Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default About to buy a Nissen hut

On Tuesday, 9 October 2018 08:29:34 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2018 19:27:22 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2018 16:52:45 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2018 14:04:42 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2018 08:05:21 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2018 00:14:04 UTC+1, Andyrg66 wrote:

Just discovered the Nissen hut I am about to buy is covered in asbestos , if
its not the blue type am I safe to dismantle the building if I wear
reasonable thick clothing and a mask and pay someone to disposed of it , I
have been quoted 4000 pounds

It's not possible to determine asbestos type except by analysis.

half truth

"Blue" asbestos is not blue.

it is

Often the types were mixed anyway.

yes. Asbestos cement sheets were generally all white or nearly all white asbestos, chrysotile

Asbestos types are considered equally dangerous.

no. White is way less risk than blue & brown, crocidolite & amosite..

If it IS asbestos you should not touch it.

rubbish

After removal asbestos sites have to be decontaminated.

not in the case of sound asbestos cement sheet

Asbestos cement, you can deal with.

quite

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf

Thick clothing is of no benefit. Disposable overalls are used by professionals.
As clearly you have no clue, you're best to leave well alone.

or learn. That's what everyone else does

Why would there be asbestos on a Nissen hut anyway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_hut

if you can't work that out...

NT

I was in charge of asbestos removal for 30 years.
Why don't you **** off?

and yet your advice flies in the face of government guidance and more. Curious.

NT

If it is neat asbestos, you can't safely remove it yourself.
And all types of asbestos are treated in exactly the same way.

If it's asbestos cement you can remove it yourself.
That's what the government advice is about.

of course, and hut cladding is obviously asbestos cement sheet

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 October 2018 14:25:38 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 08:04:44 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH

Interesting to see that the Quonset hut was an (inferior) copy, without
the inward curve at the base.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

nissan don't make huts

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH

If the abestos is the structural support and he's removing it...

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH

SO, it's not a Nissan hut. The whole post is bull**** then?
WTF do we bother with such idiots?

It could also be an Anderson shelter.

https://mashable.com/2015/07/24/wwii...e#tAqRy28SmZqy

Many were used as coal stores after the war.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH

SO, it's not a Nissan hut. The whole post is bull**** then?
WTF do we bother with such idiots?

Please do not in take my post about what the asbestos huts were really
called as being in anyway a an indication of support for you, as I said
like Hoover has become a generic name for vacuum cleaners then Nissen hut
has become a generic name for a building of that style and shape from that
era.
As you are such a know all you could easily have written something similar
to what I did in the spirit of being informative as many people take a bit
of interest in history but instead because you are narcissist ,miserable
wretch always anxious to get one over on somebody else you chose once again
to choose the confrontational Im superior than you attitude,often such
behaviour is a sign that the person holding it is dead scared of being
rumbled that they are not as clever as they would like people to think they
are and your postings over the years with numerous mistakes certainly show
you are not that bright ,and somewhat grubby ISTR from that tv show.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

nissan don't make huts

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

GH

If the abestos is the structural support and he's removing it...

Start at one end...

I am beginning to wonder if the purchase interest is in the land rather
than the hut:-)

Otherwise, for a modest sum, I can provide similar section corrugated
aluminium sheets. Ex grain silos.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Marland wrote:

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

But like Hoover for vacuum cleaners of different types most people would
understand what was meant.

The Turner Huts are self supporting, Nissan Huts have a frame to which the
cladding sheets are attached.

Interesting - and what a nice photo that is!

My question is: the info under the photo says that the huts are still
being used as garages. How does this square with current building
practices, where -- whenever renovation or other building work is to
take place, the building inspectors and safety officers all behave as if
asbestos were plutonium or something?
[Personally, I'd be using them --- what a gift!]

