Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to mill square edges

Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo

A bit stupid, using real wood wood be more instructive or making a
device to cut thick slices of bread thinner to defeat the cheats of
bakers who are continually making thicker slices so you do not get as
many sandwiches out of a loaf.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message ...
Theo wrote:
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo

A bit stupid, using real wood wood be more instructive or making a device to cut thick
slices of bread thinner to defeat the cheats of bakers who are continually making
thicker slices so you do not get as many sandwiches out of a loaf.

If you want a real bread conundrum, at least here in the UK, check out
why so little of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers
such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Why don't they simply make it shorter so as to fit in the toaster but with more slices ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams was thinking very hard :
If you want a real bread conundrum, at least here in the UK, check out
why so little of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers
such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Why don't they simply make it shorter so as to fit in the toaster but with
more slices ?

My Warburtons slices fit in the toaster just fine. Maybe it is your
toaster?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
michael adams was thinking very hard :
If you want a real bread conundrum, at least here in the UK, check out
why so little of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers
such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Why don't they simply make it shorter so as to fit in the toaster but with more slices
?

My Warburtons slices fit in the toaster just fine. Maybe it is your toaster?

https://www.reddit.com/r/britishprob...in_my_toaster/

What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
michael adams was thinking very hard :
If you want a real bread conundrum, at least here in the UK, check out
why so little of the thick "toastie" bread as supplied by major bakers
such as Warburtons, is too tall to fit in a standard toaster.

Google it if you don't believe me.

Why don't they simply make it shorter so as to fit in the toaster but with more slices
?

My Warburtons slices fit in the toaster just fine. Maybe it is your toaster?

https://www.reddit.com/r/britishprob...in_my_toaster/

What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

And oh yes sorry I was forgetting there is a Breville toaster
on the market, the main selling point of which, appears to be
that it is one of the few available which can actually accommodate
Warburtons bread.

This does however have the downside presumably that when its being
used to toast "normal" sized bread, all the electricity being used
to heat that part of the element which would formerly have
being toasting the extra Warburton area is now being totally
wasted. Apart from warming the kitchen that is - a real boon
in the height of Summer I'd imagine.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams used his keyboard to write :
What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

Er, you mentioned Warburtons in your post above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
michael adams used his keyboard to write :
What makes you think I buy Warburtons bread ?

I buy bread which fits in a "normal sized" toaster.

Er, you mentioned Warburtons in your post above.

Indeed I did. What I was concerned with was -

" why so little [for which read "much"]of the thick "toastie"
bread as supplied by major bakers such as Warburtons, is too
tall to fit in a standard toaster."

Which in itself might suggest that I myself might not be
inclined to buy Warburtons bread; for that very reason.

While another conundrum is suggested by the "Which" review
of the Breville toaster. From 2015. The Google link quotes
the following

" Breville says that this toaster is designed with Warburtons Toastie
bread in mind, and that it toasts this bread without leaving a white
gap at the top"

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/toas...urtons-vtt5701..

Which does rather suggest that prior to the arrival of the Breville toaster
in 2015 large numbers of people were buying Warburtons ovesized bread, and
either leaving a white bit on the top or cutting it to size.

But why would they do that ?

Why were they buying bread that was the wrong size of their toasters ?

And this is in no way similar to tinned food which was introduced and
sold before the invention of tin openers. In that case tinned food was
a real innovation which was of real practical value. The same cannot be
said of the introduction of oversized bread which didn't fit the
toasters then available.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Theo wrote:
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

A bit stupid, using real wood wood be more instructive or making a device
to cut thick slices of bread thinner to defeat the cheats of bakers who
are continually making thicker slices so you do not get as many sandwiches
out of a loaf.

They make thicker slices because those are better when toasted.

No one is forcing you to buy those if you are making sandwiches, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Senile Troll Alert!

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 04:40:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

A bit stupid, using real wood wood be more instructive or making a device
to cut thick slices of bread thinner to defeat the cheats of bakers who
are continually making thicker slices so you do not get as many sandwiches
out of a loaf.

They make thicker slices because those are better when toasted.

No one is forcing you to buy those if you are making sandwiches, stupid.

Now ALSO an expert in sandwiches, senile retard? LOL!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've never heard of the word "jointing" being used in that way. Is it an
Americanism?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've never heard of the word "jointing" being used in that way. Is it an Americanism?

English. In hand planes the jointer is the name given to the longest plane; and was/is
used to straighten the edges of boards which are to be butt jointed edge-to-edge
together.

This carried over to planing machines which in essence are very long hand planes
turned upside down. Plaining machines were alternatively referred to as jointers
and if there was a thicknesser function jointer thicknessers.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Adams wrote:

English.

Thanks for that; fascinating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 September 2018 23:20:34 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo

now I know how to get my sandwiches perfectly aligned!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2018 23:20, Theo wrote:
Came across a rather nice video on miling square pieces of wood... using
bread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5VRv3ddWLs

It works surprisingly well with a bloomer...

Theo

Had to watch it to the end in the hope of seeing him cut himself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

The Google link quotes the following

" Breville says that this toaster is designed with Warburtons Toastie
bread in mind, and that it toasts this bread without leaving a white
gap at the top"

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/toas...urtons-vtt5701..

Which does rather suggest that prior to the arrival of the Breville toaster
in 2015 large numbers of people were buying Warburtons ovesized bread, and
either leaving a white bit on the top or cutting it to size.

I just put Warburtons slices in lansdcape rather than portrait ...