running, boiler gave error codes
F22 dry fire
F72 NTC thermistor value out of range
Pump sorted, but boiler won't run reporting F72.
Thermistors measured at 12k & 12-13k - I can measure them more accurately if needed.
Anything I should know or check before getting replacement thermistors?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 21:21:02 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 04/03/2019 21:13, tabbypurr wrote:

Vaillant ecotec plus 418 from about '07 or '10 or thereabouts. Pump stopped running, boiler gave error codes
F22 dry fire
F72 NTC thermistor value out of range
Pump sorted, but boiler won't run reporting F72.
Thermistors measured at 12k & 12-13k - I can measure them more accurately if needed.
Anything I should know or check before getting replacement thermistors?

NT

Resistances don't sound that far out. Normal criteria are not having a
resistance too low such that a few volts used in sensing does not
produce much self heating and yet the resistance is not so high to need
high impedance circuitry that can suffer from damp, dirt electrical
noise etc

The end result tends to be a working resistance around 10k

and being almost the same value... but maybe not quite close enough for the boiler's liking. Or maybe an iffy connection on one.
Oh, 12k was at about 30C primary temp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2019 22:01, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 04/03/2019 21:27, wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 21:21:02 UTC, Bob MinchinÂ* wrote:
[...]

Well you could **** about with variable resistors to try and con it into
firing to work out the range of resistance but ....
Bosch thermistors are only a few quid but i dont know the cost of
vaillant ones. looks like £19 on ebay?

An ideal job for the resistance decade box that I "liberated" during a
laboratory clear-out some decades ago. I think I have only used it once
since then, but I have always hung on to it just in case. Perhaps I will
park it on top of my Vaillant (as insurance against never having a
thermistor failure again).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 22:01:32 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 04/03/2019 21:27, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I'm a bit puzzled. I have what purports to be the spares manual, some sections of it match the boiler some just don't. Eg the HX is round, but the manual shows it as a rectangle. Still, one picture that does match gves the same part no as one that doesn't, so I guess that's good enough.

Off to ebay to type that number in tomorrow. I just hope the error really is with the thermistor. Thanks folks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The question I'd be asking is: Were these two faults related to one
another. IE can you think of a reason for both occurring at the same time?
If not then maybe you have not found the root cause if it yet.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
On 04/03/2019 21:27,
wrote:
[...]

vaillant F22 fault - where to get NTC sm_jamieson UK diy 0 October 23rd 08 03:38 PM
vaillant fault code 80 Jim UK diy 1 November 11th 05 07:58 PM
vaillant fault code 80 Jim UK diy 2 November 6th 05 09:11 PM
Vaillant Turbo max 824 /2e fault code f 22 mew UK diy 2 May 24th 05 07:37 PM
Intermittent under pressure fault on a Vaillant Combi tomf UK diy 1 February 22nd 05 10:01 PM