DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/628504-12v-battery-charger-screwfix-specifications.html)

David January 1st 19 11:00 AM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/streetwiz...matic-battery-
charger-12v/7752r#product_additional_details_container

"12V automatic heavy duty plastic-cased battery charger for car,
motorcycle and lawn mower batteries. LEDs show current charging levels.
Double insulated and protected against thermal overload and reverse
battery connection."

However:
"230V. DC. Max. battery size 6Ah. Weight: 1.4kg" ????

Shirley the smallest motor car battery is around 40 Ah?

Something does not compute; I assume that the details are wrong.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. Happy New Year!

--
Dell XPS laptop running W8.1

T i m January 1st 19 11:15 AM

On 1 Jan 2019 11:00:00 GMT, David wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/streetwiz...matic-battery-
charger-12v/7752r#product_additional_details_container

"12V automatic heavy duty plastic-cased battery charger for car,
motorcycle and lawn mower batteries. LEDs show current charging levels.
Double insulated and protected against thermal overload and reverse
battery connection."

However:
"230V. DC. Max. battery size 6Ah. Weight: 1.4kg" ????

Shirley the smallest motor car battery is around 40 Ah?

Something does not compute; I assume that the details are wrong.

The only thing I can see wrong IS that mention of 6Ah with battery
power.

A 6A it would (eventually) charge even the biggest (good) battery you
are likely to find on a conventional (12V) vehicle.

The only rider on that would be if it has a timeout, automatically
cutting it off before it had fully charged a big battery.

Cheers, T i m

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 1st 19 12:36 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

It happens that David formulated :
However:
"230V. DC. Max. battery size 6Ah. Weight: 1.4kg" ????

Shirley the smallest motor car battery is around 40 Ah?

Something does not compute; I assume that the details are wrong.

I think they have their amps and amp/hours mixed up. The maximum output
is 6amps. I would be a little wary of the 'automatic' part of the
description, it reads as if it a basic transformer, rectifier with
ammeter unit with no automatic control so if left will over-charge a
battery.

Terry Casey January 1st 19 05:03 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

In article ,
says...

I think they have their amps and amp/hours mixed up. The maximum output
is 6amps. I would be a little wary of the 'automatic' part of the
description, it reads as if it a basic transformer, rectifier with
ammeter unit with no automatic control so if left will over-charge a
battery.

I'd certainly agree with the first part of that - the same
error occurs in the spec for the 4A version as well.
Interestingly, both entries carry exactly the same series of
customer reviews!

It seems to be impossible to find a detailed specification for
these chargers. I found a document relating to the larger
6/12V switchable 8 & 12A versions but these are only operating
instructions. The nearest irt comes to a specification is to
state the maximum charge rates but, at least, is does say that
the 12A version is suitable bir batteries up to 160 Ah and up
to 112 Ah the 8A version so, pro rata, the figure for the 6A
one underdiscussion here is likekly to be in the region 0f 75
- 80 Ah.

As to whether it is really 'automatic' or not, if it isn't,
surely that will be a serious offence under the Trade
Descriptions Act?

You can always ask, though:

Technical enquiries:

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 1st 19 08:43 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

on 01/01/2019, Terry Casey supposed :
As to whether it is really 'automatic' or not, if it isn't,
surely that will be a serious offence under the Trade
Descriptions Act?

I suspect not, it will 'automatically' charge your battery, trouble is
it will not stop when fully charged. It looks very much like a
conventional old fashioned charger, just the power switch and ammeter.
Modern auto-chargers usually have a button to initiate the charge and
will refuse to initiate if the polarity is reversed - no sign of that.

Personally, I dumped that sort of charger decades ago.

[email protected] January 2nd 19 01:32 AM

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 11:00:03 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/streetwiz...matic-battery-
charger-12v/7752r#product_additional_details_container

"12V automatic heavy duty plastic-cased battery charger for car,
motorcycle and lawn mower batteries. LEDs show current charging levels.
Double insulated and protected against thermal overload and reverse
battery connection."

However:
"230V. DC. Max. battery size 6Ah. Weight: 1.4kg" ????

Shirley the smallest motor car battery is around 40 Ah?

Something does not compute; I assume that the details are wrong.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. Happy New Year!

