Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Daylight simulation/seasonal affective disorder lamps

What exactly is special about these lamps, and is there a reason why
their benefits can't be obtained by putting a special bulb or LED into
an otherwise ordinary desk lamo?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think there is except the light panels you get are supposed to be
better due to the even light area.
The effect can be more evident in some people than others. Unfortunately I
being blind have very disturbed sleeping patterns so I've never tried them
myself.
I think a lot of the use has to be at the same time each day to extend day
length, its no good saying I have ten mins I'll shove the light on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
What exactly is special about these lamps, and is there a reason why
their benefits can't be obtained by putting a special bulb or LED into
an otherwise ordinary desk lamo?

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 December 2018 14:27:58 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:

What exactly is special about these lamps, and is there a reason why
their benefits can't be obtained by putting a special bulb or LED into
an otherwise ordinary desk lamo?

Daniele

there's nothing special about the bulbs, just bluish daylight bulbs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2018 12:58, Chris Hogg wrote:

This is misleading as unless the bulb emits 10000 lux they cannot be
classed as powerful enough to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder. At
this time there is no standard bulb, full spectrum bulb or daylight
bulb that is powerful enough to treat SAD. The bulbs emit a pleasant
light that can reduce tiredness and give better visual accurity but
their benefit in treating SAD is unproven and not based on any medical
evidence of which SAD.org.uk are aware."

If SAD.org are saying that there is no proven evidence that these lamps
are effective in treating the disorder why are they then commenting on
the amount of light they must produce?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/12/2018 18:40, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 18:34:26 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 22/12/2018 12:58, Chris Hogg wrote:

This is misleading as unless the bulb emits 10000 lux they cannot be
classed as powerful enough to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder. At
this time there is no standard bulb, full spectrum bulb or daylight
bulb that is powerful enough to treat SAD. The bulbs emit a pleasant
light that can reduce tiredness and give better visual accurity but
their benefit in treating SAD is unproven and not based on any medical
evidence of which SAD.org.uk are aware."

If SAD.org are saying that there is no proven evidence that these lamps
are effective in treating the disorder why are they then commenting on
the amount of light they must produce?

They're referring to ordinary lower-wattage full spectrum or daylight
bulbs, not the higher power 10,000+ lux lamps.

I have a SAD light, and it does help a bit with winter blues.

Unfortunately, we have recorded quite a lot of episodes of Vera, and I
feel we have to watch those as they are taking up rather a lot of space
on the recorder. Those are incredibly sad and depressing, and they
totally undo any good from the SAD light. Really, we should only watch
them in the summer.