Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky pull chord switch

Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/10/2018 12:12, AnthonyL wrote:
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

Replace the string, if it's really that. Or replace the switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 12:12:56 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.
Any clever solutions out there?

It's probably one of these inside
https://www.lampspares.co.uk/side-ac...tch-with-cord/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 15:55:45 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 08:39:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 12:12:56 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.
Any clever solutions out there?

It's probably one of these inside
https://www.lampspares.co.uk/side-ac...tch-with-cord/

I'll explore once I can turn the power off.

Sounds like a lost chord.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2018 12:12, AnthonyL wrote:
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

possibly grease dried up..try taking the cover off and using silicone
spray...

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gunge in the thing. If its actually on the fan you would be surprised how
much gunk they can hoover into themselves in an ordinary house. Lets hope
there are no smokers in there.
However have you had it apart and had a look. There is not much in a pull
switch, its normally a little escarpment thing with a spring that makes each
alternate pull move it into a different position.
Normally they get stuck in one place either due to wear or muck.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, I'd actually tend to have a look. Its probably muck.
Also any grease soon seems to dry out. I had an Akai tape deck with a push
push switch. Same principle as pull switch but in reverse and it had
hardened grease inside. Scraped it off and put tiny bit of lubrication on
the sliding bit and it outlasted the deck.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 17/10/2018 12:30, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 11:12:54 GMT,
lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to
stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to
turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

You might find some stuff has fallen into the back of the switch so
check that out first.

Cheers, T i m

+1.

Also WD40 ducks