John Huckerby

Default Vulcan Continental Boiler Not Firing

Last night my Vulcan Continental floor standing boiler stopped working.

The pilot light is on but will not fire. The Randall 4033 timer is old and
has been slowing down/stopping.

So, I had resorted to manually advancing it to an ON position which has been
fine for about a month.

I have just replaced the timer with a new one and the boiler still fails to
fire.

So, I guess that it was nothing to do with the timer.

The whole system is approx 23 years old.

What else could it be?

raden

In message , John Huckerby
writes
Last night my Vulcan Continental floor standing boiler stopped working.

The pilot light is on but will not fire. The Randall 4033 timer is old and
has been slowing down/stopping.

So, I had resorted to manually advancing it to an ON position which has been
fine for about a month.

I have just replaced the timer with a new one and the boiler still fails to
fire.

So, I guess that it was nothing to do with the timer.

The whole system is approx 23 years old.

What else could it be?

I presume that at that age it uses a thermocouple to sense the pilot
being alight, I'm not familiar with it.

Is the thermocouple on the pilot flame?

If so, replace the thermocouple - a few quid

If this doesn't work, then, it's probably the gas valve either stuck or
knackered (is the solenoid open circuit, are you getting volts to the
solenoid?)

--
geoff
raden

In message , John Huckerby
writes
Managed to get the boiler to fire for CH. Room thermostat was turned down!

Nice trick

But still no hot water.

Diverter valve knacked?

"John Huckerby" wrote in message
Last night my Vulcan Continental floor standing boiler stopped working.

The pilot light is on but will not fire. The Randall 4033 timer is old

and
has been slowing down/stopping.

So, I had resorted to manually advancing it to an ON position which has

been
fine for about a month.

I have just replaced the timer with a new one and the boiler still fails

fire.

So, I guess that it was nothing to do with the timer.

The whole system is approx 23 years old.

What else could it be?

--
geoff
John Huckerby

Turned out to be one of the motorised valves.

But now the thermocouple appears to have gone as the pilot light won't stay
lit.

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John Huckerby
writes