Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside lights, led upgrade query...

I have two different styles of outside light, both currently
running mains halogen bulbs of the warm white flavour.

I have also fitted some cool white flavour led floods, so now I've
got a bit of a mix of light temps.

Soo, thinking I'll change the warm white halogen lamps to some
cool white LED ones & up the power as much as practical at the
same time.

All the lamps to change are in large glass enclosures, in one kind
the bulb is upright, ES base at the bottom, other kind is BC &
suspended by the base on a normal flex & lamp holder.

These lights don't get much continuous use as they're on PIRs, but
sometimes they are forced on for an hour tops via an override
switch.

Istr some mention of possibilities of prematurely cooking the
electronics in led bulbs, particularly when suspended
?

In this application scenario, is this an issue worth trying to avoid?

Any recommendations on appropriate LED lamps & sources? I'm
thinking 15,20w+ ?

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All I can say is that if the psus are so inefficient as to cook themselves
upside down in a glass jar, then they have no business being on sale as
replacements.
I'm still using up my cfls from the energy company over 5 years ago! Ideal
for porches etc.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K has brought this to us :
Istr some mention of possibilities of prematurely cooking the
electronics in led bulbs, particularly when suspended
?

In this application scenario, is this an issue worth trying to avoid?

Electronics generally last longest, the cooler the temperatures they
work in. So any LED mounted with its internal electronics uppermost,
will run hotter and suffer a shorter life, than if it were mounted base
down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2018 09:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
All I can say is that if the psus are so inefficient as to cook themselves
upside down in a glass jar, then they have no business being on sale as
replacements.
I'm still using up my cfls from the energy company over 5 years ago! Ideal
for porches etc.
Brian

I'm sure if your CFLs were 10 to 20W+ then they would also be likely to
cook themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K Wrote in message:
[...]

Anecdotal.

We have quite a lot of LED bulbs in the house now, (a quick mental
count up gives me 35 or so) most of of them are cap up, in glass
shades, probably 2-3 yo, maybe a bit older for some of them.
Mostly branded ones of various makes, rather than no name Chinese
ones from eBay. ( I had some of those and they really were
crap)

I can't say I've noticed much lamp failure , maybe 1 or 2 ( which
had a guarantee on which I was able to use and get replacements)
but it's really to soon to say yet.

If it was me I'd happily put a LED in them.

--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2018 15:50, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
I have two different styles of outside light, both currently
Â* running mains halogen bulbs of the warm white flavour.

I have also fitted some cool white flavour led floods, so now I've
Â* got a bit of a mix of light temps.

Soo, thinking I'll change the warm white halogen lamps to some
Â* cool white LED ones & up the power as much as practical at the
Â* same time.

As a follow on question.

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
I have two different styles of outside light, both currently
running mains halogen bulbs of the warm white flavour.

I have also fitted some cool white flavour led floods, so now I've
got a bit of a mix of light temps.

Soo, thinking I'll change the warm white halogen lamps to some
cool white LED ones & up the power as much as practical at the
same time.

As a follow on question.

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Nope, but in some cases it make sense to replace the PIR with a better
one like with the Hues which can do a lot more than the basic PIRs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 09:02:15 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Depends, if the PIR uses a relay to swicth the lighting circuit no.
If it uses a semicondutor, it might not reliably latch on unless the
total load is high enough to keep the semiconductor conducting after
being triggered.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
I have two different styles of outside light, both currently
running mains halogen bulbs of the warm white flavour.

I have also fitted some cool white flavour led floods, so now I've
got a bit of a mix of light temps.

Soo, thinking I'll change the warm white halogen lamps to some
cool white LED ones & up the power as much as practical at the
same time.

As a follow on question.

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Nope, but in some cases it make sense to replace the PIR with a better
one like with the Hues which can do a lot more than the basic PIRs.

For a lot more cash than replacing a pir or two (if needed)...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
I have two different styles of outside light, both currently
running mains halogen bulbs of the warm white flavour.

