Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6mm T&E

Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid cores, I
thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth solid? Have
they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid cores, I
thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth solid?Â* Have
they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/09/2018 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid cores,
I thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth solid?
Have they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid
cores, I thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth
solid? Have they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.

That's what I thought!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/09/2018 17:46, GB wrote:
On 18/09/2018 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid
cores, I thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth
solid? Have they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.

You can bend it quite easily. It's just a bugger to get the cooker
switch back into position and fit the face plate screws;-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6mm wouldn't give you the work out I had with 185mm sectored aluminium on a repair job years ago.
4X185, SOLID SECTORAL CONDUCTORS,XLPE,PVC,SWA,PVC BS5467 1KV
Conductor Size (mm2): 185
No Of Cores: 4
Weight(Kg/Km): 5076
Overall Diameter(mm): 51.1
Gland Size: 50
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 17:46, GB wrote:
On 18/09/2018 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid
cores, I thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth
solid? Have they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.

Even 6 mm^2, which of course is only 2.8 mm diameter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/09/2018 13:21, newshound wrote:
On 18/09/2018 17:46, GB wrote:
On 18/09/2018 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Both SF and TS websites show 6mm twin and earth as having solid
cores, I thought at that size the phases were stranded and the earth
solid? Have they just scaled up a photo of 2.5mm cable?

Probably... its normally 7 strands of about 1.04mm diameter.

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.

Even 6 mm^2, which of course is only 2.8 mm diameter.

Damn you for being right once again! I had forgotten it's CSA and I was
thinking diameter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

GB wrote:

6mm solid would give you quite a work-out bending the stuff.

Even 6 mm^2, which of course is only 2.8 mm diameter.

Have spent the last three days fitting a new kitchen for my parents, no
problem with re-instating/re-locating the cooker point, hence the 6mm^2
question.

While there I discovered that some of their ring circuit cables (1967
built house) have the dreaded "green goo" which also appears to have
bleached the outer insulation from grey to white-ish ... it had me
searching for the other end of an actual white cable until I realised it
wasn't actually white cable.

6mm T&E cable routing requirements Jim x321x UK diy 12 August 2nd 15 08:32 PM
Fuse for Desk Lamp 10mm x 3.6mm 1.0 Amp 250 Volt Steve Lowe UK diy 14 February 12th 14 08:56 PM
6mm^2 T&E ratings Stephen[_6_] UK diy 10 October 25th 09 09:56 AM
6mm^2 T&E in conduit Fred UK diy 22 April 14th 08 03:16 AM
What rating shower heater on 6mm T&E cable/ DavidM UK diy 2 May 12th 07 01:09 AM