It looks like a 6A car battery charger. If so the max 6Ah claim is nonsense.

NT

Dave Plowman (News) January 2nd 19 10:42 AM

Terry Casey wrote:
It seems to be impossible to find a detailed specification for
these chargers. I found a document relating to the larger
6/12V switchable 8 & 12A versions but these are only operating
instructions. The nearest irt comes to a specification is to
state the maximum charge rates but, at least, is does say that
the 12A version is suitable bir batteries up to 160 Ah and up
to 112 Ah the 8A version so, pro rata, the figure for the 6A
one underdiscussion here is likekly to be in the region 0f 75
- 80 Ah.

I'll bet those charge figures are a peak output plucked from the air.

Makes you wonder how the car alternator can re-charge the battery so
quickly if 6 amps is a safe amount into an 80 amp.hr battery which is
towards the large size for most cars.

I have a Halfords charger - a few years old but claims to be automatic. On
the front says 11 amps. It takes longer to charge my car battery than the
14 quid Lidl one which only claims about 4 amps.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) January 2nd 19 10:45 AM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 01/01/2019, Terry Casey supposed :
As to whether it is really 'automatic' or not, if it isn't,
surely that will be a serious offence under the Trade
Descriptions Act?

I suspect not, it will 'automatically' charge your battery, trouble is
it will not stop when fully charged. It looks very much like a
conventional old fashioned charger, just the power switch and ammeter.
Modern auto-chargers usually have a button to initiate the charge and
will refuse to initiate if the polarity is reversed - no sign of that.

Personally, I dumped that sort of charger decades ago.

All you need to prevent wrong connection is an internal relay with the
coil fed via a diode from the battery. That's been a feature of many for a
long time.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Peter Parry January 2nd 19 10:53 AM

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:32:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It looks like a 6A car battery charger. If so the max 6Ah claim is nonsense.

How dare you cast Nasturtiums upon honourable ancestors Chinese
descriptions. Search for SWBCG6 brings up a number of sellers and
such details as :-

"Charge rate: 4.2 Adc equal to 6 Amps RMS"
"Suitable Use Type : Suitable for Lead & Acid Batteries"
" Ideal For Porsche 911"
"Suitable for cars up to 2.5L (2500cc)"
"Not suitable for children under 14 years"
"Current Type : DC"
"Not suitable for trickle charge"
"Ideal for Long-Term Connection"

It does seem a shame it can't be used on children under 14.

charles January 2nd 19 11:12 AM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

In article , Peter Parry
wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:32:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It looks like a 6A car battery charger. If so the max 6Ah claim is
nonsense.

How dare you cast Nasturtiums upon honourable ancestors Chinese
descriptions. Search for SWBCG6 brings up a number of sellers and such
details as :-

"Charge rate: 4.2 Adc equal to 6 Amps RMS" "Suitable Use Type : Suitable
for Lead & Acid Batteries" " Ideal For Porsche 911" "Suitable for cars up
to 2.5L (2500cc)" "Not suitable for children under 14 years" "Current
Type : DC" "Not suitable for trickle charge" "Ideal for Long-Term
Connection"

It does seem a shame it can't be used on children under 14.

but with them it's oftena matter of usingb up energy, rather than adding it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

T i m January 2nd 19 11:55 AM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:43:00 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 01/01/2019, Terry Casey supposed :
As to whether it is really 'automatic' or not, if it isn't,
surely that will be a serious offence under the Trade
Descriptions Act?

I suspect not, it will 'automatically' charge your battery, trouble is
it will not stop when fully charged. It looks very much like a
conventional old fashioned charger, just the power switch and ammeter.
Modern auto-chargers usually have a button to initiate the charge and
will refuse to initiate if the polarity is reversed - no sign of that.

I have an old 'automatic' Halfords charger that has no buttons to
initiate anything and stops (or goes into maintain mode, I can't
remember) when the battery is fully charged. Just two rocker switches,
one for High / Low (charging current) and one for Sealed / Std. Two
LEDS, one amber one for charging and a green for charged.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/cc-ecommerce/product_catalog/0017/16/thumb_1615334_product_catalog_medium.jpeg

Personally, I dumped that sort of charger decades ago.

