Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Monthly battery charger?

A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

The elgato eve energy can do that. Programmed
with whatever you like, phone app, desktop system etc.

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 08:33:44 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip
He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

The elgato eve energy can do that.

Googles Hmm, not cheap but cheaper than many replacement battery
packs.

Programmed
with whatever you like, phone app, desktop system etc.

And no need for anything else? HomeKit etc?

So, on once for 2 hours per day and repeat monthly?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m formulated on Thursday :
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

A long way around to it, but a plug in electro-mechanical time clock
set to be on for 1 hour per day, with a second plug in timer set for
one hour on per day would turn a charger plugged in to the second one
on for one hour, in every 24 x 24 hours, or every 82.2 days. Set the
first one to 2 hours on per day and it becomes every 42.1 days, 3 hours
would produce every 27 days.

Note, both clocks would need to be synchronised at the beginning, by
both just clicking on at the same instant, or you would get weird out
of sync on's and off's.

Plug-in time clocks can be had for a couple of quid each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 08:33:44 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip
He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

The elgato eve energy can do that.

Googles Hmm, not cheap but cheaper than many replacement battery
packs.

Programmed
with whatever you like, phone app, desktop system etc.

And no need for anything else? HomeKit etc?

You do need the base to drive it.

So, on once for 2 hours per day and repeat monthly?

No limitations at all on the on time and frequency, once a year etc is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 10:09:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 08:33:44 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip
He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

The elgato eve energy can do that.

Googles Hmm, not cheap but cheaper than many replacement battery
packs.

Programmed
with whatever you like, phone app, desktop system etc.

And no need for anything else? HomeKit etc?

You do need the base to drive it.

Not out of the question as he like a gadget. I'll put it to him.

So, on once for 2 hours per day and repeat monthly?

No limitations at all on the on time and frequency, once a year etc is fine.

Sure, but I saw an example of 'Weekly' but wasn't sure if 'Monthly'
was in there as it's not a standard duration as daily / weekly or even
yearly as such (ignoring leap years etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m

I havent time to check the specs of any at the moment but that sounds
similar to the sort of timer that is used for long term time lapse
photography. Intervalometer would be the term to start a search on.
Obvously capabilitys vary with cost.

How long could the timers be set on old VCRs?
I think I had one that could bet set for months in advance but it has long
gone so cannot check but the
PIRA use a hidden one for the Brighton bomb setting it a fair way in
advance.
Old VCRs can still be found for asking so maybe one could be tinkered with.
ICBW but I think mine already had some method to turn on something external
like a satellite receiver or cable box.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 23:06:12 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m formulated on Thursday :
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

A long way around to it, but a plug in electro-mechanical time clock
set to be on for 1 hour per day, with a second plug in timer set for
one hour on per day would turn a charger plugged in to the second one
on for one hour, in every 24 x 24 hours, or every 82.2 days. Set the
first one to 2 hours on per day and it becomes every 42.1 days, 3 hours
would produce every 27 days.

27 days would be fine I'm sure, as it was only 'about a month' he was
looking for. But he asked for 'for two hours' (I think he's noted how
long it typically takes for all the batteries to become fully
charged). The first one set for 3 hours would initially drive the
second for 3 and it in turn would run for it's two plus and hour off.
So would that be 8 x 12 hours so once every 8 days (max)? Confused

Note, both clocks would need to be synchronised at the beginning, by
both just clicking on at the same instant, or you would get weird out
of sync on's and off's.

Understood.

Plug-in time clocks can be had for a couple of quid each.

So are we talking the straight mechanical clocks here Harry, the ones
with the segments or pins round the outside for setting the On/Off
times, or wouldn't they be accurate enough. The electronic / LCD /
digital timers would probably offer better accuracy assuming they
could do so when powered off themselves (free running rather than
mains synchronised, assuming they work like that)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jan 2019 23:46:39 GMT, Marland
wrote:

snip

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

I haven’t time to check the specs of any at the moment but that sounds
similar to the sort of timer that is used for long term time lapse
photography. Intervalometer would be the term to start a search on.
Obvously capability’s vary with cost.

Thanks for that. I found some info on a Canon one but that only went
up to 100 hours.

