Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

Default Blue railway signals?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 03:11:09 -0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 21:48:04 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:25:52 -0000, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round,
can't remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people (the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

I must admit if I were to fit taps to a new sink, I'd either fit them to
whichever pipe was closest, or randomly. I might make them the same as
another sink in the house, but if I'm fitting all the sinks from
scratch, I wouldn't bother looking up what the "standard" was. Don't
most folk just operate the blue or red topped one as required? That's
what I do. I will occasionally then think "that's odd, it's the other
way round to my house", but I never turn the wrong one on. I can
understand the standard of pushing down for on (down is always more,
it's the way we write text), but left and right don't mean hot and cold
to me.

Mind you, something that annoys me are cooker controls. Electric
cookers operate clockwise for hotter, like a volume control, but gas
cookers operate anti-clockwise for hotter, like a tap. Why did
electrics go the other way to gas/water? Is it because they used to
tighten the thread to increase pressure for less resistance? Surely a
rheostat could be wired either way round.

Also phones and calculators/computers have the numbers the other way up.
The computer makes sense, higher numbers further up, but the phone is
upside down.

"Standards". The nice thing about 'standards' is that there are so many
to choose from. At one time, there was only one logical place on a sink
to fit the one and only tap (fawcet) and that was to suit the majority
who were right handed so it became *the* standard. When hot taps were
added, the natural location was, therefore, on the LHS and thus, out of
logical necessity, was the left hand hot tap with a right hand cold tap
convention arrived at.

Since there's already an existing (born out of logic) standard way round
to fit hot and cold taps and you want to maintain consistency within your
own home, it's just simply better that the layout you choose matches that
used in the vast majority of cases elsewhere. Consistency is the key to
an easier life, so, just 'go with the flow'. :-)

It really doesn't bother me about where the hot and cold are, I just use the blue or red one as required. But when something needs to be turned the wrong way, that's insane. For example it once cost me £200 because I broke a Nikon camera - they actually have the lenses designed to fit on anti-clockwise! And what's worse, if you turn them the wrong way, it snaps the linkage for the focusing in the camera, costing a fortune. Oh well, I'll never buy anything from that company again, their loss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

====snip====

Since there's already an existing (born out of logic) standard way
round
to fit hot and cold taps and you want to maintain consistency within
your own home, it's just simply better that the layout you choose
matches that used in the vast majority of cases elsewhere. Consistency
is the key to an easier life, so, just 'go with the flow'. :-)

It really doesn't bother me about where the hot and cold are, I just use
the blue or red one as required. But when something needs to be turned
the wrong way, that's insane. For example it once cost me £200 because
I broke a Nikon camera - they actually have the lenses designed to fit
on anti-clockwise! And what's worse, if you turn them the wrong way, it
snaps the linkage for the focusing in the camera, costing a fortune. Oh
well, I'll never buy anything from that company again, their loss.

I've seen a similarly insane choice with those dual kitchen sink taps
which have the taps for hot 'n' cold arranged directly opposite each
other either side of the single spout tap assembly such that you need to
rotate them so the top sides of either tap are either rotated towards or
away from you rather than the entirely logical anti-clockwise to open
them from the appropriate sideways end view of each tap.

It's hard to describe succinctly but, in the unlikely event you haven't
experienced this sort of 'counter-intuitive weirdness' before, you may
need to consider my description very carefully to appreciate what a
stupid nitwit idea this is.

If it had been a quarter turn lever tap rather than an otherwise
ordinary multi-turn tap where clockwise means 'close' and anticlockwise
means 'open', the idea would have worked just fine but, as it was, it was
a total pain using such an oddball tap arrangement.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 01:45:51 GMT, Johnny B Good, another demented,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I've seen a similarly insane choice with those dual kitchen sink taps

Is this still about railway signals, you driveling troll-feeding senile
idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

====snip====

[...]

I have a friend with such a tap. I always forget, and get a drenching
when trying to turn off the cold tap but get the full force of the
mains instead.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

====snip====

[...]

I've seen quite a few of those and agree entirely. I turn on the cold and it works normally, then I try to turn on the hot and it doesn't move. Oh, that one works in reverse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

====snip====

[...]

ROFL, done that a few times. Especially with the ones with a very small amount of turn required to get to full open.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

news

wrote:

====snip====

[...]

It has to be that way due to how the tap itself works.

You're free to not buy one if you don't like that approach.

Tad radical, I realise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 05:11:49 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

It has to be that way due to how the tap itself works.

You're free to not buy one if you don't like that approach.

Tad radical, I realise.

BOTH of you prize idiots need several real hard taps with a hammer on your
stupid heads!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."