Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default overpainting metal bed frame

On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the guest's
bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

Corrected the group for you.

TIA

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a spray
can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the guest's
bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

oh for a time machine

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/01/2019 15:07, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a
spray can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the
guest's bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

oh for a time machine

The time spent getting a decent result. The cost of paint. The value of
the current secondhand bed, if in good nick. Are you sure this is a
worthwhile project?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 15:07, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a
spray can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the guest's
bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

oh for a time machine

The time spent getting a decent result.

define decent result?

average result will be sufficient

The cost of paint.

7.99 a tin. How many tins required?

The value of the current secondhand bed, if in good nick.

to someone else, 20 quid

to me, it still worth what I paid for it (which wasn't the current price of
79 quid)

Are you sure this is a worthwhile project?

compared with leaving it black? - dunno

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 17:23:37 UTC, tim... wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

The time spent getting a decent result.

define decent result?

average result will be sufficient

if you knew that you wouldn't be asking questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/01/2019 17:22, tim... wrote:

to me, it still worth what I paid for it (which wasn't the current price
of 79 quid)

Once you have badly over-painted it, surely it's value, even to you,
must go down?

Unless you do a proper coach-painting job, it will look pretty poor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2019 16:27, GB wrote:
On 05/01/2019 15:07, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a
spray can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the
guest's bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

oh for a time machine

The time spent getting a decent result. The cost of paint. The value of
the current secondhand bed, if in good nick. Are you sure this is a
worthwhile project?

Use some white duck tape on the bits that are on show ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trouble with spray painting narrow sections and tubes is that most of the spray goes into thin air and becomes very expensive using aerosols, using a proper spray painting setup makes a lot more sense. Aldi/Lidl often have compressors and spray guns on offer though for a one off it does not make sense. I think I would simply hand paint it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 16:27, GB wrote:
On 05/01/2019 15:07, tim... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 05/01/2019 13:09, tim... wrote:
I have a black metal bedframe a lot like this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261449

In my new house it really needs to be white.

How do I need to prepare the surface to achieve that

and then when I've done that, do I just spray it with paint from a
spray can?

*I don't want to spend too long on this project*, it's just the
guest's bedroom

In that case, I suggest one of these:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8542199

oh for a time machine

The time spent getting a decent result. The cost of paint. The value of
the current secondhand bed, if in good nick. Are you sure this is a
worthwhile project?

Use some white duck tape on the bits that are on show ;-)

fine for the first 6 months until it selectively starts to peal off

tim