How long could the timers be set on old VCRs?
I think I had one that could bet set for months in advance but it has long
gone so cannot check but the
PIRA use a hidden one for the Brighton bomb setting it a fair way in
advance.
Old VCRs can still be found for asking so maybe one could be tinkered with.
ICBW but I think mine already had some method to turn on something external
like a satellite receiver or cable box.

I think that would be a bit too 'hands on' for both of us and even an
Arduino solution might be easier. ;-)

Thanks for the thoughts though ... it's this sort of OOTB thinking
that often *does* come up with a workable solution. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m

Best state for Li
batts is part charged, not full...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2019 21:01, T i m wrote:
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m

Just charge the tools up for a two minutes every day.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m submitted this idea :
27 days would be fine I'm sure, as it was only 'about a month' he was
looking for. But he asked for 'for two hours' (I think he's noted how
long it typically takes for all the batteries to become fully
charged). The first one set for 3 hours would initially drive the
second for 3 and it in turn would run for it's two plus and hour off.
So would that be 8 x 12 hours so once every 8 days (max)? Confused

I was busy watching something on TV, so I didn't think it through
properly, I'll leave it to others to double check the numbers. Not a
fully formed idea, but a cheap way to do it.

Note, both clocks would need to be synchronised at the beginning, by
both just clicking on at the same instant, or you would get weird out
of sync on's and off's.

Understood.

So are we talking the straight mechanical clocks here Harry, the ones
with the segments or pins round the outside for setting the On/Off
times, or wouldn't they be accurate enough. The electronic / LCD /
digital timers would probably offer better accuracy assuming they
could do so when powered off themselves (free running rather than
mains synchronised, assuming they work like that)?

Electrically driven synchronous mechanical clocks will offer best
accuracy, I would suggest. They type with pins, or fingers that you
flip out.

The electronic type usually run on a rechargeable battery and a cheap
oscillator when there is no mains. They can drift quite a lot on
battery.

Mains synched ones, will only miss a few mains cycles in starting and
stopping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has he considered the Armstrong method? set a reoccurring alarm on
something like a smart phone or smart speaker and having all the kit
plugged into a socket bar with a switch, alarm goes of man switches on bar,
second alarm goes off man switches off bar. These walk will make the man
fitter.
Of course not to be sexist, it could be a woman. You might have problems
training a dog or parrot to do this however... :-)
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

So, he would like to be able to power them on for say a couple of
hours, once a month to keep them charged up.

He hasn't been able to find a commercial / plug in timer to cover that
sort of cycle (7 days typically max) so wondered if anyone here had
come up with anything suitable?

Failing finding a production monthly timer, the next step might be a
Arduino / ESP type project with RTC or NTP and a mains output relay?

There are a few RTC / NTP examples out here and a mate should be able
to tweak such to suit our needs but if something already exists ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 00:18:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Best state for Li batts is part charged, not full...

Agreed, however, that would be difficult to manage especially across a
range of tools / devices and to an overcharged battery (for storage
purposes) was considered better (and more useful when needed at no
notice) than a flat / ruined one?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 02:39:04 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 03/01/2019 21:01, T i m wrote:
A mate has several combinations of rechargeable / battery powered kit
(portable tools, mobile radios etc) but doesn't use them all
frequently.

snip

Just charge the tools up for a two minutes every day.

Whilst I'm sure that would be better / safer than doing nothing, I'm
not sure it would be ideal with some of the intelligent chargers that
go though a bit of a routine before they indicate fully charged or
even start charging properly?

I think his idea is that a monthly recharge would allow the batteries
to self discharge a bit and two hours would be enough for them to
become fully charged and the charger lights go green etc (not that he
would be there to see it, just that's what he's been doing manually).

That said, there could be a compromise here, say a 7 day timer and a
10 min charge etc?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 09:02:04 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Has he considered the Armstrong method?

That's what he's been doing up to now Brian but the gear in question
is in an outbuilding and not so easy to get into (security),
especially when it's dark or raining etc.

set a reoccurring alarm on
something like a smart phone or smart speaker and having all the kit
plugged into a socket bar with a switch, alarm goes of man switches on bar,
second alarm goes off man switches off bar. These walk will make the man
fitter.

Or you are out for the weekend when you remember to respond to the
first or second alarms ... ;-)

Of course not to be sexist, it could be a woman.

