Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas pipe under floor - what are the rules ?

Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining room, by knocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island for dishwasher and hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second thoughts and now considering gas.

So here's the question:

Can a flexible (plastic?) gas pipe be run along underfloor from near the meter to the island, i.e can a gas pipe be just trailed underfloor, or would regulations state that it needs to be fully fastened at regular intervals ? (I expect that's the case).

I ask because having to fix a long pipe end to end underfloor would mean ripping up the floor to do so, while simply threading a pipe underfloor from point "A" to point "B" would actually be pretty straight forward, if you don't have to fasten it along the path.

I don't plan to terminate the gas connections myself by the way.

Thanks for any input.

cf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
cf-leeds writes
[...]

Look up tracpipe

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:

I ask because having to fix a long pipe end to end underfloor would mean
ripping up the floor to do so, while simply threading a pipe underfloor
from point "A" to point "B" would actually be pretty straight forward, if
you don't have to fasten it along the path.

I don't plan to terminate the gas connections myself by the way.

Thanks for any input.

Go for induction. ;-)

Im pretty sure that there are quite long lengths on unclipped gas pipe
under my floors but of course that might not reflect current regulations.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 18:02, cf-leeds wrote:

Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining room, by knocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island for dishwasher and hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second thoughts and now considering gas.

So here's the question:

Can a flexible (plastic?) gas pipe be run along underfloor from near the meter to the island, i.e can a gas pipe be just trailed underfloor, or would regulations state that it needs to be fully fastened at regular intervals ? (I expect that's the case).

You can't use plastic pipe for gas internally, although there are semi
flexible systems like tracpipe that use a corrugated stainless steel
pipe with PU jacket over.

http://www.tracpipe.co.uk/uploads/do...k_di_guide.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 18:02, cf-leeds wrote:
Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining room, by knocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island for dishwasher and hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second thoughts and now considering gas.

Don't Having gone from gas to induction I can say that induction is
much more controlable. If power supply is your concern, some induction
hobs will run from a 13A socket with the hob controlling the powe used.

Malcolm

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 06:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
I agree those in favour of an induction hob. We had one installed, and
I'm very pleased with it: very quick response to change in input
power. But you do need pans with magnetisable steel bottoms to respond
to the induction. Ordinary Al- or Cu-bottomed pans won't work. Check
them with a magnet.

We had one for about 6 months until I was made redundant and we moved
for the new job.

It was well worth buying the new set of pans for. The only thing you
can't use is a wok - and for that I use a sauté pan. Flat bottom.

The new kitchen is next on the jobs list, and it will have an induction
hob on an island.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 18:02, cf-leeds wrote:
Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining room, by knocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island for dishwasher and hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second thoughts and now considering gas.

Another one for Induction here.
We've had one for about 15 years now. (Neff)
It's far better than gas.

If you want to do a stir-fry and get jiggly with a pan without
scratching the hob top simply put a sheet of kitchen roll between pan
base and hob as it's induction and doesn't require direct contact.

As for cleaning, again it's no contest. Induction beats everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2018 22:59, Vir Campestris wrote:

8

It was well worth buying the new set of pans for. The only thing you
can't use is a wok - and for that I use a sauté pan. Flat bottom.

I use an Ikea wok on my induction hob. Its a bit flat in the middle but
it works OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2018 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/09/18 09:26, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 15/09/2018 18:02, cf-leeds wrote:
Please can someone verify regulations on gas pipes underfloor.

Here's the situation in a nutshell:

I'm ripping out the old kitchen, to unite the kitchen and dining
room, by knocking down a dividing wall. We will then have an island
for dishwasher and hob.

We were going to go for an induction hob, but I'm having second
thoughts and now considering gas.

Another one for Induction here.
We've had one for about 15 years now. (Neff)
It's far better than gas.

If you want to do a stir-fry and get jiggly with a pan without
scratching the hob top simply put a sheet of kitchen roll between pan
base and hob as it's induction and doesn't require direct contact.

As for cleaning, again it's no contest. Induction beats everything.

+1 there.

I was also pretty much converted by one in a holiday cottage. Not
abandoning my six ring gas range for a bit, though.