Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default give me a chain any day .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWF4QCR8U4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 07:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWF4QCR8U4

That guys voice annoys the fick out of me.
It's all dead technology anyway, no camshaft in an EV!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
On 31/10/2018 07:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWF4QCR8U4

That guys voice annoys the fick out of me.
It's all dead technology anyway, no camshaft in an EV!

Scotty is brilliant and holds all the same views on cars as myself ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
On 31/10/2018 07:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWF4QCR8U4

That guys voice annoys the fick out of me.
It's all dead technology anyway, no camshaft in an EV!

Scotty is brilliant and holds all the same views on cars as myself ......

Do you shout as much as 'Scotty' and speak in such a unpleasant way as
well as holding the same opinions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see video
and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to whether
its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them have just been
silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing and whooping but
little in the way of explanation at all.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWF4QCR8U4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

+1.

Annoys the f*ck out of me when folk post links on Usenet with absolutely no
description.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

+1.

Annoys the f*ck out of me when folk post links on Usenet with absolutely no
description.

Best to simply ignore them. The vast majority have nothing to do with DIY.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 31 October 2018 10:54:20 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

+1.

Annoys the f*ck out of me when folk post links on Usenet with absolutely no
description.

Tim

I just don't click em. I'm sure most don't.

I presume it's Scotty Kilmer. Often useful info, though his presentation style is a bit, dunno, aimed at the kids.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

+1.

Annoys the f*ck out of me when folk post links on Usenet with absolutely
no
description.

Tim

it's about timing chains...read the subject......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 10:54:17 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....
If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort
of posting some clue what its about.

+1.

Annoys the f*ck out of me when folk post links on Usenet with absolutely
no description.

Tim

Just don't follow them. After all, let's be brutally honest with each
other here. When has a plain URL posted into a usenet group ever been
worth the time to follow ?

your loss

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 12:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/10/2018 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...just listen to his videos ....

If you think its worth our time to watch it, at least go to the effort of
posting some clue what its about.

it's about timing chains.......read the subject

How does that help, it does not mention timing chains?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to
whether its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them have
just been silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing and
whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and a
toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the two
mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet open
while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway stills shots of
specific engines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 9:06:48 AM UTC, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to
whether its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them have
just been silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing and
whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and a
toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the two
mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet open
while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway stills shots of
specific engines.

Statistically, 99% of YouTube 'instructional' videos are 99% padding.

If it takes 30 seconds to show me how to adjust the flange bracket on a widget, show me it FFS, don't give me 5 minutes of preamble on the history of widget flange brackets and views of it from all angles using a ShakyCam, overlaid with a voiceover that would induce narcolepsy in a caffeine-ridden toddler with ADHD syndrome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 10:04, Halmyre wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 9:06:48 AM UTC, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

The best ones are thsoe that do a slow mo of one screw showing the
screwdriver, and then fast forward through the other ten screws before
showing you how to carefully split te case from its internal
clippage...etc.

--
€śProgress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,€ť

€“ Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Halmyre" wrote in message
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 9:06:48 AM UTC, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

scotty is always to the point .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to
whether its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them
have just been silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing
and whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and a
toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the two
mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet open
while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway stills shots
of specific engines.

the info is excelent and accurate ........other than some voxwagens still
use gears ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and
a toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the
two mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet
open while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway
stills shots of specific engines.

the info is excelent and accurate ........other than some voxwagens
still use gears ....

You don't know much about cars, then? Some do or did have gear driven
cams. But not common ones these days, if any. That is either chain or
belt. And neither uses gears.

Chains are driven by sprockets. So are toothed belts.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and
a toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the
two mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet
open while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway
stills shots of specific engines.

the info is excelent and accurate ........other than some voxwagens
still use gears ....

You don't know much about cars, then? Some do or did have gear driven
cams. But not common ones these days, if any. That is either chain or
belt. And neither uses gears.

Chains are driven by sprockets. So are toothed belts.

why you just repeating things? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 12:33:03 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You don't know much about cars, then? Some do or did have gear driven
cams

The Granada 2.xL from the 70s/80s ?

no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to
whether its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them
have just been silent or just contained sound effects and people
swearing and whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and a
toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the two
mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet open
while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway stills shots
of specific engines.

the info is excelent and accurate ........other than some voxwagens still
use gears ....

sorry volkswagen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 09:06, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as
to whether its worth* using my time and starting it. All so many of
them have just been silent or just contained sound effects and people
swearing and whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and a
toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the two
mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet open
while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway stills shots
of specific engines.

Obviously he has never owned a car where the chain tensioner was the
weakest link.

Small engines now have belts that run in the oil to reduce friction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 19:37, alan_m wrote:
On 31/10/2018 09:06, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as
to whether its worthÂ* using my time and starting it. All so many of
them have just been silent or just contained sound effects and people
swearing and whooping but little in the way of explanation at all.

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and
a toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the
two mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet
open while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway
stills shots of specific engines.

Obviously he has never owned a car where the chain tensioner was the
weakest link.

Small engines now have belts that run in the oil to reduce friction.

What friction would that be?

Ive built many geraboxes with timing belts and none has ever had
'friction' that would be reduced by oil.

Chains or gears yes, belts no.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ive built many geraboxes with timing belts and none has ever had
'friction' that would be reduced by oil.

Chains or gears yes, belts no.

Ford presentation:
https://youtu.be/-2xm0UBH3nI?t=49

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2018 09:06, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

He's holding up two gears and a chain, and then two toothed wheels and
a toothed belt, and talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the
two mechanisms. He's mostly standing in front of a car with its bonnet
open while he's giving his presentation, with occasional cutaway
stills shots of specific engines.

Obviously he has never owned a car where the chain tensioner was the
weakest link.

IMLE with chain tensioner failure, they do at least still run. Belt failure is more major, often trashing the engine.

Small engines now have belts that run in the oil to reduce friction.

What friction would that be?

Ive built many geraboxes with timing belts and none has ever had
'friction' that would be reduced by oil.

Chains or gears yes, belts no.

I'm guessing oil would reduce rubber deterioration by reducing access by oxygen. The power loss of a toothed belt happens in the belt, not something oil would change afaik.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see video
and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to whether
its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them have just been
silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing and whooping but
little in the way of explanation at all.
Brian

I thought you were referring not to the video itself, but to the way
some people (hullo, Jum, ye Scotch git!) just post a gnomic Subject
line, followed by a single line in the body -- the youtube link.

Jum's no the only wan!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Why do people persist in being so obtuse on the videeos, I cannot see
video
and would really appreciate just a one sentence description as to
whether
its worth using my time and starting it. All so many of them have just
been
silent or just contained sound effects and people swearing and whooping
but
little in the way of explanation at all.
Brian

I thought you were referring not to the video itself, but to the way
some people (hullo, Jum, ye Scotch git!) just post a gnomic Subject
line, followed by a single line in the body -- the youtube link.

Jum's no the only wan!

John

umurni

yooz english punters have to be spoon fed.....I shud dingh you all