Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extension to shared double brick wall

There's a shared double brick wall between my part of the house and the neighbours. Does one brick belong to both of us?

If I plan an extension, would it have to stagger in one brick so it joins onto mine of the two, or could it continue along the line of the existing wall if the neighbour agrees?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If your neighbour was planning a similar extension at the same time then no real problem. You could come to an arrangement with your neighbour but it could be become problematic should either of you come to selling the property. Build on your side of the boundary and save yourself some hassle.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 16:20, George Miles wrote:
There's a shared double brick wall between my part of the house and the neighbours. Does one brick belong to both of us?

If I plan an extension, would it have to stagger in one brick so it joins onto mine of the two, or could it continue along the line of the existing wall if the neighbour agrees?

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 applies to any work on or at the boundary.
This government web site provides an explanatory booklet and sample letters:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/party-wa...-1996-guidance

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 16:20, George Miles wrote:
There's a shared double brick wall between my part of the house and
the neighbours. Does one brick belong to both of us?

If I plan an extension, would it have to stagger in one brick so it
joins onto mine of the two, or could it continue along the line of
the existing wall if the neighbour agrees?

If the neighbour agrees then anything might be possible including doing
an extension on both sides of the boundary line. Otherwise I think there
is some minimium gap you have to leave from the boundary line. IANAL.

Try asking in uk.legal you will get more informed answers there.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and the problem that brought here was that I have a wall between my
garden and the neighbour, now they cannot get in between their new wall of
the extension and my wall to paint their wall nor can I paint the other side
of my wall.
I do wish somebody had thought this through and asked us. We would have
willingly allowed them to remove our old wall, but since they made their
bed, it will have to wait till I feel imike getting rid of the wall, then of
course I will need to make a fence with removable panels so it can be
painted and allow access to the wall.
Shades of my pink half of the drainpipe?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
If your neighbour was planning a similar extension at the same time then no
real problem. You could come to an arrangement with your neighbour but it
could be become problematic should either of you come to selling the
property. Build on your side of the boundary and save yourself some hassle.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles writes:
There's a shared double brick wall between my part of the house and the neighbours. Does one brick belong to both of us?

No, it's a shared wall, right through to both sides.
BTW, you probably mean a 'full brick' wall, i.e. it's the width
of a brick length (9" in old money, plus any finishes applied).

If I plan an extension, would it have to stagger in one brick so it joins onto mine of the two, or could it continue along the line of the existing wall if the neighbour agrees?

The best way to do this is to get your neighbour's permission to
extend the existing wall as it is, which includes going over their
side of the boundary. In exchange, it's shared and they also have
the right to use it for supporting an extension. This would all
need to be done via the Party Wall Act as mentioned previously.
You need to pay your neighbour for getting independant structural
advice, to ensure their property isn't damaged and that the
foundations laid will support additional load of their extension
later.

If you can't get the cooperation of your neighbour, you will need
to step the wall in, possibly by a full brick length. You will in
any case need to go through the provisions of the Party Wall Act,
including paying for independant structural advice/survey for your
neighbour (unless they are silly and decline independant structural
advice, but if they have a mortgage with moderate to high loan to
value, their lender will insist on this anyway).

--
Andrew Gabriel