Only a few of my modern 'auto-chargers' have a button on them to
initiate anything either (Optimate 2,3,4 and 6).

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-6

I do have a couple of the Lidl Ctek clones but I rarely use them
because ICBA to press the button to get them going. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

T i m January 2nd 19 12:00 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:42:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have a Halfords charger - a few years old but claims to be automatic. On
the front says 11 amps. It takes longer to charge my car battery than the
14 quid Lidl one which only claims about 4 amps.

But that final time can depend on the time *it* takes to manage the
final phase?

Like the Optimates go though a charge and leave stage at the end and
monitor how much the voltage drops when left. If it drops too much it
starts charging again and will only put up the 'Done' LED, once it
really is. Therefore, it might appear to take longer than a more basic
lower powered charger because it's more thorough?

(I'm not saying that IS the case with your chargers etc ...)

Cheers, T i m

Dave Plowman (News) January 2nd 19 04:24 PM

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:42:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have a Halfords charger - a few years old but claims to be automatic. On
the front says 11 amps. It takes longer to charge my car battery than the
14 quid Lidl one which only claims about 4 amps.

But that final time can depend on the time *it* takes to manage the
final phase?

Quite. I'd guess the Lidl one bashes in its full output 'till fully
charged. Unlike the crude Halfords one that works on battery terminal
voltage.

Like the Optimates go though a charge and leave stage at the end and
monitor how much the voltage drops when left. If it drops too much it
starts charging again and will only put up the 'Done' LED, once it
really is. Therefore, it might appear to take longer than a more basic
lower powered charger because it's more thorough?

(I'm not saying that IS the case with your chargers etc ...)

Basically, the old Rover has quite a high quiescent load on the battery
due to a 'sophisticated' alarm and other toys I've added. And the car may
not get regular use. So I charge the battery every three weeks, if it's
not been used. If one charger was doing a better job of fully charging the
battery, I'd guess I'd notice. ;-).

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 2nd 19 05:53 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :
I'll bet those charge figures are a peak output plucked from the air.

Makes you wonder how the car alternator can re-charge the battery so
quickly if 6 amps is a safe amount into an 80 amp.hr battery which is
towards the large size for most cars.

Peak of the ac current and only into a large and very flat battery,
output will go down drastically as the battery take a charge and builds
up some voltage.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] January 2nd 19 05:58 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 02/01/2019 :
All you need to prevent wrong connection is an internal relay with the
coil fed via a diode from the battery. That's been a feature of many for a
long time.

I am aware of that thank you, but this charger doesn't not suggest it
has any reverse protection. It appears to have just an on/off mains
switch and an ammeter. Nothing to indicate the charge is complete, so
likely just a transformer and a rectum fryer inside.

T i m January 2nd 19 11:57 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:24:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 10:42:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have a Halfords charger - a few years old but claims to be automatic. On
the front says 11 amps. It takes longer to charge my car battery than the
14 quid Lidl one which only claims about 4 amps.

But that final time can depend on the time *it* takes to manage the
final phase?

Quite. I'd guess the Lidl one bashes in its full output 'till fully
charged.

I don't know any good (non faulty) LA charger that would work like
that, not without the potential to cook (/overgas) the battery that is
(depending on the ability of the charger and the capacity of the
battery). Even the charger for my EV (200Ah / 48V battery) only gives
full output (current) for the bulk charge phase before tapering down
to next to nothing.

Unlike the crude Halfords one that works on battery terminal
voltage.

Don't most chargers work that way, even straight transformer /
rectifier (taper) ones?

Like the Optimates go though a charge and leave stage at the end and
monitor how much the voltage drops when left. If it drops too much it
starts charging again and will only put up the 'Done' LED, once it
really is. Therefore, it might appear to take longer than a more basic
lower powered charger because it's more thorough?

(I'm not saying that IS the case with your chargers etc ...)

Basically, the old Rover has quite a high quiescent load on the battery
due to a 'sophisticated' alarm and other toys I've added. And the car may
not get regular use. So I charge the battery every three weeks, if it's
not been used. If one charger was doing a better job of fully charging the
battery, I'd guess I'd notice. ;-).

