Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl battery charger.

From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 November 2018 10:33:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

bit high for a cheapie brand

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 5 November 2018 10:33:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

bit high for a cheapie brand

Generally, such things from Lidl are more like what they should cost,
rather than the excessive amounts many charge.

Be interesting to know who owns the factory your 'expensive' brands are
made in. ;-)

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 November 2018 14:19:01 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 5 November 2018 10:33:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid..
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

bit high for a cheapie brand

Generally, such things from Lidl are more like what they should cost,
rather than the excessive amounts many charge.

£40 is in the good quality charger region, not the cheapo aldiddle zone.

Be interesting to know who owns the factory your 'expensive' brands are
made in. ;-)

Random Chinese factory owners I expect. Not sure what's interesting about that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Generally, such things from Lidl are more like what they should cost,
rather than the excessive amounts many charge.

£40 is in the good quality charger region, not the cheapo aldiddle zone.

I take it you have no experience of such products?

40 quid will just about buy you a 'quality' trickle charger with a posh
name.

Be interesting to know who owns the factory your 'expensive' brands are
made in. ;-)

Random Chinese factory owners I expect. Not sure what's interesting about that.

The interesting part is you often pay dearly for that 'posh' name.

--
*What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 November 2018 10:40:38 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Generally, such things from Lidl are more like what they should cost,
rather than the excessive amounts many charge.

£40 is in the good quality charger region, not the cheapo aldiddle zone.

I take it you have no experience of such products?

I have a few, have designed & built some as well as constructing & to a limited extent renovating & modding lead acids. I don't know it all but to say I have no experience of such products is as silly as it gets.

40 quid will just about buy you a 'quality' trickle charger with a posh
name.

If you look at the MTBF figures you'll find you can get quality, not 'quality' at that price.

Be interesting to know who owns the factory your 'expensive' brands are
made in. ;-)

Random Chinese factory owners I expect. Not sure what's interesting about that.

The interesting part is you often pay dearly for that 'posh' name.

I see we have different ideas about what's interesting.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

If it can jump start, I would guess it has an internal LiPo which is used to
kick out the start current. If you need say 500A at 12V, that's beyond
what you can get out of a 13A mains socket, but a reservoir LiPo can put out
a lot of current and be charged from the mains over a longer time.

(OK, you can probably get 6kW out of a mains socket instantaneously, but
it's going to need some pretty bulky power electronics to do it)

They also have another 40 pound jump start pack in 'power bank' format.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their
other ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40
quid. Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real
details of maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to
achieve this.

If it can jump start, I would guess it has an internal LiPo which is
used to kick out the start current. If you need say 500A at 12V, that's
beyond what you can get out of a 13A mains socket, but a reservoir LiPo
can put out a lot of current and be charged from the mains over a longer
time.

(OK, you can probably get 6kW out of a mains socket instantaneously, but
it's going to need some pretty bulky power electronics to do it)

They also have another 40 pound jump start pack in 'power bank' format.

I don't think this sort of thing would attempt to deliver starting current
all on its own. Just supplement the battery.

It says up to 15 amp charge rate and 75 amp pulse for starting. So could
be useful for getting a car going where the battery is low rather than
totally flat.

Their power bank is only for small to medium size engines. No use for
either of mine. ;-) But I do have one for travelling - useful to re-charge
a phone etc in the sticks.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

If it can jump start, I would guess it has an internal LiPo which is used to
kick out the start current. If you need say 500A at 12V, that's beyond
what you can get out of a 13A mains socket, but a reservoir LiPo can put out
a lot of current and be charged from the mains over a longer time.

(OK, you can probably get 6kW out of a mains socket instantaneously, but
it's going to need some pretty bulky power electronics to do it)

They also have another 40 pound jump start pack in 'power bank' format.

Bought one this morning. Remarkable value for money.

Says in the instructions it can try and recover a flat battery, and also
switches to a maintenance charge when the battery is full.

Weighs a ton so I'd guess uses a transformer. A 12v 180VA type would cost
you as much as the entire thing. ;-)

--
*America is so advanced that even the chairs are electric.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
[...]

Can you easily read captions for the functions? I have one from their
previous offer and struggle to read them.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Weighs a ton so I'd guess uses a transformer. A 12v 180VA type would cost
you as much as the entire thing. ;-)

Can you easily read captions for the functions? I have one from their
previous offer and struggle to read them.

I've never seen this one on offer from Lidl before?

Do you mean the printed bits alongside the function buttons? Easy enough
to read at the moment.

The display is red LED, so should last well.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

manuals available at

https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-A9D7461A-69B21CDB/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=2896009160&title=Autonab%C3%ADje%C 4%8Dka+s+funkc%C3%AD+pomocn%C3%A9ho+startov%C3%A1n %C3%AD+ULG+15+B4&count=1

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 12:10, Robin wrote:
Â*From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

manuals available at

https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-A9D7461A-69B21CDB/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=2896009160&title=Autonab%C3%ADje%C 4%8Dka+s+funkc%C3%AD+pomocn%C3%A9ho+startov%C3%A1n %C3%AD+ULG+15+B4&count=1

I have one of those but find the functions being printed in red on a
dimpled black background almost impossible to read!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

manuals available at

https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-A9D7461A-69B21CDB/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=2896009160&title=Autonab%C3%ADje%C 4%8Dka+s+funkc%C3%AD+pomocn%C3%A9ho+startov%C3%A1n %C3%AD+ULG+15+B4&count=1

Dave says "thanks sucker!" ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their
other ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40
quid. Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real
details of maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to
achieve this.

manuals available at

https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-A9D7461A-69B21CDB/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=2896009160&title=Autonab%C3%ADje%C 4%8Dka+s+funkc%C3%AD+pomocn%C3%A9ho+startov%C3%A1n %C3%AD+ULG+15+B4&count=1

Thanks Robin.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

I have an earlier version of one of these, I wonder if it is comparable

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...CABEgLTjvD_BwE

It is quite good, although it won't get the 2.5 diesel in the Renault
Master started from flat. Gets enough charge in in about 10 minutes
though. Fine for starting 1.3 petrol engines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

I have an earlier version of one of these, I wonder if it is comparable

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...CABEgLTjvD_BwE

It is quite good, although it won't get the 2.5 diesel in the Renault
Master started from flat. Gets enough charge in in about 10 minutes
though. Fine for starting 1.3 petrol engines.

You'd need a massive charger to supply the 300 amps or so needed on a
continuous basis. But one that partially charges the battery quickly and
then supplements that with a boost might make very good sense.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other
ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid.
Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no real details of
maximum charge current or how much 'boost' it has to achieve this.

I have an earlier version of one of these, I wonder if it is comparable

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...CABEgLTjvD_BwE

It is quite good, although it won't get the 2.5 diesel in the Renault
Master started from flat. Gets enough charge in in about 10 minutes
though. Fine for starting 1.3 petrol engines.

You'd need a massive charger to supply the 300 amps or so needed on a
continuous basis. But one that partially charges the battery quickly and
then supplements that with a boost might make very good sense.

IIRC mine claims to do 200 amps or so on boost, for about three seconds
before the trip operates. And it does all depend a bit on how flat is flat.

On reflection, if the van is stuck I am supplying it from 1 kW inverter
generator so probably don't get even 100 amps. I must get out my
clamp-on meter some time. Just put a new battery on the van so with any
luck no more problems this winter.