Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plaster on walls , could it exacerbate condensation?

Well the question is in the title really.

I have a 1950's bungalow in deepest darkest Cornwall ( it rains a lot and is damp). I have been battling condensation in my kitchen for nearly 20 years. I have changed windows, painted with mould paint and waterproof paint and done all kinds of shifting round. I have even tried not breathing in there!

However, I have observed , since I removed the old pantry and the room larger ( it was 12ft x 12ft, now 12ft x15 ft) that on the walls where the pantry was removed and OH plastered the sections up, it doesnt get black mould.. There are two distinct strips on the walls that are clear of any mould and seem to not suffer condensation.

Could the problem I have be related to they type of plaster they did the walls with back in the 1950's?

Any solutions to that, other than having all the plaster knocked off and re done ( in the extreme I would consider it, I am sick of walls dripping with condensation when I cook or especially on weekends like this last one- rain, rain and rain).

Thanks for all sensible answers. I wont be replying to trolls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 December 2018 05:39:54 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Condensation is best tackled at source.
Cooker hood (extracting air to outside) With provision for air to come in and replace extracted air.
Also extract fan in bathroom. Especially if you have a shower.

Are your exterior walls insulated?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:36:15 AM UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have done all the insulation in the hope it would work but , if anything, its made things worse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Funnily, I dont have a problem in the bathroom - and yes, I have a shower. I did have a problem there 20 years ago. I got rid of the carpet, removed the shower screen and put in a bath with a shower curtain and suddenly the mould and condensation went. ( and there isnt even an extractor fan in there either. I just open a window for an hour after the shower is used.)

Not so with the kitchen I am afraid. Windows, doors open, dehumidifiers running (although if I leave the dehumidifier on for around six hours it will reduce the condensation - but it returns overnight when I switch it off..... OH says it costs too much).

The back wall ( North North East facing exterior on two sides) is the worst..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apologies for muscling into this thread but I have a related question. We have a small galley style kitchen with a North facing outer wall and window with a kitchen sink below the window and a small pantry in the NE corner the walls have been cavity filled. Currently I get some black mould behind the pipework under the sink and in the extreme corner of the pantry.

I am about to replace the kitchen including demolishing the pantry which is merely a studded partition. Simplifying and replacing the plumbing may solve the under sink problem as I have not entirely discounted a small leak it is just hard to detect with many of the pipes feeling damp. As for the pantry with more of the corner exposed to the room heat hopefully that will alleviate some the only worrying part will be behind the base cupboard sited in the pantry corner to conceal the CU and meters.

Having to completely replace the entire kitchen ring main and re-route the hob and cooker circuits means it looks like it is going to be easier to replaster rather than simply patching in. I have also got the opportunity to move the main source of heat namely a kick space heater presently under cupboards on the internal wall and perhaps place it under the sink cupboard. I have noticed that the heater mainly blows heat out into the kitchen but some radiated heat does affect the cupboard it is under. At the moment we have no ventilation other than an air brick open into the pantry and opening the window when cooking. That will be replaced by a substantial ceiling extractor above the hob. I was wondering if those more in the know feel what I am intending doing will alleviate the mould issue and if anyone has anymore suggestions?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2018 09:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Apologies for muscling into this thread but I have a related
question. We have a small galley style kitchen with a North facing
outer wall and window with a kitchen sink below the window and a
small pantry in the NE corner the walls have been cavity filled.

OK...

Currently I get some black mould behind the pipework under the sink
and in the extreme corner of the pantry.

MM. So the cavity filling aint THAT great. Obvioulsy airflow is also
restriucted there.

I am about to replace the kitchen including demolishing the pantry
which is merely a studded partition. Simplifying and replacing the
plumbing may solve the under sink problem as I have not entirely
discounted a small leak it is just hard to detect with many of the
pipes feeling damp. As for the pantry with more of the corner exposed
to the room heat hopefully that will alleviate some the only worrying
part will be behind the base cupboard sited in the pantry corner to
conceal the CU and meters.

If you have a bad peice of outside wall then I'd consider using
insulation backed PB to dry line that area with. Given that you already
have cavity insulation the building inspector can't object to more.
Then the next issue is ventilation.

Having to completely replace the entire kitchen ring main and
re-route the hob and cooker circuits means it looks like it is going
to be easier to replaster rather than simply patching in.

Once again, conmsider studding out the walls, puting wiring and plumbing
in the studwotk. insulating it a bit. and dry lining. Rerember to put
noggins where cupboards are to be hung. Foil backed plasterboard would
be greate to stop moisture getting to those outside walls

I have also
got the opportunity to move the main source of heat namely a kick
space heater presently under cupboards on the internal wall and
perhaps place it under the sink cupboard. I have noticed that the
heater mainly blows heat out into the kitchen but some radiated heat
does affect the cupboard it is under. At the moment we have no
ventilation other than an air brick open into the pantry and opening
the window when cooking. That will be replaced by a substantial
ceiling extractor above the hob. I was wondering if those more in the
know feel what I am intending doing will alleviate the mould issue
and if anyone has anymore suggestions?

I think your ideas there are very sound.

One thing I discovered when laying teh slaet floors in my kitchen was
thata coinstatly running cold water pipe (I was mixing a LOT of tile
cement) generated condensation ON THE PIPE - I thought I had a leak.
Consider insulating incoming cold feeds

That kichen also ended up with an MDF lined wall to cover up a load of
rubbish - plumbing and wires behind - and make a GREAT surface to screw
cupboards to. lining paper and emulsion paint make a great finish on that

The key thing is to insulate anything cold, and control the moisture.
Insulation for the first, Vapour barriers heat and ventilation for the
second.