Funnily enough I was talking to a mate tonight about his desire to
automatically turn on various battery chargers for (say) 120 mins once
every month. He said he couldn't find a 30 day timer (?) so I was
thinking of one of the ESP / Arduino's might be handy?

Cheers, T i m

Commander Kinsey January 3rd 19 12:13 AM

Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a transformer and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out 4A. Once the battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp. Basically it just gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a lead acid. The battery itself prevents overcharge by taking far less current once it's full. Lead acids are very easy to charge without complicated circuitry. You only need complicated circuitry if you want to charge them really fast. How do you think a car alternator works? It just feeds 14.4V to the battery continuously. Probably a bad idea 24/7, but the car ain't running 24/7.

Dave Plowman (News) January 4th 19 06:17 PM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a transformer
and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out 4A. Once the
battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp. Basically it just
gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a lead acid.

The output of a basic battery charger will vary a lot due to the
transformer regulation and so on. A basic one is very unlikely to produce
a constant voltage - unless specifically for SLA gel types.

The battery itself prevents overcharge by taking far less current once
it's full. Lead acids are very easy to charge without complicated
circuitry. You only need complicated circuitry if you want to charge
them really fast. How do you think a car alternator works? It just
feeds 14.4V to the battery continuously. Probably a bad idea 24/7,
but the car ain't running 24/7.

No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is charged.
It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries are semi sealed
and don't like gassing.

I have a very accurate voltmeter fitted to one car, and the volts do go up
to over 14 when the battery is low, but the normal figure is not
surprisingly 13.8v. It can be a little lower with heavy loads at low
engine speeds.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Commander Kinsey January 4th 19 07:27 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 18:17:29 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a transformer
and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out 4A. Once the
battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp. Basically it just
gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a lead acid.

The output of a basic battery charger will vary a lot due to the
transformer regulation and so on. A basic one is very unlikely to produce
a constant voltage - unless specifically for SLA gel types.

I presume the transformer and diodes are chosen so it never goes about about 13.5 volts, which means it'll charge at 4A if the battery really needs a boost, limited by the resistance in the transformer coils, then drop off to virtually no current at around 13.5V once it's full. On my 60Ah car battery, it charges at 4A if I've even just used it slightly (for example put the headlights on for a few minutes with the engine off). If I leave it overnight, it's 0.4A in the morning, and the battery is completely full.

The battery itself prevents overcharge by taking far less current once
it's full. Lead acids are very easy to charge without complicated
circuitry. You only need complicated circuitry if you want to charge
them really fast. How do you think a car alternator works? It just
feeds 14.4V to the battery continuously. Probably a bad idea 24/7,
but the car ain't running 24/7.

No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is charged.
It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries are semi sealed
and don't like gassing.

Maybe modern cars have a regulator to stop that, but older cars (and I mean around the turn of the century ones, not vintage) don't. If you put a meter on the battery when the engine is running, it's always over 14V. I assume batteries don't really mind that as long as it's just for driving time - they'd be upset if you did it 24/7.

I have a very accurate voltmeter fitted to one car, and the volts do go up
to over 14 when the battery is low, but the normal figure is not
surprisingly 13.8v.

You've got me interested now, so I'm going to check my 2002 Renault Scenic.... maybe I've never checked the voltage after the car's been running for a bit.
This website says a continuous charge should be 12.9 to 14.1V for a full battery:
https://www.powerstream.com/SLA.htm
The battery is currently fully charged, I was driving it this afternoon, I'll go start it and take readings every 10 minutes....
14.44V on the battery terminals just after starting, engine idling.
14.22V after 10 minutes (no increase when revving it up).
14.19V after 20 minutes - maybe you're right! Something's making it decide to drop the voltage, although only slightly. I thought a "regulator" on a car alternator was just a set of diodes.

However I then connected my old 4A Bradex car battery charger to it with the engine off, and it quickly rose to 14.4V. Maybe I shouldn't be leaving that on overnight.... although if it's only giving out half an amp, which is 1/120th of it's capacity, that can't do any harm? I have noticed that the green float indicator (which I never trust) is now white and the battery is only a year old. I leave the charger connected all night, since the alarm has a habit of draining the battery overnight for no reason, and I can find no way of disconnecting it without dismantling the entire dashboard - they hide them well from theives!