In this case it's a man. ;-)

You might have problems
training a dog or parrot to do this however... :-)

Or kid ... weg

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m formulated on Friday :
Has he considered the Armstrong method?

That's what he's been doing up to now Brian but the gear in question
is in an outbuilding and not so easy to get into (security),
especially when it's dark or raining etc.

A wireless remote control mains socket would work around that problem.
I use four of them, one to remotely turn printers on, second to switch
several outdoor flood lights on, one to power some decorative lighting
indoors and the final one is used to turn some decorative lights on at
the far end of the garden. Yet another wireless remote, powers my fibre
modem which at the top of the house - it saves climbing up there to
force it to reboot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 00:18:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Best state for Li batts is part charged, not full...

Agreed, however, that would be difficult to manage especially across a
range of tools / devices and to an overcharged battery (for storage
purposes) was considered better (and more useful when needed at no
notice) than a flat / ruined one?

Cheers, T i m

I thought that difficulty was what you were attempting to deal
with, though two plug in timers working together does sound a
rather, if not actually "very", large compromise
;-)

Depending how intelligent the multiple? chargers are, & how long
between bouts of "normal usage", "topping up" will likely see the
batts off just as quick as not bothering...

Depends how much a new battery(s) is?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/01/2019 21:01, T i m wrote:
[...]

If the charger was on for a few minutes every day and it detected a
fully charged battery, nothing would happen. After x days the battery
would not be fully charged so the charger would then charge it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:21:42 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

snip

If the charger was on for a few minutes every day and it detected a
fully charged battery, nothing would happen.

Except some do (was my point). Some of the chargers use Delta rather
than straight voltage values (possibly NiCad / NiMh) and so do need to
be on for 'some time' before they indicate a fully charged state. I'm
not saying you need to wait for that, just that he does have some iffy
batteries and they do seem to take some charging to be considered
'charged'.

Same with my Optimates on LA batteries (and I am thinking of using
this sort of solution for my gaggle of Semi Traction batteries).

After x days the battery
would not be fully charged so the charger would then charge it.

I agree with Li based chargers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 11:20:09 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m formulated on Friday :
Has he considered the Armstrong method?

That's what he's been doing up to now Brian but the gear in question
is in an outbuilding and not so easy to get into (security),
especially when it's dark or raining etc.

A wireless remote control mains socket would work around that problem.

Again, it *would*, as long as you remember to actually turn it on an
off. ;-)

I use four of them, one to remotely turn printers on, second to switch
several outdoor flood lights on, one to power some decorative lighting
indoors and the final one is used to turn some decorative lights on at
the far end of the garden.

I had one for all the HiFi gear years ago.

Yet another wireless remote, powers my fibre
modem which at the top of the house - it saves climbing up there to
force it to reboot.

;-)

The other problem with that could be the lack of any positive
confirmation that the thing has switched? Ok if you see a water
feature start up or your floodlights come on but not if your chargers
don't actually turn on or off?

I think the best OOTB solution so far might be a 7 days timer with the
on time set to the shortest that will ensure even the slowest battery
indicates 'Charged'. It just means they will be held at a higher level
of charge more of the time (rather than self discharging a bit more
between charges).

That or we play Arduinos ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 11:53:51 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 00:18:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Best state for Li batts is part charged, not full...

Agreed, however, that would be difficult to manage especially across a
range of tools / devices and to an overcharged battery (for storage
purposes) was considered better (and more useful when needed at no
notice) than a flat / ruined one?

Cheers, T i m

I thought that difficulty was what you were attempting to deal
with, though two plug in timers working together does sound a
rather, if not actually "very", large compromise
;-)

Many solutions are a compromise, especially when dealing with a range
of rechargeable batteries.

Depending how intelligent the multiple? chargers are, & how long
between bouts of "normal usage", "topping up"

Yup.

will likely see the
batts off just as quick as not bothering...

Nope. Most of us will have older rechargeable battery powered kit that
have 'died' because of a failure to maintain the batteries *at all*.

I have fitted a new battery to one of my motorcycles, only to find it
completely flat (and therefore 'dead') when I've next gone to use it.
A solar charger on it or a regular re-charge would have saved it.

Depends how much a new battery(s) is?

In most cases, more than the cost of any solution that would go some
way to preventing such losses.

