Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Larger capacity DeWalt 14.4V Li-Ion batteries?

I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple
of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of
good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH
cells and re-use the battery case?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple
of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of
good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH
cells and re-use the battery case?

I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as NiMH
which are usually sub-C size in power tools.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple
of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of
good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH
cells and re-use the battery case?

I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as NiMH
which are usually sub-C size in power tools.

I only need to get 4 cells into the battery case so there shouldn't be a
problem - question is really where to get decent cells at a sensible price
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple
of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of
good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH
cells and re-use the battery case?

https://eu.nkon.nl/
https://www.fogstar.co.uk/
https://18650.uk/

Wholesale quantities only:
https://batterybro.com/

If they will fit, you can use 4S 18650s with a BMS board like:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4S-3...874324692.html
(plenty more searching for '4S BMS'). A new charger would be needed - for
4S it should output 16.8V. eg this is a 1A version:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-8V-1A-...g/322561996894

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as NiMH
which are usually sub-C size in power tools.

It's not super efficient, but there are Li-Ion in a size that would fit in
the space of a Sub-C (which is roughly 22430 as a lithium size):
https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1450...00mah-10a.html

Also bear in mind one Li-ion is worth 3 NiMH in voltage terms, so some
18650s can often be fitted in the same space, if not a 1:1 replacement.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
In article ,
wrote:
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a
couple of DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a
supplier of good quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to
replace the NiMH cells and re-use the battery case?

I don't think you'll find Li-Ion in the same sort of physical size as
NiMH which are usually sub-C size in power tools.

I only need to get 4 cells into the battery case so there shouldn't be a
problem - question is really where to get decent cells at a sensible
price

Perhaps one of the most common - so good value - Li-Ion types is the
18650. About 2500 mA.hr (some are more), and 3.7v so four should be fine.
About 65 mm long and 20mm diameter.

They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on
Ebay.

But you'll also need a new charger.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And a suitable safe charger no doubt.
Brian who thinks we have been round this mulberry bush before quite
recently here.

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I've got some old DeWalt 14.4V tools, some NiMH batteries and a couple of
DE9141 1.1Ah Li-Ion batteries. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good
quality higher capacity Li-Ion cells, or a way to replace the NiMH cells
and re-use the battery case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on
Ebay.

This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc):
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...ies-from-china
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on
Ebay.

This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc):
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...ies-from-china

I'm sure you could buy rubbish ones elsewhere too. usual thing applies -
if it looks to be too good a price to be true, it probably is.

However, easier to get your money back from Ebay than some suppliers, if
the goods are poor.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They are used in vaping devices so made for pretty heavy use. Plenty on
Ebay.

This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc):
https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...ies-from-china

I'm sure you could buy rubbish ones elsewhere too. usual thing applies -
if it looks to be too good a price to be true, it probably is.

However, easier to get your money back from Ebay than some suppliers, if
the goods are poor.

I'm wondering whether it's worth cannibalising a laptop battery, but I
don't know whether they use cells that are optimised for self-discharge
(e.g) rather than having a low impedance, or whether all 18650s have
similar characteristics ... ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's worth cannibalising a laptop battery, but I
don't know whether they use cells that are optimised for self-discharge
(e.g) rather than having a low impedance, or whether all 18650s have
similar characteristics ... ?

I'm fairly certain there are several different 18650s, as the stated
capacity varies. And then there would be things like peak current. If that
varies too, ones for a laptop would be unlikely to need a high current
delivery?

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I'm wondering whether it's worth cannibalising a laptop battery, but I
don't know whether they use cells that are optimised for self-discharge
(e.g) rather than having a low impedance, or whether all 18650s have
similar characteristics ... ?

I'm fairly certain there are several different
18650s, as the stated capacity varies.

And the weight varys dramatically. I have torches
with those and the best, the panasonics, are much
heavier than what is supplied with the torch.

And then there would be things like peak current. If that varies too,

Big Clive has shown that it does.

ones for a laptop would be unlikely to need a high current delivery?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 23:31:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

And the weight varys dramatically.

Darn, and at least THIS thread was Rot-free, so far! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2018 20:20, Theo wrote:
This is where some ebay batteries come from ('Ultrafire' etc):

Ultrafire lithium batteries?

I think I've heard tales about them. I thought it was a fault, not a brand!

Andy