Even drilling a few holes to allow air circulation in closed spces
makeas a big difference.

Richard

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

there are several ways to reduce RH & condensation.
1. dehumidifier
2. look at your cooking methods. Some people use way more power than needed, resulting in lots of unnecessary steam.
3. Insulation on the wall under the plaster.
4. Removing debris or plants blocking wind & sun outside.
5. Sometimes faulty rainwater goods adds to the problem.
etc etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:42:24 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Done all of that. Hd a dehumidifier on yesterday when cooking main meal. I am not generally a big cook, so I do far less cooking than many people. I also put lids on the saucepans etc.

There comes a point when the problem is such it needs to be sorted rather than my being told not to breathe ( which seems to be the problem now.

I asked OH for a PIV as they say this cures all but he is against it and says it wont work, so I am still lookong for anything else I can do. I am getting asthma from the black mould now and it is beginning to spread out of the kitchen and moving though the house.

Its becoming a stupid situation. Before all the re modelling ( when we had old steep windows, the problem didnt seem to exist except in one corner on the back wall. Now its the whole wall and its moving across the ceiling and down other walls. In fact, if I didnt spray it with mould killer every week, the whole kitchen would be black with mould by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 December 2018 07:13:13 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:42:24 AM UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

If it's that bad with a dehumidifier on all the time then you must have a leak, either from plumbing or rainwater goods.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it's that bad with a dehumidifier on all the time then you must have a leak, either from plumbing or rainwater goods.

NT

no, its not that bad all the time. Its mainly when we have cold and damp weather in winter. Today is dry and the wall has cleared up completely. You wouldn't even know.

I have checked all the guttering and roof. They are sound.

It is just condensation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 December 2018 13:00:17 UTC, wrote:

If it's that bad with a dehumidifier on all the time then you must have a leak, either from plumbing or rainwater goods.

NT

no, its not that bad all the time. Its mainly when we have cold and damp weather in winter. Today is dry and the wall has cleared up completely. You wouldn't even know.

I have checked all the guttering and roof. They are sound.

It is just condensation.

that much condensation with a dehumidifer means 1 of 4 things:
1. it's not being left on
2. it's broken
3. it's a long way away
4. you're trolling.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well the question is in the title really.

However, I have observed , since I removed the old pantry and
the room larger ( it was 12ft x 12ft, now 12ft x15 ft) that on
the walls where the pantry was removed and OH plastered the
sections up, it doesnt get black mould. There are two distinct
strips on the walls that are clear of any mould and seem to not
suffer condensation

Could the problem I have be related to they type of plaster they
did the walls with back in the 1950's?

You may find that the new plaster is not yet as saturated as the old,
and so is a little more thermally insulating. Damp plaster conducts heat
better than dry, so it becomes a vicious cycle.

I have also found that once a finish has supported mound once, its more
likely to reform on the same surface.

there are several ways to reduce RH & condensation. 1.
dehumidifier 2. look at your cooking methods. Some people use way
more power than needed, resulting in lots of unnecessary steam. 3.
Insulation on the wall under the plaster. 4. Removing debris or
plants blocking wind & sun outside. 5. Sometimes faulty rainwater
goods adds to the problem. etc etc

NT

Done all of that. Hd a dehumidifier on yesterday when cooking main
meal. I am not generally a big cook, so I do far less cooking than
many people. I also put lids on the saucepans etc.

There comes a point when the problem is such it needs to be sorted
rather than my being told not to breathe ( which seems to be the
problem now.

I asked OH for a PIV as they say this cures all but he is against it

What is a PIV?

and says it wont work, so I am still lookong for anything else I can
do. I am getting asthma from the black mould now and it is beginning
to spread out of the kitchen and moving though the house.

Its becoming a stupid situation. Before all the re modelling ( when
we had old steep windows, the problem didnt seem to exist except in
one corner on the back wall.

That's not an uncommon experience, when you shift to more air tight
windows condensation can increase. Also the condensation will tend to
form fastest on the coldest surfaces - so old single glazed windows will
attract far more than modern DG windows. However this can mean that when
you replace old windows you now get more condensation on what are now
the "new" coldest surfaces, made worse by the reduced ventilation.

Now its the whole wall and its moving
across the ceiling and down other walls. In fact, if I didnt spray it
with mould killer every week, the whole kitchen would be black with
mould by now.

There are only two ways of reducing condensation really - reducing the
moisture content of the air, and increasing the temperature of the
surfaces above the dew point for the RH of the air in the room.

(this assumes that condensation is the only source of damp).

When you say the walls are insulated, how are they insulated? (i.e.
internal, external, cavity fill etc).

Are they any other possible sources of damp ingress (e.g. bridging from
outside, or leaking gutters / downpipes etc).

What is the external wall construction? (e.g. solid brick, brick with
cavity etc)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are humidity controlled fans available which work when there is too much water in the internal air.

condensation happens on the coldest surface

Get an infra red temperature gun to check temperatures in walls and ceiling,
i bet the area with mould is colder.

It takes time for the mould to clear up

A cheap one from hong kong is at:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-N....c100005.m1851

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 5:39:54 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

perhaps when cooking is done the kitchen door is closed and the room cools down to beneath the dew point so water condenses on the coldest surface - if you insulate one surface it will condense on the next coldest.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Dew_point

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K Wrote in message:
Wrote in message:

[...]

Oh god is it that time again?

After 8? annual trolling trot outs this must be the uk.d-i-y Xmas
panto!

I see the regulars have all played their usual characters so over
to the audience....

Altogether now - "TURN THE HEATING ON, ITS WINTER DEAR!"

See you all next year!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----