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:

Strictly speaking it should be a Turners Curved Asbestos Hut as the
asbestos ones were manufactured by the Turners Asbestos company as I find
out a few years back when some in a village not too far from here were
mentioned in a talk about surviving WW2 sites in the locality.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5728586

Interesting - and what a nice photo that is!

My question is: the info under the photo says that the huts are still
being used as garages. How does this square with current building
practices, where -- whenever renovation or other building work is to
take place, the building inspectors and safety officers all behave as if
asbestos were plutonium or something?
[Personally, I'd be using them --- what a gift!]

Not being a building inspector I can only surmise but their are thousands
of buildings still in use with components made of Asbestos cement and to
be honest I dont think in the main they do that.

The way to deal with them is well established and not particularly onerous.
In situ and not deteriorating just leave them be, if you have to drill a
hole or saw a piece then do it wet and strictly the dust should be double
bagged and disposed of in a proper facility but in reality a few grammes
sealed in a bag and put in the household rubbish is going to be less of a
risk than the tons of Asbestos dust blowing freely around the area
surrounding roads after 70 odd years of motoring with asbestos based brake
pads.
If you have to dismantle such a building or components then it can be done
DIY if you are fit enough and follow the sensible rules of keeping dust
down by dampening as you go and double bagging/ wrapping and marking them
correctly . Most council areas have a facility not necessarily your nearest
and usually chargeable per bag/or weight. Disposable overalls, gloves and a
face mask if you really want to but if the material is wet they are more
for personal reassurance than anything.
When mother sold the farm I had a small pile of such components to dispose
off, Dad had also been a builder starting right after WW2 when these
components were the future ,light ,easy too work ,didnt rot for decades.
Cost about £150 at the tip to dispose of the bagged items, a lot cheaper
than paying a someone else to do it.

Some of those are more than happy to profit from the concerns that the word
Asbestos creates , loose Asbestos should be treated properly which may well
be beyond DIY but asbestos cement is relatively benign ,
Occasionally you find some that has disintegrated but the conditions that
cause that generally means it is saturated anyway.

Unfortunately the word Asbestos has become like the term radiation where
there are different types and levels
of concern with people assuming the worst .

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2018 11:54, Marland wrote:
Another John wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:

[...]

The previous owners of our home left the equivalent of four 6ft x 3ft
sheets of corrugated roofing asbestos in bits. Ive called a local
company advertising asbestos disposal in the local rag yesterday. He
quoted £250 to collect it!

Next door neighbour suggested digging a hole and burying it. With over
an acre of available garden I'm tempted.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The previous owners of our home left the equivalent of four 6ft x 3ft
sheets of corrugated roofing asbestos in bits. Ive called a local
company advertising asbestos disposal in the local rag yesterday. He
quoted £250 to collect it!

Next door neighbour suggested digging a hole and burying it. With over
an acre of available garden I'm tempted.

Mike

At that price just check he has a Waste Disposal Licence, there are a lot of people masquerading as waste disposers but in reality are just fly tippers and if the tipping is traced back to you it will be you fined or even jailed if the waste is considered hazardous.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

If you bought that what would be left after you got rid of the asbestos?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nissan huts are made of corrugated steel sheet.

sigh Not always, as you were told you earlier. Like this one
https://tinyurl.com/ychn4oay

If you bought that what would be left after you got rid of the asbestos?

A nice building plot?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 13:32:32 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
On 10/10/2018 11:54, Marland wrote:
Another John wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:

[...]

way easier to double bag & take to the tip

NT

Raising a Beach Hut Platform Tim UK diy 3 April 8th 07 03:13 PM
Honeywell HUT 102 Room Humidifier -- water leaks onto electrical power [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 23rd 07 01:25 PM
any ideas on a door for a PVC hut? AKA gray asphalt Home Repair 5 December 5th 05 06:24 PM
8x6 Garden Hut Woodworking 3 May 14th 05 11:42 AM
INSPIRATION - Hula Hound Hula Hut Doghouse J T Woodworking 2 January 19th 05 04:56 AM