Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 240v countdown timer switch

Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Is the motor too powerful for a time delay light switch? If not, do you
need high precision on the 3 minutes?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

As a starting point look at .
tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Timers_Index/Timers_Time_Delay/index.html

If the current rating is not high enough, use the timer to trigger a
relay/contactor

Malcolm

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

Cannibalise an old microwave?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:23:34 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the
brief?

Is the motor too powerful for a time delay light switch? If not, do you
need high precision on the 3 minutes?

Let me take a 'wild' guess at your answer should the OP's replies be in
the negative...

Use a 555 timer chip (with transistor driven 12v coil relay and mains
voltage 10A rated contacts) to build a timer module? :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the
brief?

Is the motor too powerful for a time delay light switch? If not, do you
need high precision on the 3 minutes?

Let me take a 'wild' guess at your answer should the OP's replies be in
the negative...

Use a 555 timer chip (with transistor driven 12v coil relay and mains
voltage 10A rated contacts) to build a timer module? :-)

--
Johnny B Good

One problem with a 555 for long times (above a few seconds) is that the first time they are switched on they take longer[1] to start up the first cycle while the capacitor charges this can be as much as a 30% error in the first cycle.

[1] can;t remmebr if it;s longer or shorter depending onn the o/p required
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Maybe one of these will do what you want (assuming mains single phase) ?

https://www.rapidonline.com/finder-m...-series-531882

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

There's lots of timer relays on the market. Look at Rapid, CPC, or RS. I
always use the ones that mount on a valve base because they are very
easy to test by substitution.

I usually use both poles of a double pole relay in parallel to double
the current rating.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
news
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock, hit
a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Plenty you can buy which will do that. Dont cost a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Is the motor too powerful for a time delay light switch?

Even if it is, use that to drive a relay/contactor.

If not, do you need high precision on the 3 minutes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
R D S Wrote in message:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

Cannibalise an old microwave?

Lot less work to use a commercial delay timer. They don't cost a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 14:25:23 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

There's lots of timer relays on the market. Look at Rapid, CPC, or RS. I
always use the ones that mount on a valve base because they are very
easy to test by substitution.

I usually use both poles of a double pole relay in parallel to double
the current rating.

Bill

Bloody poles coming over here taking our switching jobs ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 16:00, Andew Jones wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
R D S Wrote in message:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Ta.

Cannibalise an old microwave?

Lot less work to use a commercial delay timer. They don't cost a lot.

Although Tim+ makes me realise I read the OP as wanting a fixed time
when his wording can be read to mean he wants to be able to set
different times on different occasions. If he also wants to do so easily
(not always true here bg) then a time delay light switch and most if
not all of the other suggestions don't fit the bill. A m/wave timer
might in principle (though I've no idea if it would in practice).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/18 11:10, R D S wrote:

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Thanks for all the responses.

I've got some Crouzet 814 timers but getting a headache looking at them.
Might just man up and get my head around how to wire those?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
R D S Wrote in message:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the
brief?

Ta.

Cannibalise an old microwave?

Lot less work to use a commercial delay timer. They don't cost a lot.

Although Tim+ makes me realise I read the OP as wanting a fixed time when
his wording can be read to mean he wants to be able to set different times
on different occasions. If he also wants to do so easily (not always true
here bg) then a time delay light switch and most if not all of the other
suggestions don't fit the bill. A m/wave timer might in principle (though
I've no idea if it would in practice).

If he does want to vary the time, something like an Elgato Eve Energy
is a much better approach than a butchered microwave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/10/2018 13:20, Martin Brown wrote:
On 10/10/2018 11:10, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.

I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Maybe one of these will do what you want (assuming mains single phase) ?

https://www.rapidonline.com/finder-m...-series-531882

I was going to say "Google for one shot din rail timers":-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:10:38 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
Simple enough project.
I've a motor in a machine, I want to put time (say 3 mins) on a clock,
hit a button, and the motor will run for 3 mins.
Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

As used in microwave ovens and similar

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/timer-relays/5362779/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:52:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

01:52 am in Australia, and he's out of bed again! LMAO! This abnormal senile
cretin just CAN'T miss a few posts in the group he prefers to troll in! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TWO o'clock am in Australia: More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 02:00:32 +1100, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH troll ****

Some doctor NEEDS to put you to sleep, you sleepless useless senile cretin
....for good!

--
Marland addressing bull****ting senile Rot:
"Stay in your wet paper bag you thick twit."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 02:38:34 +1100, Andew Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH troll ****

So, what is the first thing you do when you get up between 1 and 4 o'clock
in the morning every day, senile Rot? Switch on the computer and start
trolling and pontificating on uk.d-i-y? BG

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:50:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Does anyone know of a single timer switch unit that would fit the brief?

Plenty you can buy which will do that. Donąt cost a lot.

You posted this also as "Andew Jones" in the same thread, senile Rot!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually you can actually remove this problem by a high value resistor I
seem to recall. I still think there are modules that enable you to do timer
based stuff. I notice many clock radios have snooze buttons which can be
made to do much the same thing if you take them apart. Get an old one.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...