The last 'brand new' but dead bike battery I scrapped was £60 retail.
My mate has several De-Walt drills that had perfectly good batteries,
till he left them uncharged for ages ...

Not only can it be expensive it also mean these things aren't ready
for use.

I have many vehicles and even more batteries and they aren't my only
hobby. Automating some of this will same me (and my mate) money in
even the short term.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 00:18:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Best state for Li batts is part charged, not full...

Agreed, however, that would be difficult to manage especially across a
range of tools / devices and to an overcharged battery (for storage
purposes) was considered better (and more useful when needed at no
notice) than a flat / ruined one?

Cheers, T i m

I thought that difficulty was what you were attempting to deal
with, though two plug in timers working together does sound a
rather, if not actually "very", large compromise
;-)

Many solutions are a compromise, especially when dealing with a range
of rechargeable batteries.

Mmm

Depending how intelligent the multiple? chargers are, & how long
between bouts of "normal usage", "topping up"

Yup.

will likely see the
batts off just as quick as not bothering...

Nope. Most of us will have older rechargeable battery powered kit that
have 'died' because of a failure to maintain the batteries *at all*.

Others including me will also have kit that died because it was
left on charge...

I have fitted a new battery to one of my motorcycles, only to find it
completely flat (and therefore 'dead') when I've next gone to use it.
A solar charger on it or a regular re-charge would have saved it.

Possibly. Or just disconnecting it as you clearly werent using the
bike...

Depends how much a new battery(s) is?

In most cases, more than the cost of any solution that would go some
way to preventing such losses.

The last 'brand new' but dead bike battery I scrapped was £60 retail.
My mate has several De-Walt drills that had perfectly good batteries,
till he left them uncharged for ages ...

Obvious question is why does he have several if he didn't use them
(or care for them)?

Not only can it be expensive it also mean these things aren't ready
for use.

With such limited use maybe he should get a corded version?

I have many vehicles and even more batteries and they aren't my only
hobby. Automating some of this will same me (and my mate) money in
even the short term.

I'll watch with interest

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:14:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Many solutions are a compromise, especially when dealing with a range
of rechargeable batteries.

Mmm

Nope, they really are.

Depending how intelligent the multiple? chargers are, & how long
between bouts of "normal usage", "topping up"

Yup.

will likely see the
batts off just as quick as not bothering...

Nope. Most of us will have older rechargeable battery powered kit that
have 'died' because of a failure to maintain the batteries *at all*.

Others including me will also have kit that died because it was
left on charge...

Quite (and the whole point of the thread).

I have fitted a new battery to one of my motorcycles, only to find it
completely flat (and therefore 'dead') when I've next gone to use it.
A solar charger on it or a regular re-charge would have saved it.

Possibly. Or just disconnecting it as you clearly werent using the
bike...

I didn't know you lived to close to be able to know that?

See, when you have several vehicles you often don't know if / when you
might use any one of them as it depends on a myriad of variables, many
of them external. Disconnecting the batteries would have made no
difference as none of my bikes have any kit running when the ignition
is turned off. Bringing them indoors may have helped a little [1], but
not as much as charging them once in a while ....

Depends how much a new battery(s) is?

In most cases, more than the cost of any solution that would go some
way to preventing such losses.

The last 'brand new' but dead bike battery I scrapped was £60 retail.
My mate has several De-Walt drills that had perfectly good batteries,
till he left them uncharged for ages ...

Obvious question is why does he have several if he didn't use them
(or care for them)?

Because sometimes you do? You buy a battery drill and then later buy a
better / faster / more powerful / impact one. Then one day you need
two drills on the go and find your first one is now dead.

Not only can it be expensive it also mean these things aren't ready
for use.

With such limited use maybe he should get a corded version?

Corded motorbike? Corded walkie talkies? Corded torches?

I have many vehicles and even more batteries and they aren't my only
hobby. Automating some of this will same me (and my mate) money in
even the short term.

I'll watch with interest

Good. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I take the battery out of the 250 scooter because it's small,
sealed and very easy to do. Getting the battery out of the BMW R80 or
kitcar is less so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:14:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Many solutions are a compromise, especially when dealing with a range
of rechargeable batteries.

Mmm

Nope, they really are.