I have also fitted some cool white flavour led floods, so now I've
got a bit of a mix of light temps.

Soo, thinking I'll change the warm white halogen lamps to some
cool white LED ones & up the power as much as practical at the
same time.

As a follow on question.

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Nope, but in some cases it make sense to replace the PIR with a better
one like with the Hues which can do a lot more than the basic PIRs.

For a lot more cash than replacing a pir or two (if needed)...

Nor really a lot more now and it does temperature and
has much more control over when and how it operates
and is entirely battery powered so you don't have to fart
around with a power lead to it and the battery lasts years.
With a very elegant little snap on very strong magnet
which mounts to any magnetic metal without even a screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Ok then cost it up for us?
6 lamps, 2 pirs (controlling all 6), override switch to force all
lamps on
Must have a master off to kill power to all for servicing etc.

TIA
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 19:37:41 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

As a follow on question.

What about LED lamps as replacements for Halogens that are switched by
PIRs. Do they need a different PIR?

Nope,

LOL He said it again, the 85-year-old pathological "auto-contradictor"! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 06:16:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

For a lot more cash than replacing a pir or two (if needed)...

Nor really

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! ...and the "auto-contradictor" struck again! LMAO

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

That varys with the lamp detail, warm
white only, variable color temp white.

6 lamps, 2 pirs (controlling all 6),

The bit in brackets is just part
of how you set it up in the app.

override switch to force all lamps on

Must have a master off to kill power to all for servicing etc.

Don't need that, there is no servicing
required that needs the power turned off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Cold white please.

6 lamps, 2 pirs (controlling all 6),

The bit in brackets is just part
of how you set it up in the app.

override switch to force all lamps on

Must have a master off to kill power to all for servicing etc.

Don't need that, there is no servicing
required that needs the power turned off.

Changing lamps stupid.

Cost away!?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Don't need to turn everything off to change a lamp, stupid.

Cost away!?

Depends on whether you use the normal
price or wait for the best discounted offers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

I do if it's dark stupid.

Cost away!?

Depends on whether you use the normal
price or wait for the best discounted offers.

Normal price will do for starters.... over to you....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Nope, no need to kill the power to all to change the bulb,
stupid. In fact its better to have some of the others on so
you can see what you are doing if its dark, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

If they're on the same PIR that's triggered they will be live lamps...
stupid.

Even you should be able to change a live led bulb, cretin.

Where's the costings?

Even a terminal ****wit should be able to do that for itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 06:31:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I do if it's dark stupid.

Nope, no need to kill the power to all to change the bulb,
stupid. In fact its better to have some of the others on so
you can see what you are doing if its dark, stupid.

Senile Ozzie troll knows it BETTER, again! LMAO!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Well well what a surprise :-D

More of your hue ******** flushed where it belongs.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof you were just trolling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 07:56:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof you were just trolling.

What a twisted senile pest you are, Rot! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K" wrote in message
"samchunk" Wrote in message:

o.uk...
On 11/10/2018 07:57, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Trolling you about your troll hue bs recommendation? Of course :-D

Did you really think I thought you'd do anything other than you
have done?

Hehe FFS you really are losing it!

Flush it chump ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Hehehe in your drug induced antipodean insomniac dreams woddles
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 09:19:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
"Rot Speed" wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Minor correction to reflect the true state of things, you obnoxious troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 09:36:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Rod Speed wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Minor correction to reflect the true state of things, senile troll!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

L is for loser... :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

W is for woddles... :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Jim K wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 10:31:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Rod Speed wrote just the troll
**** that always pours from the back of it when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Minor correction to reflect the TRUE state of things!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only really cheap **** PIRs use a semiconductor, like a £5 one I got on Ebay from China. Everything else uses a relay. The cheap one "panics" even if you use a CFL on it. It goes on and off about 3 times a second.