It can be a little lower with heavy loads at low engine speeds.

What seems to surprise a lot of people is an alternator will rapidly charge a battery at idle engine speed, most people seem to think you have to drive around.

Also, when jumpstarting someone else's car, you don't have to start the donor car. The donor car has a good battery, it's therefore capable of starting the other engine just as easily as its own one (unless you have really ****ty thin jump leads that lose voltage - my jump leads are 13mm thick each - I think they were sold as lorry jump leads, rated at 600 amps or something). I didn't get them to conduct better, but so they didn't fall apart with age like Halfords ones do. I've jumpstarted plenty cars with normal jumpleads without starting the donor car first. On that subject, I occasionally hear weird myths about certain BMW or Mercedes cars exploding (the battery I think) when they're jumpstarted - this can't be true unless they use 6 volts or something?! Or more likely some stupid fool connected the black and red wires the wrong way round?

Commander Kinsey January 4th 19 07:57 PM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a transformer
and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out 4A. Once the
battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp. Basically it just
gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a lead acid.

The output of a basic battery charger will vary a lot due to the
transformer regulation and so on. A basic one is very unlikely to produce
a constant voltage - unless specifically for SLA gel types.

Just been reading up on Li-Ion car batteries (I assume they have charging protection built into them so they can just be dropped into an existing car). They cost twice as much but should last 4 times as long. They're lighter, so motorcyclists love them, not sure the weight is important in a car though.

Dave Plowman (News) January 5th 19 11:47 AM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is
charged. It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries are
semi sealed and don't like gassing.

Maybe modern cars have a regulator to stop that,

Pretty well all cars - even in dynamo days - have a regulator. In most
alternators, it's built in.

but older cars (and I
mean around the turn of the century ones, not vintage) don't. If you
put a meter on the battery when the engine is running, it's always over
14V. I assume batteries don't really mind that as long as it's just for
driving time - they'd be upset if you did it 24/7.

If you check the battery volts just after a cold start, you'd be right.
You need to hook up your meter to show the volts after some time running,
when the battery is charged.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman (News) January 5th 19 11:54 AM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a
transformer and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out
4A. Once the battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp.
Basically it just gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a
lead acid.

The output of a basic battery charger will vary a lot due to the
transformer regulation and so on. A basic one is very unlikely to
produce a constant voltage - unless specifically for SLA gel types.

Just been reading up on Li-Ion car batteries (I assume they have
charging protection built into them so they can just be dropped into an
existing car). They cost twice as much but should last 4 times as long.
They're lighter, so motorcyclists love them, not sure the weight is
important in a car though.

All types of batteries require a different charger.

Wet lead acid is popular because it is less critical of the charging
routine than other types.

Must admit to never having heard of a Li-Ion type being used as a starter
battery in a normal car - although I can see why on a bike.

But to me, it would make more sense to use an alternator with a regulator
and wiring specially designed for the job. Rather than fudge things to
make a drop in replacement for a lead acid.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 12:11 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:47:26 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

HE got YOU on the hook, you troll-feeding senile piece of ****!

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 12:12 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:54:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

But to me, it would make more sense to use an alternator with a regulator
and wiring specially designed for the job.

To me it would make more sense it you just shut your stupid troll-feeding
senile gob, Blowman!

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 12:15 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 18:17:29 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

surprisingly 13.8v. It can be a little lower with heavy loads at low
engine speeds.

I wonder how LOW you can still sink, troll-feeding senile idiot!

Commander Kinsey January 5th 19 03:23 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:47:26 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is
charged. It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries are
semi sealed and don't like gassing.

Maybe modern cars have a regulator to stop that,

Pretty well all cars - even in dynamo days - have a regulator. In most
alternators, it's built in.

I've heard the term "regulator" used for cars, but I thought it was to change 3 phase AC into DC, just a big bridge rectifier.

but older cars (and I
mean around the turn of the century ones, not vintage) don't. If you
put a meter on the battery when the engine is running, it's always over
14V. I assume batteries don't really mind that as long as it's just for
driving time - they'd be upset if you did it 24/7.

If you check the battery volts just after a cold start, you'd be right.
You need to hook up your meter to show the volts after some time running,
when the battery is charged.

