Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Value of money and cost of technology

On Monday, 15 October 2018 19:16:10 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 15 October 2018 16:29:14 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 15 October 2018 15:43:01 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Monday, 15 October 2018 10:54:44 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 13 October 2018 00:37:23 UTC+1, tabby wrote:

Sure. What I meant was B&W slides have no upside over prints,

Yes they do because like colour slides they can be projected onto a screen something B&W prints can't have done to them.

bzzzt

Exactly I win the point, as that is exactly what they did.
That is the upside.

ok. Let us know if you can manage basic reality.

Yes I do and can, but not perhaps yuor version of reality.
How to develop film, how to print prints and how to 'make' slides.

How are slides aka transparancies differnt from prints and negatives.

It's called education.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 17:56:42 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

you always do a whoosh when you fail to understand things don't you.
The whole idea of making the slides was to show how it is done, and how the reversal process works, you need that for slides.

Have you ever done solorization in a darkroom, yes I've done that too it requres yuo to switch on the main lights whole the paper is still in the development stage , but I've only done it in B&W, colour is possible would be far to difficult/expensive in a school lab/darkroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 12:16:49 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

you always do a whoosh when you fail to understand things don't you.

whoosh indicates the whooshed has missed the point

The whole idea of making the slides was to show how it is done, and how the reversal process works, you need that for slides.

Have you ever done solorization in a darkroom, yes I've done that too it requres yuo to switch on the main lights whole the paper is still in the development stage , but I've only done it in B&W, colour is possible would be far to difficult/expensive in a school lab/darkroom.

I preferred other techniques. I liked push processing, especially to the point where the textures eats a fair amount of the available print dynamic range & whites are whited out. Reminds me a little of the old error diffusion style used on win 3 era computers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 23:15:12 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 12:16:49 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

you always do a whoosh when you fail to understand things don't you.

whoosh indicates the whooshed has missed the point

The whole idea of making the slides was to show how it is done, and how the reversal process works, you need that for slides.

Have you ever done solorization in a darkroom, yes I've done that too it requres yuo to switch on the main lights whole the paper is still in the development stage , but I've only done it in B&W, colour is possible would be far to difficult/expensive in a school lab/darkroom.

I preferred other techniques. I liked push processing,

Me too as I was only really interested in astro photography, I started with HP3 pushing that up to 800asa couldn't seem to go much higher before it seemed to 'fog' Then HP4 came out which was much better I got that up to 1600 not much successes getting it higher though, I used acuuspeed by patterson ar about 24C IIRC. I never really liked tri-X or kodak B&W in general.
I did try at higher temeratures but the emulsion started to come away from the 'film'.

By the time HP5 and XP1 arrived I'd lost interest in push processing and astro work and started doing other things like IR and multi exposures and went on to colour slideas and using Cibachrome for colour printing.

especially to the point where the textures eats a fair amount of the available print dynamic range & whites are whited out.

It also depended on the paper you printed it on, something we didn't have a choice in with slides.