Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External, horizontal, tongue and groove cladding

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't
like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and
second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by
called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't
like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and
second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by
called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

My mum and dad had a conservatory fitted about 15 years ago. I'm
convinced it's inside-out, since the PVC strips holding the glazing in
are on the outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
news
Nick Odell wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the
other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like to
say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second because
I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out "Oy!
You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

My mum and dad had a conservatory fitted about 15 years ago. I'm
convinced it's inside-out, since the PVC strips holding the glazing in are
on the outside.

nothing strange about that,,,,bad for security though .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the
other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like to
say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second because
I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out "Oy!
You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

explain horizontal cladding?????? is that not a roof?????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the
other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like to
say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second because
I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out "Oy!
You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

explain horizontal cladding?????? is that not a roof?????

do you not mean vertical cladding where the groove should face down???...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 11:58:58 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

If it's plastic cladding it'll survive, but the wall behind will be rotten quite quickly.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 11:58:58 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't
like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and
second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by
called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

Are you sure it wasn't "shiplap"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2018 16:48, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 18 October 2018 11:58:58 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't
like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and
second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by
called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

Are you sure it wasn't "shiplap"?

Pretty sure. But surely shiplap should be oriented so the square-cut
side is down and the tapered side is up, no?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the
other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like to
say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second because
I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out "Oy!
You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

explain horizontal cladding?????? is that not a roof?????

do you not mean vertical cladding where the groove should face down???...

Nick means wall cladding where the wooden boards are attached
horizontal
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it
supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the
other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like
say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second
because
I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out
"Oy!
You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will
have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

explain horizontal cladding?????? is that not a roof?????

do you not mean vertical cladding where the groove should face down???...

Nick means wall cladding where the wooden boards are attached
horizontal

how does that work then?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 11:58:58 UTC+1, Nick OdellĀ* wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed
to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion
the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't
like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and
second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by
called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have
to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

Are you sure it wasn't "shiplap"?

Pretty sure. But surely shiplap should be oriented so the square-cut
side is down and the tapered side is up, no?

Nick

https://www.silvatimber.co.uk/media/...structions.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
[...]

??

It's quite normal. Like you would clad a shed or barn
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
[...]

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Tongue and groove cedar question and carpenters out there? Jimi Home Repair 5 December 21st 07 10:45 PM
Tongue & groove cladding Dave UK diy 4 September 15th 07 07:49 PM
BUILDING TONGUE AND GROOVE DOORS J T Woodworking 0 November 28th 04 05:37 AM
re-creating a tongue and groove piece of oak Basspro* Woodworking 3 January 22nd 04 09:33 PM
MDF Tongue and Groove Matching Martin UK diy 10 September 19th 03 09:58 AM