Mmmm

Depending how intelligent the multiple? chargers are, & how long
between bouts of "normal usage", "topping up"

Yup.

will likely see the
batts off just as quick as not bothering...

Nope. Most of us will have older rechargeable battery powered kit that
have 'died' because of a failure to maintain the batteries *at all*.

Others including me will also have kit that died because it was
left on charge...

Quite (and the whole point of the thread).

So your best solution so far is to charge potentially already
charged batteries for a couple of hours a month, to try & make
them last longer than either not charging them or charging them,
whilst not using them, so when you finally decide you want to
use one it might work?

I have fitted a new battery to one of my motorcycles, only to find it
completely flat (and therefore 'dead') when I've next gone to use it.
A solar charger on it or a regular re-charge would have saved it.

Possibly. Or just disconnecting it as you clearly werent using the
bike...

I didn't know you lived to close to be able to know that?

Shurely it's obvious to even a dead clairvoyant?

Disconnecting the batteries would have made no
difference as none of my bikes have any kit running when the ignition
is turned off.

So what killed the battery?

[...]

Bike -See above. Rest - Disposable/replaceable rechargeable
battery versions?

How has the rest of humanity survived this far...

I'll watch with interest

Good. ;-)

FSV of ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Junior Member

Location: Colombia
Send a message via ICQ to JameBUYv Send a message via AIM to JameBUYv Send a message via Yahoo to JameBUYv Send a message via Skype™ to JameBUYv

It is interesting. Tell to me, please - where I can find more information on this question?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 13:05:20 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:14:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Many solutions are a compromise, especially when dealing with a range
of rechargeable batteries.

Mmm

Nope, they really are.

Mmmm

Nope, they still really are.

snip

Others including me will also have kit that died because it was
left on charge...

Quite (and the whole point of the thread).

So your best solution so far is to charge potentially already
charged batteries for a couple of hours a month, to try & make
them last longer than either not charging them or charging them,
whilst not using them, so when you finally decide you want to
use one it might work?

By jove I think he's got it!

I have fitted a new battery to one of my motorcycles, only to find it
completely flat (and therefore 'dead') when I've next gone to use it.
A solar charger on it or a regular re-charge would have saved it.

Possibly. Or just disconnecting it as you clearly werent using the
bike...

I didn't know you lived to close to be able to know that?

Shurely it's obvious to even a dead clairvoyant?

Apparently not. ;-(

Disconnecting the batteries would have made no
difference as none of my bikes have any kit running when the ignition
is turned off.

So what killed the battery?

It's a lead acid so 'self discharge?

snip

With such limited use maybe he should get a corded version?

Corded motorbike? Corded walkie talkies? Corded torches?

Bike -See above. Rest - Disposable/replaceable rechargeable
battery versions?

I do like your (non) solutions ... (not).

How has the rest of humanity survived this far...

You? Fcuk knows!

I'll watch with interest

Good. ;-)

FSV of ;-)

Of course.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 12:14:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

[...]

Just how long was this bike (that could be used at any time) left
unused?
You'd think someone would invent a float charger for underused old
bangers etc to maintain a lead acid to prevent "self discharge"
happening, I mean it's not like "new" technology is it? .... Ooh
hang on...

snip

With such limited use maybe he should get a corded version?

Corded motorbike? Corded walkie talkies? Corded torches?

Bike -See above. Rest - Disposable/replaceable rechargeable
battery versions?

I do like your (non) solutions ... (not).

Blinded by your own convoluted brilliance again?

How has the rest of humanity survived this far...

You? Fcuk knows!

Oh dear dear!

I think "humanity" implies plurality, unless your "superior"
"ahead of the curve" thinking has redefined that on your way down
your latest overly complicated imaginary rabbit hole?
;-)

Do keep us posted, especially how many plug in timers you end up
buying :-D

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 14:32:45 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Just how long was this bike (that could be used at any time) left
unused?

~+9 months, that time.

You'd think someone would invent a float charger for underused old
bangers etc to maintain a lead acid to prevent "self discharge"
happening, I mean it's not like "new" technology is it? .... Ooh
hang on...

Ah, so in your version of the real world, you can get all these
machines on permanent charge, even if parked on the public highway or
some way away from the house?

Oh, hang on ...

I do like your (non) solutions ... (not).

Blinded by your own convoluted brilliance again?

