Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Timings

I recently fitted a Hive system to our central heating. It came
pre-programmed with a standard cycle- several on/off periods during the day.

Likewise, I've just fitted another 'smart' timer/thermostat to my
daughter's system- the existing timer has died and this was an
opportunity to both upgrade. The one we picked was designed to be a
'drop in' replacement, very easy to fit etc, but came pre-programmed
with a similar series of on/off cycles.

I find if hard to believe that people use such a complex series of timings.

If you go out to work, I'd think on in the morning, off as you go to
work, on for coming home, off as you go to bed etc. At weekend, on in
the morning, off at bed time.

If you don't work, on in the morning, off at bed time.

I've set our Hive to this simple cycle and, using the monitoring
function, the temperature seems right, I'm tweaking the times to get
things right, but the basic number of cycles seems right.

So, why do the manufacturers assume people use such complex timings?

I'm not convinced it saves energy as, looking at the temp variation, the
temp in our house doesn't drop much at all when the heating is off over
night. Therefore, during the day (when it is warmer outside), it must
drop even less.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