Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Kitchen cupboard door glass retainer bezel fixed with tiny protruding nails

Two of my kitchen cupboard doors each have a glass insert which is
retained with a plastic/MDF moulding. In order to clean the glass and
the door I removed the bezel after much prising to find that it is
fixed with protruding tiny wire nails. It looks as if these nails are
inserted horizontally in the factory, then the bezel is "sprung" into
position (it has a fair bit of "give") so that the nails then pierce
the MDF portion of the bezel and hold it firm.

But I can find NO mention of these nails or the fixing method anywhere
on the internet, including YouTube.

Is anyone aware of what I'm referring to?

Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I can find NO mention of these nails or the fixing method anywhere
on the internet, including YouTube.

glazing pins?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2018 15:45, MM wrote:
Two of my kitchen cupboard doors each have a glass insert which is
retained with a plastic/MDF moulding. In order to clean the glass and
the door I removed the bezel after much prising to find that it is
fixed with protruding tiny wire nails. It looks as if these nails are
inserted horizontally in the factory, then the bezel is "sprung" into
position (it has a fair bit of "give") so that the nails then pierce
the MDF portion of the bezel and hold it firm.

But I can find NO mention of these nails or the fixing method anywhere
on the internet, including YouTube.

Is anyone aware of what I'm referring to?

In such circumstances, you will often find glazing beads are fixed with
headless pins. These are normally shot from a 23 gauge pin nailer or
similar. They are normally fired through the surface of the bead - but
because they are so fine and have no head, they become difficult or
impossible to see - especially after a bit of filling and finishing.

e.g. pin nailer being used for fitting a bit of moulding to a cabinet
(in this case glued as well):

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ngMoulding.jpg

You can just about see the marks of the pins against the light colour wood:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/6/6...Composited.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:22:40 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/09/2018 15:45, MM wrote:
[...]

My bezels have no outward sign of a nail gun having been used. When
the bezel is removed, the wires protrude about 6 mm from the receiving
edge, i.e. the edge in the door, i.e. that's the amount they are
inserted (somehow) into the inside edge of the bezel. There are four
wires on the long edges and three on the top and bottom edges of the
one-piece oblong bezel.

To refix my bezel I used very small 5/8" moulding pins, but
pre-drilled the bezel first. As this is all on the *in*side of the
door, you wouldn't know unless you looked very carefully.

I did one door only. After after seeing what trouble I'd given myself
I didn't remove the second bezel from door #2, but cleaned the glass
and door in-situ.

I'l draw a pic later.

MM