And you are overwhelmed by your own (left brainer) stupidity (still)?

How has the rest of humanity survived this far...

You? Fcuk knows!

Oh dear dear!

Frightening eh. I guess you just wallow about in your own mess as
that's easier than having to come up with ways of making things
better? As long as that works for you of course ... others like to
consider something different.

I think "humanity" implies plurality,

'Includes' but is not unique to.

unless your "superior"
"ahead of the curve" thinking has redefined that on your way down
your latest overly complicated imaginary rabbit hole?
;-)

Is this your inferiority complex kicking in again? Remember what they
told you about keeping up your medication. ;-(

Do keep us posted, especially how many plug in timers you end up
buying :-D

Certainly I can.

Here, you know all the answers to everyone's problems, even you have
no clue about the situation, could you send me the code for such a
timer for use on an Arduino Uno please. Along with everything else I'm
sure you'll be able to make up all the parts needed to go with it. No
point anyone helping you with any of that ... you already have all the
answers ...

Email address works ...

Thanks in advance. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 12:09:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Here, you know all the answers to everyone's problems, even you have
no clue about the situation, could you send me the code for such a
timer for use on an Arduino Uno please. Along with everything else I'm
sure you'll be able to make up all the parts needed to go with it. No
point anyone helping you with any of that ... you already have all the
answers ...

Email address works ...

Thanks in advance. ;-)

Ooh dear...

Wassup, can't do the code, don't know how to attach it to an email or
don't actually have a clue what people who aren't you might want to
do? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 12:09:35 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Here, you know all the answers to everyone's problems, even you have
no clue about the situation, could you send me the code for such a
timer for use on an Arduino Uno please. Along with everything else I'm
sure you'll be able to make up all the parts needed to go with it. No
point anyone helping you with any of that ... you already have all the
answers ...

Email address works ...

Thanks in advance. ;-)

Ooh dear...

Wassup, can't do the code, don't know how to attach it to an email or
don't actually have a clue what people who aren't you might want to
do? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Why don't you run into and do some more "blue sky thinking" dear -
you know you like doing that...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 12:38:24 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Wassup, can't do the code, don't know how to attach it to an email or
don't actually have a clue what people who aren't you might want to
do? ;-)

Why don't you run into and do some more "blue sky thinking"

I may well do, thanks.

dear -

Aww blush

you know you like doing that...

I do like to keep an open mind on things, that's for sure as it
generally allows one to be more flexible / adaptable.

But hey, you already knew all that didn't you ... even if you don't
enjoy such things yourself ... [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Most other people who have contributed to this thread so far have
been positive in offering suggestions to resolve the question,
understanding and accepting that the scenario is fairly specific.

You on the other hand seem to (as usual) insist that the scenario
outlined isn't valid or can be replaced with alternatives (which they
can't for 100 other reasons you could never accept).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 12:38:24 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Wassup, can't do the code, don't know how to attach it to an email or
don't actually have a clue what people who aren't you might want to
do? ;-)

Why don't you run into and do some more "blue sky thinking"

I may well do, thanks.

dear -

Aww blush

you know you like doing that...

I do like to keep an open mind on things, that's for sure as it
generally allows one to be more flexible / adaptable.

But hey, you already knew all that didn't you ... even if you don't
enjoy such things yourself ... [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Most other people who have contributed to this thread so far have
been positive in offering suggestions to resolve the question,
understanding and accepting that the scenario is fairly specific.

And my what a throng of star studded responders you've gathered
once again ;-)

You on the other hand seem to (as usual) insist that the scenario
outlined isn't valid or can be replaced with alternatives (which they
can't for 100 other reasons you could never accept).

& you T i m continue to fixate on setting off to find complicated
"techno 'duino" solutions to unusual situations that (after a
little backtracking) appear to be the result of compounded
earlier bad decisions.
Presumably why, amazingly enough, no-one on here had come up with
anything remotely similar to your "problem" or your "solution" -
because they hadn't ever been or imagined themselves in your
(mate's ;-) ) situation..

The realistic solutions to your (mate's ;-) ) woes would involve
making smarter decisions earlier on rather than waiting until
it's all FUBARd & then try to remedy it with your usual
convoluted "stoned" thinking...