I wasn't aware lead acids were so fragile. I have my old car connected to an old Bradex 4A charger 24/7, as the alarm runs the battery flat. The charger indicates it's delivering 0.5 amps after it's been sat for a while, and I've measured it at 14.4V. Surely charging a 60Ah battery at 0.5A (which is a 5 day charge!) can't possibly break it?

Commander Kinsey January 5th 19 03:26 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 11:54:33 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

You can buy Li-ion drop in replacements made by the likes of Bosch on Eurocarparts. I assume it simply stops or restricts the charging current internal to the battery when it's had enough, easy enough to do that with a very cheap chip compared to the cost of the whole battery. It's smaller and lighter than lead acid, but who cares in a car. The reason I'd buy one (and I will next time I need a new battery) is they cost twice as much but last 5 times longer. Plus if the alternator overcharges it, it can't, as the battery looks after itself. Plus, apparently they aren't so bothered about deep discharge as lead acids, either due to the chemistry or due to some internal protection circuit.

Dave Plowman (News) January 5th 19 03:43 PM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is
charged. It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries
are semi sealed and don't like gassing.

Maybe modern cars have a regulator to stop that,

Pretty well all cars - even in dynamo days - have a regulator. In most
alternators, it's built in.

I've heard the term "regulator" used for cars, but I thought it was to
change 3 phase AC into DC, just a big bridge rectifier.

They have both. Rectifier pack and regulator. Some older - or larger
alternators - had the regulator external to the alternator.

but older cars (and I mean around the turn of the century ones, not
vintage) don't. If you put a meter on the battery when the engine is
running, it's always over 14V. I assume batteries don't really mind
that as long as it's just for driving time - they'd be upset if you
did it 24/7.

If you check the battery volts just after a cold start, you'd be
right. You need to hook up your meter to show the volts after some
time running, when the battery is charged.

I wasn't aware lead acids were so fragile. I have my old car connected
to an old Bradex 4A charger 24/7, as the alarm runs the battery flat.
The charger indicates it's delivering 0.5 amps after it's been sat for a
while, and I've measured it at 14.4V. Surely charging a 60Ah battery at
0.5A (which is a 5 day charge!) can't possibly break it?

Something very odd indeed if you're seeing 14.4 volts and an 0.5 amp
charge at the same time.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Commander Kinsey January 5th 19 04:06 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 15:43:57 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
No alternator I've ever seen stays at 14.4v when the battery is
charged. It would very soon fry the battery. And modern batteries
are semi sealed and don't like gassing.

Maybe modern cars have a regulator to stop that,

Pretty well all cars - even in dynamo days - have a regulator. In most
alternators, it's built in.

I've heard the term "regulator" used for cars, but I thought it was to
change 3 phase AC into DC, just a big bridge rectifier.

They have both. Rectifier pack and regulator. Some older - or larger
alternators - had the regulator external to the alternator.

So it has some kind of intelligent sensor that detects when the battery is full and switches to trickle mode?

[...]

What would you expect to see? The above is my experience with all lead acids, they simply don't take much current when they're full.

Dave Plowman (News) January 5th 19 04:08 PM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
You can buy Li-ion drop in replacements made by the likes of Bosch on
Eurocarparts.

Just been through their entire range. Plenty of Lion brand batteries, but
no mention at all of Li-Ion. Can you give a part number?

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Commander Kinsey January 5th 19 06:03 PM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 16:08:55 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
You can buy Li-ion drop in replacements made by the likes of Bosch on
Eurocarparts.

Just been through their entire range. Plenty of Lion brand batteries,

Yip, I've got one of those in my car. When I looked up reviews, everybody was confusing them with Lithium Ion!

but no mention at all of Li-Ion. Can you give a part number?

Ok I dunno what's going on here. Yesterday I found the Bosch battery on Eurocarparts by doing a Google search for "Lithium Ion car battery". Now I'm seeing an actual lead acid Bosch. I was sure it said Lithium Ion, and at over £2 per Ah, I assumed it had to be! Lead Acids are about 60p an Ah - I bought my lead acid Lion car battery for £40, and it's 60Ah (and I tested it to make sure).

