Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Intermittent low water pressure

I had a shower mid morning today, and after applying shampoo, the shower
stopped, barely a drip. I waited, and was just about to drip and slide
my way to the bathroom on the floor below, when the shower came to life
again.

It was off for a few minutes. Funny thing is that this happened last
week too. There's no-one else using water here. We do have poor
pressure sometimes, I had thought it was early morning when people are
getting ready for work which wouldn't normally affect me.

This is an old three story terrace though the internal plumbing is
quite new and I'm confident any problem isn't internal. We have a
pressurised hot water system, so no header tanks.

Given that both times it happened recently the outage time was long
enough for a shower, is it possible that next door is using a pumped
shower and lowering the mains pressure for me? I will ask them, of
course, but only if it's not a stupid suggestion.

Possible, unlikely, nail on head?

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur pretended :
Given that both times it happened recently the outage time was long enough
for a shower, is it possible that next door is using a pumped shower and
lowering the mains pressure for me? I will ask them, of course, but only if
it's not a stupid suggestion.

Possible, unlikely, nail on head?

Possibly, sometimes terraced house would share a common water feed.
Time maybe to get your own pump installed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/01/2019 13:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Clive Arthur pretended :
Given that both times it happened recently the outage time was long
enough for a shower, is it possible that next door is using a pumped
shower and lowering the mains pressure for me?* I will ask them, of
course, but only if it's not a stupid suggestion.

Possible, unlikely, nail on head?

Possibly, sometimes terraced house would share a common water feed. Time
maybe to get your own pump installed.

Same for some semis around here.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 12:16:32 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

[...]

I had a similar problem except the drop in pressure only happened on
Saturdays. I complained to the water supply company, they installed a
data logger and subsequently they made some adjustments to the control
gear which resolved the problem.
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

I presume that youve checked that your own stopcock is fully open?

If the problem is outwith your house I think you should contact your water
company.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2019 12:16, Clive Arthur wrote:
I had a shower mid morning today, and after applying shampoo, the shower
stopped, barely a drip.Â* I waited, and was just about to drip and slide
my way to the bathroom on the floor below, when the shower came to life
again.

It was off for a few minutes.Â* Funny thing is that this happened last
week too.Â* There's no-one else using water here.Â* We do have poor
pressure sometimes, I had thought it was early morning when people are
getting ready for work which wouldn't normally affect me.

This is an oldÂ* three story terrace though the internal plumbing is
quite new and I'm confident any problem isn't internal.Â* We have a
pressurised hot water system, so no header tanks.

Given that both times it happened recently the outage time was long
enough for a shower, is it possible that next door is using a pumped
shower and lowering the mains pressure for me?Â* I will ask them, of
course, but only if it's not a stupid suggestion.

Possible, unlikely, nail on head?

I'd second the recommendation that you talk to your water company first.
They both know what pressure they aim to deliver to you and have the
means to monitor it.

Bear in mind that the service standard is only to maintain a minimum
pressure of 0.7 bar in your communication pipe. That's a head of only 7
metres. Even if they maintain 1 bar at the external stop tap and you
have few losses internally it's only 10m. So if your terrace doesn't
have a "lower ground floor" and this shower is on the second floor...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2019 12:16, Clive Arthur wrote:
I had a shower mid morning today, and after applying shampoo, the shower
stopped, barely a drip.Â* I waited, and was just about to drip and slide
my way to the bathroom on the floor below, when the shower came to life
again.

[snip]

If you can pick up a pattern, talk to your water supplier. Talk to your
immediate neighbours as well so see if they have noticed anything
different about the water pressure/supply to add evidencxe.

My (electric) shower was cutting out in the morning (there was a safety
cut out which operated when low water pressure to avoid scalding).

I talked to my water company, and explained the issue and pattern, and
after a bit of pushing and shoving, they finally admitted there was an
issue with some of their kit locally and did something about it, and
seem to have sorted it and I'm now having an uniterupted morning shower.

:-)