Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet fitting - felt backed

I have a 3m x 4m bedroom to carpet at a relatively low cost.

I'm looking at a "heavy domestic" quality felt backed carpet at around
£8 square metre (a better quality than the felt backed carpet the same
retailer sells for 2/3 of that price).

I'm aware that this type of carpet can be fitted without an underlay and
stuck down around the edges. However the floor in this room (1900
build) has gaps between the floor boards an is slightly uneven.

I'm NOt going to start taking up the boards to re-position them to
eliminate the gaps of up to 5mm wide.

I have a enough cloud 7 11mm underlay that has been lying around for the
past 2/3 years that I can use. I'm thinking of using this under the
carpet either stapled down or glued down.

Has anyone had any experience with this arrangement.

I'm assuming that the underlay is fitted to the wall (no border gap) and
the felt backed carpet glued at the edges to this. Traditional grippers
are not used with felt backed carpets.

Felt backed seems to be the modern equivalent of foam backed carpets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I have three rooms with foam backed and am dreading the day it has to
come up. Already there are hard mounds appearing suggesting its decomposed.
I'd hope the felt they use now is not such a problem with age and does not
end up as dust.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 16:00:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I'm NOt going to start taking up the boards to re-position them to
eliminate the gaps of up to 5mm wide.

I don't think any underlay will deal with 5pp gaps.

If you don't want to hardboard the floor, fill the gaps with some form of wood filler.

I think the carpet will need to be tacked or stapled down to the floor, as glueing to the underlay means both layers of the sandwich will curl up.

But I'm not a carpet fitter.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 22 October 2018 16:00:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I'm NOt going to start taking up the boards to re-position them to
eliminate the gaps of up to 5mm wide.

I don't think any underlay will deal with 5pp gaps.

If you don't want to hardboard the floor, fill the FgapsS with some form
of wood filler.

use old newspaper, dampend to fill the gaps. That's what was done by the
previous owners of this house.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 October 2018 16:00:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I have a enough cloud 7 11mm underlay that has been lying around for the
past 2/3 years that I can use. I'm thinking of using this under the
carpet either stapled down or glued down.

Has anyone had any experience with this arrangement.

Yes, I carpeted two bedrooms with cheap felt-backed carpet about 10 years ago. I too used cloud underlay (cloud 9 in my case) which I stapled to the floor. I stapled lining paper to the floorboards first, under that.

I did use gripperrods all round the edge of the room, which worked fine with the felt-backed carpet.

The finished job looked and felt great - quite sumptuous, especially given the negligible cost of the carpet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Felt backed is indeed the modern day rubber backed, designed to not need underlay. The usual solution to gaps is to line the floor with 3mm hardboard.

If you do use underlay, the best way is to fit grip rods. The underlay sits within the grippers, it doesn't go to the wall. There is then no advantage to the felt backing, you can just as well use unpadded carpet.

You can economise by using old carpet as underlay. It voids guarantees but I've not run into any problem doing this. Just ensure it's cleaned & doesn't whiff.

Glue or tacks instead of grip rods does work, but not as well and isn't worth the trivial saving. And tacks can hit pipes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The normal practice is to nail down thin ply or hardboard on the floorboards first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 16:00, alan_m wrote:

I have a 3m x 4m bedroom to carpet at a relatively low cost.

I'm looking at a "heavy domestic" quality felt backed carpet at around
£8 square metre (a better quality than the felt backed carpet the same
retailer sells for 2/3 of that price).

I'm aware that this type of carpet can be fitted without an underlay and
stuck down around the edges.Â* However the floor in this room (1900
build) has gaps between the floor boards an is slightly uneven.

I'm NOt going to start taking up the boards to re-position them to
eliminate the gaps of up to 5mm wide.

I have a enough cloud 7 11mm underlay that has been lying around for the
past 2/3 years that I can use. I'm thinking of using this under the
carpet either stapled down or glued down.

Has anyone had any experience with this arrangement.

I'm assuming that the underlay is fitted to the wall (no border gap) and
the felt backed carpet glued at the edges to this.Â* Traditional grippers
are not used with felt backed carpets.

I have used Cloud 9 under felt back. Grippers work ok, although the ones
with the slightly longer nails sometimes work better.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2018 16:50, David wrote:
On Monday, 22 October 2018 16:00:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
I have a enough cloud 7 11mm underlay that has been lying around for the
past 2/3 years that I can use. I'm thinking of using this under the
carpet either stapled down or glued down.

Has anyone had any experience with this arrangement.

Yes, I carpeted two bedrooms with cheap felt-backed carpet about 10 years ago. I too used cloud underlay (cloud 9 in my case) which I stapled to the floor. I stapled lining paper to the floorboards first, under that.

I did use gripperrods all round the edge of the room, which worked fine with the felt-backed carpet.

Further reading:

Without an underlay just glue down around the edges

With underlay use gripper rods BUT not the kind with spikes but the kind
that have a microplast tape which have tiny mushrooms or discs and act
similar to velcro on the felt backing.

There are also microplast plus spike gripper rods for fitting felt
carpet to stairs however in the retailer I visited the description for
each of the felt backed carpets had a line that said that they didn't
recommend this type of carpet for stairs.