Now all I can see is this 5Ah (although you get more usable capacity with Li-Ion, lead acids don't like deep discharge) Lithium Ion for £77 on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362524512734
Or 20Ah for £200:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273372798039

At that price, forget it! I'll use lead acid. 17 times the cost for something that lasts 5 times longer, no. I also don't like the way they state "up to 2000 charge cycles" - I was under the impression lead acid was up to 1000 and Li-Ion was up to 5000. That makes them even more pointless, unless you absolutely want to save weight on a motorcycle or a racing car.

Weird they're that expensive, as I've got a mobile phone sized 20Ah (I haven't validated that claim!) Li-Ion jump starter pack which was only £20. Perhaps it's no good for continuous use in a car though. I can start the car with it, and it's handy as a USB power source to run phones, satnavs, cameras, etc, etc from when camping. They're made of 3 pouch shaped cells, Bigclive did a teardown on Youtube: https://youtu.be/0tGK1nqXr28

[email protected] January 5th 19 06:31 PM

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 15:23:19 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I wasn't aware lead acids were so fragile. I have my old car connected to an old Bradex 4A charger 24/7, as the alarm runs the battery flat. The charger indicates it's delivering 0.5 amps after it's been sat for a while, and I've measured it at 14.4V. Surely charging a 60Ah battery at 0.5A (which is a 5 day charge!) can't possibly break it?

Unregulated chargers have killed many batteries when left on too long.

NT

Commander Kinsey January 5th 19 06:45 PM

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 18:31:01 -0000, wrote:

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 15:23:19 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I wasn't aware lead acids were so fragile. I have my old car connected to an old Bradex 4A charger 24/7, as the alarm runs the battery flat. The charger indicates it's delivering 0.5 amps after it's been sat for a while, and I've measured it at 14.4V. Surely charging a 60Ah battery at 0.5A (which is a 5 day charge!) can't possibly break it?

Unregulated chargers have killed many batteries when left on too long.

I'm not so sure lead acids are that fussy. Everybody tells me you must never flatten one, yet I've had a battery which I let run completely flat about 20 times, and it still works fine. And I don't believe overcharging it at a 5 day charge rate could kill it. Oh well, if it breaks it breaks, I've loads of batteries kicking about. I'll buy a nicer charger if it dies. I was going to get a Li-Ion battery if it died (they'd have their own charge protection), but since those cost WAY more than I thought, I won't bother.

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 06:53 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 15:43:57 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

Something very odd indeed if you're seeing 14.4 volts and an 0.5 amp
charge at the same time.

What could be odder than seeing you two prize idiots (a trolling idiot and
his corresponding troll-feeding senile idiot) having a "conversation"! LOL

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 06:54 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 16:08:55 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

Just been through their entire range. Plenty of Lion brand batteries, but
no mention at all of Li-Ion. Can you give a part number?

He can set out yet another idiotic bait for you, senile idiot! BG

Peeler[_2_] January 5th 19 08:54 PM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:31:01 -0800 (PST), , an especially
retarded, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Unregulated chargers have killed many batteries when left on too long.

NT

You just CAN'T resist the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock, can you, senile
idiot? LOL Just wait what kind of "replies" you will get from the ******
again! LMAO!

Dave Plowman (News) January 7th 19 12:50 AM

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

The little Lidl/Aldi charger at about 14 quid - similar to Ctek at several
times the price - changes to a maintenance mode when the battery is fully
charged and can be left like that indefinitely. Very simple to do these
days with electronics.

I'd be most surprised if Li-Ion was worth it for a car starter battery. A
decent lead acid should do 10 years plus of normal use. Any weight saving
hardly worth the considerable extra cost.

I don't think even Rolls Royce fit Li-Ion.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Commander Kinsey January 7th 19 01:17 AM

12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 00:50:07 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

I guess we'll get them when the cost comes down. Which it'll have to do if electric cars are to become viable. But er.... then we won't have starter batteries :-)

David Wade[_2_] January 7th 19 05:12 AM

On 07/01/2019 01:17, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 00:50:07 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
** Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Seem quite popular for Motor Cycles, but I can't think why....

http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....d=18&chapter=1

Dave

Peeler[_3_] January 7th 19 08:54 AM

Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 00:50:07 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

I don't think

Indeed, troll-feeding senile idiot!