You then get defensively upset when pertinent questions are asked
about the background assumptions to "your plan"... the answers to
which, let's be honest, are usually not difficult & then the
junior mud slinging starts...

In short - analyse more before you start on the epic "because I
can!" solution designing ;-)

Good luck with it (...all).

(spaced.me.uk - appropriate epitaph for you ;-) )

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 13:26:28 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

[1] Most other people who have contributed to this thread so far have
been positive in offering suggestions to resolve the question,
understanding and accepting that the scenario is fairly specific.

And my what a throng of star studded responders you've gathered
once again ;-)

'Charming' I'm sure.

You on the other hand seem to (as usual) insist that the scenario
outlined isn't valid or can be replaced with alternatives (which they
can't for 100 other reasons you could never accept).

& you T i m continue to fixate on setting off to find complicated
"techno 'duino" solutions to unusual situations that (after a
little backtracking) appear to be the result of compounded
earlier bad decisions.

The only reason I was open to a full d-i-y solution was the thought
that I / we wouldn't be able to find an easier / commercial one.

Presumably why, amazingly enough, no-one on here had come up with
anything remotely similar to your "problem" or your "solution" -
because they hadn't ever been or imagined themselves in your
(mate's ;-) ) situation..

And? Is your entire world governed by what you see here? Back to your
'closed mind' thinking.

The realistic solutions to your (mate's ;-) ) woes would involve
making smarter decisions earlier on rather than waiting until
it's all FUBARd & then try to remedy it with your usual
convoluted "stoned" thinking...

Ah, I didn't realise your fanatic Brexiteers crystal ball was so
flexible? No 'hindsight' in your world then either?

You then get defensively upset when pertinent questions are asked
about the background assumptions to "your plan"...

Bwhahaha. Back to your own insecurities again eh? ;-(

the answers to
which, let's be honest, are usually not difficult & then the
junior mud slinging starts...

*Your* mud ... I have it very clear ...

In short - analyse more before you start on the epic "because I
can!" solution designing ;-)

Why? Asking such questions here is very much part of being open to all
sorts of suggestions. You know you can stick to not answering peoples
questions on other media you know? No need to read anything I type or
pretending to understand / answer it?

Good luck with it (...all).

Thanks. ;-)

(spaced.me.uk - appropriate epitaph for you ;-) )

Another penny nearly (but not) dropped for you eh! Hopefully you
*will* get there in the end. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m formulated the question :
Why? Asking such questions here is very much part of being open to all
sorts of suggestions. You know you can stick to not answering peoples
questions on other media you know? No need to read anything I type or
pretending to understand / answer it?

Rather than getting embroiled in an endless exchange with him, wasted
effort and wasted breath - just do what I did, apply a filter so he can
join the rest of the newsgroup's 'no-hopers'.

I consider myself fairly tolerant of other people's mental issues, but
there has to be a limit to what is acceptable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 14:11:03 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m formulated the question :
Why? Asking such questions here is very much part of being open to all
sorts of suggestions. You know you can stick to not answering peoples
questions on other media you know? No need to read anything I type or
pretending to understand / answer it?

Rather than getting embroiled in an endless exchange with him, wasted
effort and wasted breath - just do what I did, apply a filter so he can
join the rest of the newsgroup's 'no-hopers'.

I was really just playing him along. It's funny.

I consider myself fairly tolerant of other people's mental issues, but
there has to be a limit to what is acceptable.

Noted.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m formulated on Sunday :
I was really just playing him along. It's funny.

I consider myself fairly tolerant of other people's mental issues, but
there has to be a limit to what is acceptable.

Noted.

As did I, until he became offensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 13:26:28 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Bigger snip

(spaced.me.uk - appropriate epitaph for you ;-) )

Another penny nearly (but not) dropped for you eh! Hopefully you
*will* get there in the end. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

If "there" is where you & the likes of Harry ("very") Bumptious
are at, I'd rather not if it's all the same to you
;-)

Closed minds open coffins...

Above all keep smiling :-) or the involuntary gritting of teeth or
whatever Alt equivalent OOTB "defining thing" you choose to do
instead ;-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
T i m formulated on Sunday :
I was really just playing him along. It's funny.

I consider myself fairly tolerant of other people's mental issues, but
there has to be a limit to what is acceptable.

Noted.

As did I, until he became offensive.

Your memory is still atrocious...
--