Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodge(s) for leaking isolating valve?

Any suggestions please for what to try or not try to bodger an
isolating ball valve by the CH pump which is leaking (not just oozing)
past the screw?

Background is that CH pump failed yesterday morning. (Sods law as
whole boiler is scheduled for change next summer.)

I drained down and replaced the pump head and the system worked OK. But
I must have caught the ball valve in the process (which did involve some
effort to free the old pump head after 30-odd years) as it is leaking
freely past the screw. And I do mean leaking, not weeping.

A proper fix replacing the valve - would be a buggeration as the pumps
crammed against the pressure vessel, with a bypass weaving round them,
in a corner of a cupboard, with connections not touched for 30-odd
years. And of course theres no clue as to the make/length of the valve.

So given its only got to last a few months I wondered about bodges.
Ive failed to find any on the net. But Im open to suggestions.
('Er indoors has already covered angle grinder as in fall on it if
the heatings not fixed.)

photo of the other valve:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo86qz1368...valve.jpg?dl=0

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

Maybe cover the area in 2 part epoxy putty. awful bodge but it will get
you through the winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 09:38:36 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

should last long term, if the water pressure doesn't push it off first. Other resins set quicker & come stiffer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Self amalgamating tape might do it and at least you will be able to get to the valve to turn it off should the need arise.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 09:44:15 -0000, Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Self amalgamating tape might do it and at least you will be able to get
to the valve to turn it off should the need arise.

I agree as it's not under mains pressure, I have just had to use this on
the stem of a towel rail valve where the gland failed and it is still
holding after 3 weeks. I'll drain down and repack in the summer.

It has the advantage of being removable.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Self amalgamating tape might do it and at least you will be able to
get to the valve to turn it off should the need arise.

I agree as it's not under* mains pressure, I have just had to use this
on the stem of a towel rail valve where the* gland failed and it is
still holding after 3 weeks. I'll drain down and repack in the summer.

It has the advantage of being removable.

I forgot to say this is a sealed system which sits at c. 1.25 bar when
cold and usually runs at at c. 1.9 bar.

Sorry, not a lot of sleep last night.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 01:44:15 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Self amalgamating tape might do it and at least you will be able to get
to the valve to turn it off should the need arise.

+1 That would be my first choice. I assume that by "screw" the OP
means the on/off slot not the large flange and nut that connect the
valve to the pump. If that latter they do need the faces ot be
cleaned off and a new fibre or rubber washer to seal...

I'd start the SA tape around what is available around the screw for
afew layers leaving a bit protruding, squish that against the screw
and wrap several layers right round the valve over the screw. If
those tend to form a tent from screw to body wrap more around to
tighten it up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2018 09:38, Bob Minchin wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

Doesnt work. The pressure punches through it bbfore its set.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

It might work, if you leave it unpressurised until it has set.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodge(s) for leaking isolating valve? [result]

Robin wrote:
[...]

FWLIW epoxy putty has worked (so far). Drained down, dried,
wire-brushed and cleaned before applying 2 layers of Everbuild Plumbers
Epoxy Aqua Repair. No trace of a leak after several days running. (But
I've now wrapped it in self-amalgamating tape just in case of
catastrophic failure.)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2018 07:55, Robin wrote:
[...]

Some of the two part plumbing epoxy repair putty might be your best
bet... kneed it until mixed, push into place, and perhaps bind with some
insulating tape to support it while it sets.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 10:04:36 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

IMLE it has no ability to hold onto a surface while it sets.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2018 10:20, wrote:
[...]

Milliput epoxy putty claims to grip and set underwater - there's a
testimonial regarding an underwater repair at sea on their page he
https://www.milliput.com/yellow_grey.html

If I were in your situation I think I would emery paper around the leak
to give the Milliput something to key into then give it a go.
Disclaimer: I've used Milliput for all sorts of things but never tested
its underwater qualities myself.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

Many moons ago I bodged two similar weeping pump isolators using
bits of folded bicycle inner tube and jubilee clips to create
rubbery "dressings" clamped over the slots.

Worked & lasted many years til the current system was installed.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

33 years ago I applied some Araldite around a weeping bleed valve BSP
thread in the top of a radiator It's still fine.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Like many others, I'd go for self-amalgamating tape. But before doing
that, try turning the screw backwards and forwards a few times. I've had
ball valves which have miraculously re-seated themselves and stopped
leaking when I've done that.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
[...]

Worth a go. IME it's the o rings that swell/distort with the heat
over the years.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2018 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:

Like many others, I'd go for .

I tried self-amalgamating tape given the many votes for it. Turns out
pressure on the screw causes the flow to increase - quite dramatically
so if the force is a tad off-axis

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills expressed precisely :
Like many others, I'd go for self-amalgamating tape. But before doing that,
try turning the screw backwards and forwards a few times. I've had ball
valves which have miraculously re-seated themselves and stopped leaking when
I've done that.

I would agree with that, it may just be a bit of grit or limescale has
worked into the sealing surface. Operating it will break it up and
allow it to reseal (maybe).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those 1/4 turn valve pump unions are spawned by the devil. I stopped using them and moved to gate valve type. Even though they sometimes failed to shut off tight at least they had an accessible gland on the spindle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

In a similar fix some years back I bodged the (ex, late) in-laws' with
masses of tightly wound PTFE tape.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 07:55:36 UTC, Robin wrote:
[...]

If the screw is flush with the valve body.
Get a small piece of soft rubber/plastic and put over leak, held in place by jubilee clip(s). Or use a small G-clamp.

If it leaks a bit you may have to de-pressurise the system and put some jollop under the soft plastic/rubber

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 07:56:37 UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

Update, screw is not flush. Cut head off flush first (with hacksaw or angle grinder). Drain down first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Its another Hazza "summary" post, followed by another after he
bothered to look at the supplied picture....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/