Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the hardware types.

I have two computers - an Acorn and PC - sharing via a KVM switch. Works
exactly as I want.

Thing is the mouse. Has to be PS2 to be shared. The KVM switch is PS2/DVI.
And I like the PS2 Acorn keyboard.

The mouse is clapped out. And PS2 cordless optical hard to find new. Add
to that the poor battery life. Two AA NiMH are lucky to last just over a
week or so. Alkaline perhaps a month.

I've bought a SmallyMouse2 which allows a modern USB 2.4G cordless optical
to work with the Acorn. The SM has a flying lead with the Acorn connector
one end - USB in its case. (To use PS2, I have an adaptor from Acorn to
PS2) At the moment, I'm now using a second USB cordless with the PC. Which
upsets my OCD. ;-)

So the question. Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

Generally the PS/2-USB adapters are passive (perhaps coded with a short
or a resistor between two pins) so when the mouse is plugged in, it
looks to detect that and if it does it "boots" as a USB mouse, otherwise
as a PS/2 mouse ... so the smarts are in the mouse, not the adapter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

Generally the PS/2-USB adapters are passive (perhaps coded with a short
or a resistor between two pins) so when the mouse is plugged in, it
looks to detect that and if it does it "boots" as a USB mouse, otherwise
as a PS/2 mouse ... so the smarts are in the mouse, not the adapter.

I've got zero clue how many circuits etc are used in each - especially
given the number of pins on PS2.

Bust are you saying a the PS2 switch in the KVM might work for USB if I
can get all the connections correct? I'd be happy to make things if needed.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

are you saying a the PS2 switch in the KVM might work for USB if I
can get all the connections correct?

No, those adapters only allow the mouse they came with to work as either
a PS2 or as a USB mouse, but your KVM will only work with a PS2 mouse
anyway. Since the smally2 expects a USB mouse, looks like you need a
DVI/USB KVM instead of DVI/PS2 ...

In the same way most KVM manufacturers are cagey about supporting
wireless receivers for wireless mice, I daresay they wouldn't want to
guarantee working with a smally2, my Aten DP/USB happens to work with a
logitech universal receiver, but a few features of the mouse are lost,
and the support is unofficial, I think my older Aten DVI/USB didn't work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So the question. Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

Possibly if it's one of those with a big mechanical switch, or relays.
But most likely it's some logic gates redriving the signal, and they won't
handle USB. So generally not.

Since this is uk.d-i-y, I suppose it might be possible to make an external
relay box and hook it in to the KVM somehow...

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 15:10:49 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to handle the USB
signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so everything
physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't work.

Generally the PS/2-USB adapters are passive (perhaps coded with a short
or a resistor between two pins) so when the mouse is plugged in, it
looks to detect that and if it does it "boots" as a USB mouse, otherwise
as a PS/2 mouse ... so the smarts are in the mouse, not the adapter.

There are smart keyboard adaptors, but not seen one for mice.

Best plan is a KVM that handles both. I am a *great* fan of the Aten
ones; they work well, and unlike many others (I mean you, Belkin) they
emulate well enough that you can boot another machine in the background
without it screwing up.

I wasted a lot of money on inferior KVMs before I discovered these.

https://tinyurl.com/y7hplbqw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

are you saying a the PS2 switch in the KVM might work for USB if I
can get all the connections correct?

No, those adapters only allow the mouse they came with to work as either
a PS2 or as a USB mouse, but your KVM will only work with a PS2 mouse
anyway. Since the smally2 expects a USB mouse, looks like you need a
DVI/USB KVM instead of DVI/PS2 ...

Snag is I want to retain the PS2 Acorn keyboard. Which works with both it
and the PC, via the KVM. The Acorn as no USB, so can't use a USB keyboard.

In the same way most KVM manufacturers are cagey about supporting
wireless receivers for wireless mice, I daresay they wouldn't want to
guarantee working with a smally2, my Aten DP/USB happens to work with a
logitech universal receiver, but a few features of the mouse are lost,
and the support is unofficial, I think my older Aten DVI/USB didn't work.

Wonder if I could use a USB switch? Any method of making that work from
the switching signal of the KVM?

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
So the question. Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal? I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

Possibly if it's one of those with a big mechanical switch, or relays.
But most likely it's some logic gates redriving the signal, and they won't
handle USB. So generally not.

Since this is uk.d-i-y, I suppose it might be possible to make an external
relay box and hook it in to the KVM somehow...

I've no problems with building something. A USB switch linked in to the
KVM would be just fine. Perhaps I'll need to look for some circuits.

Is there any switched volts on the PS2 connectors on the KVM that I could
use?

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:20:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

In the same way most KVM manufacturers are cagey about supporting
wireless receivers for wireless mice,

I view a proper wired KVM solution as being one which needs to be rock
solid which isn't compatible with anything "wireless".

Only thing I want wireless is the mouse. ;-)

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Wonder if I could use a USB switch? Any method of making that work from
the switching signal of the KVM?

If the KVM has a status LED per input port, you could hook a logic
circuit from that using something like 4066B quad switch IC ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Is there any switched volts on the PS2 connectors on the KVM that I could
use?

Normally 4 out of the 6 PS/2 pins are GND, +5V, CLK, DATA (occasionally
two DATA pins if designed to work with a Y splitter for keyboard and
mouse on a single port, usually split green and purple, rather than one
or the other)

http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/PS2Mouse_pinout.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've no problems with building something. A USB switch linked in to the
KVM would be just fine. Perhaps I'll need to look for some circuits.

Since the mouse is USB 1.1, it's only 12Mbps. So a DPDT relay may get away
with it. The main thing is whether each machine is happy with the mouse
being hot(un)plugged each time you switch, or whether they get confused.

