Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairs to chipboard

Now on to part 4 of the Schuko installation problem. I have bought a
dry lining box that will fit the chipboard (25mm lugs). On removing
the previous box, I have discovered that the size of the hole is
larger than (the inner part of) the box with a bit of slack on all
sides. I am hoping that the design of the dry lining box will cope
with this.

If not, what is the best way to build up the chipboard? I had four
ideas:

1. Plastic wood and file to shape
2. Thin ply attached using panel pins
3. Cardboard and panel plns
4. Screws, possibly with a washer to get the size right

However, it does occur to me that maybe the hole should be larger than
the box to allow final adjustment of the socket.

Any ideas, before I start? Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 January 2019 20:22:45 UTC, Scott wrote:
Now on to part 4 of the Schuko installation problem. I have bought a
dry lining box that will fit the chipboard (25mm lugs). On removing
the previous box, I have discovered that the size of the hole is
larger than (the inner part of) the box with a bit of slack on all
sides. I am hoping that the design of the dry lining box will cope
with this.

If not, what is the best way to build up the chipboard? I had four
ideas:

1. Plastic wood and file to shape
2. Thin ply attached using panel pins
3. Cardboard and panel plns
4. Screws, possibly with a washer to get the size right

However, it does occur to me that maybe the hole should be larger than
the box to allow final adjustment of the socket.

Any ideas, before I start? Scott

My first idea, check what depth back box you have. I think you'll need 47mm..

Just how much bigger is the hole than the back box? If the gap is more than the lugs can cope with, but not larger than the lip, I'd probably use a bit of one of the building adhesives, squirt round the back box before pushing it into place. Allow plenty of time for it to go off.

(I fitted my first Schuko the other day. Preferable to using one of the rather bulky Schuko-to-13A adaptor which got in the way.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 January 2019 20:22:45 UTC, Scott wrote:

Now on to part 4 of the Schuko installation problem. I have bought a
dry lining box that will fit the chipboard (25mm lugs). On removing
the previous box, I have discovered that the size of the hole is
larger than (the inner part of) the box with a bit of slack on all
sides. I am hoping that the design of the dry lining box will cope
with this.

If not, what is the best way to build up the chipboard? I had four
ideas:

1. Plastic wood and file to shape
2. Thin ply attached using panel pins
3. Cardboard and panel plns
4. Screws, possibly with a washer to get the size right

However, it does occur to me that maybe the hole should be larger than
the box to allow final adjustment of the socket.

Any ideas, before I start? Scott

Whatever junk you've got. I wouldn't use cardboard though.
Filing would be a waste of time, if you did use something fileable just press the plastic box into it while wet.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 January 2019 22:22:02 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Just to be clear, I did mean push the box into the filler/adhesive while it is wet - THEN give it plenty of time to dry/set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
[...]

But this is a dry lining box with tabs/ears to grip the
surrounding sheet material & more importantly, in which to locate
the faceplate screws i.e. they have to be in the right place or
be adjustable to be in the right place, otherwise the op is back
where he started or worse...

All this "stick the box in with gunk & allow to set" guff makes me
wonder if anyone has actually done this or whether it's just yet
more "armchair expertise"?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 08:01:28 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I wondered that in bed last night (no comments please). Is
it the case that the hole should be slightly larger to allow final
adjustment of the position of the socket?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:05:49 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

[...]

It is 47mm.

Just how much bigger is the hole than the back box? If the gap is more than the lugs can cope with, but not larger than the lip, I'd probably use a bit of one of the building adhesives, squirt round the back box before pushing it into place. Allow plenty of time for it to go off.

I think They will grip, but will find out soon

(I fitted my first Schuko the other day. Preferable to using one of the rather bulky Schuko-to-13A adaptor which got in the way.)

They are neat. They also grip the Europlug more securely than the
likes of shaver sockets.

As a matter of interest, did you fit it via a fused connection unit? I
understand it is bad practice to connect an unfused plug to the ring
main. What value of fuse did you use? I'm going to try 2 amps to
begin with given my intended use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If in plasterboard say (or I spose anything else) you would take
some care to size & align the hole for the plastic back box as
true as possible, the lugs/ears grip the plasterboard/sheet
material as you tighten the faceplate screws into them
(sandwiching the sheet material between the faceplate & back
box), so there is a bit of wiggle room to finesse the alignment
as you finally tighten them.

Careful with that glue Eugene!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks then. Sounds like I should give it a go to see if it grips
securely and if not find a way of filling the space. I'm starting to
get annoyed with the kitchen fitters now :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2019 09:33, Scott wrote:

As a matter of interest, did you fit it via a fused connection unit? I
understand it is bad practice to connect an unfused plug to the ring
main. What value of fuse did you use? I'm going to try 2 amps to
begin with given my intended use.

Shucko's are 16A.

So you may fit to a 16A radial socket circuit directly.

Or FCU and 13A fuse.

As you correctly observed, do no stick it in a 32A ring without
additional fusing.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:04:17 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 25/01/2019 09:33, Scott wrote:

As a matter of interest, did you fit it via a fused connection unit? I
understand it is bad practice to connect an unfused plug to the ring
main. What value of fuse did you use? I'm going to try 2 amps to
begin with given my intended use.

Shucko's are 16A.

Maximum.

So you may fit to a 16A radial socket circuit directly.

I think that would be OTT for charging a toothbrush etc. My heavy
current appliances all have UK plugs.

Or FCU and 13A fuse.

Except I thought the theory was that the fuse was intended to protect
the cable. I cannot imagine a toothbrush or shaver charger cable
would carry 13 amps. I thought a 2 amp fuse would offer added safety.

As you correctly observed, do no stick it in a 32A ring without
additional fusing.

Indeed. MK insisted on a statement of intended use for a non-UK
approved product and I made this clear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 10:01:50 +0000, Scott
wrote:

[snip]

Thanks then. Sounds like I should give it a go to see if it grips
securely and if not find a way of filling the space. I'm starting to
get annoyed with the kitchen fitters now :-(

Update - the replacement dry lining box has fitted the space though
only just - there was about 1mm gap at the top, which I fixed with a
few gentle upward taps to the socket.

Thanks everyone for contributions to this discussion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The space for the freezer had been fitted by the housebuilder - two FCUs, one for refrigerator, one for freezer, both in wall above countertop. In the spaces, one switched socket in each.

Therefore I really didn't have to think very much. :-) Did not change fuse - actually didn't even look at it. Be amazed if it isn't default 13A.