It is possible you might need to power down the mouse while you switch
over, to make sure it restarts attached to the new machine.

Is there any switched volts on the PS2 connectors on the KVM that I could
use?

If the switch was the other way (two mice, one PC) they could be switching
PS2 power. But the other way both PC outputs are inputting power to the
KVM, so you can't tell.

There might be an LED or something you can tap into to extract which output
is enabled.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have two computers - an Acorn and PC - sharing via a KVM switch. Works
exactly as I want.

Thing is the mouse. Has to be PS2 to be shared. The KVM switch is PS2/DVI.
And I like the PS2 Acorn keyboard.

The mouse is clapped out. And PS2 cordless optical hard to find new. Add
to that the poor battery life. Two AA NiMH are lucky to last just over a
week or so. Alkaline perhaps a month.

I've bought a SmallyMouse2 which allows a modern USB 2.4G cordless optical
to work with the Acorn. The SM has a flying lead with the Acorn connector
one end - USB in its case. (To use PS2, I have an adaptor from Acorn to
PS2) At the moment, I'm now using a second USB cordless with the PC. Which
upsets my OCD. ;-)

So the question. Would it be possible to get the PS2 switch in the KVM to
handle the USB signal?

Pretty unlikely

I can source adaptors of the correct gender so
everything physically plugs in, but no point if it fundamentally won't
work.

The basic passive adaptors won't work since they require the mouse to
switch between PS/2 and USB. With the adaptor on they run USB protocol.

There are however active adaptors/protocol converters that will convert
a true USB mouse and KB to PS/2 - I did get a seriously expensive one
from Black Box in the hope of being able to run a modern gaming KB on my
PS/2 KVM - alas it did not seem to recognise the more sophisticated
keyboards. It did however work with the mouse. So chances are that would
do it for you also.

https://www.blackbox.co.uk/gb-gb/fi/...PS-2-Converter

(not sure if there is anything else similar out there that is cheaper -
but there might be. Failing that I could flog you mine ;-))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

What sort of switch does the KVM use?
Can you attach a new switch to it that operates at the same time and
wire up the connections as required on the new switch?
Just a passive switch no electronics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have two computers - an Acorn and PC - sharing via a KVM switch. Works
exactly as I want.

Thing is the mouse. Has to be PS2 to be shared. The KVM switch is PS2/DVI.
And I like the PS2 Acorn keyboard.

Yeah, but....

Can't you use VNC? Allows use of both machines at the same time, one
windowed inside the other.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Best plan is a KVM that handles both. I am a *great* fan of the Aten
ones; they work well, and unlike many others (I mean you, Belkin) they
emulate well enough that you can boot another machine in the background
without it screwing up.

It's an Aten I have. However, if you don't select the PC when it is
booting, the PS2 mouse won't work on it - might of course be different
with USB.

Are you saying they do a version with DVI, PS2 and USB? (don't need the
audio) That would probably get round my problem - at a cost, as they're
not cheap.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Wonder if I could use a USB switch? Any method of making that work from
the switching signal of the KVM?

If the KVM has a status LED per input port, you could hook a logic
circuit from that using something like 4066B quad switch IC ...

Good thinking there. ;-)

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
What sort of switch does the KVM use?

A sequence of key presses on the keyboard. Which I like - saves having a
switch cluttering up the place.
Can you attach a new switch to it that operates at the same time and
wire up the connections as required on the new switch?
Just a passive switch no electronics.

--
*IF YOU TRY TO FAIL, AND SUCCEED, WHICH HAVE YOU DONE?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I have two computers - an Acorn and PC - sharing via a KVM switch.
Works exactly as I want.

Thing is the mouse. Has to be PS2 to be shared. The KVM switch is
PS2/DVI. And I like the PS2 Acorn keyboard.

Yeah, but....

Can't you use VNC? Allows use of both machines at the same time, one
windowed inside the other.

Not ideal. I don't always want them both on. They get switched off when
not in use.

--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 23:55:15 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Best plan is a KVM that handles both. I am a *great* fan of the Aten
ones; they work well, and unlike many others (I mean you, Belkin) they
emulate well enough that you can boot another machine in the background
without it screwing up.

It's an Aten I have. However, if you don't select the PC when it is
booting, the PS2 mouse won't work on it - might of course be different
with USB.

Hmm. Mine is a combined USB-PS/2 one. I use a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2
mouse, and it's connected to two machines with USB. It doesn't have that
booting problem on either Windows or FreeBSD.

Is the firmware up to date?

Are you saying they do a version with DVI, PS2 and USB? (don't need the
audio) That would probably get round my problem - at a cost, as they're
not cheap.

Not sure - have a look on their website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Wonder if I could use a USB switch? Any method of making that work from
the switching signal of the KVM?

If the KVM has a status LED per input port, you could hook a logic
circuit from that using something like 4066B quad switch IC ...

Good thinking there. ;-)

Although presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going
to look like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected
to the next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it
remains connected to all the machines at the same time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No idea, but I have seen hardware converters for both directions on the web,
and I do not mean just connector changingthere is one here I have that
allows one usb to handle a ps2 mouse and a keyboard on the same lead.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going to look
like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected to the
next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it remains
connected to all the machines at the same time.

Depends how 'intelligent' the mouse is, if e.g. it has configurable DPI
and programmable buttons, then each O/S might send different settings
and get confused when switching computers ... or the delay in
plug'n'playing the mouse when swapping ports might be annoying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going to look
like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected to the
next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it remains
connected to all the machines at the same time.

Depends how 'intelligent' the mouse is, if e.g. it has configurable DPI
and programmable buttons, then each O/S might send different settings
and get confused when switching computers ... or the delay in
plug'n'playing the mouse when swapping ports might be annoying.

I suppose I could try a cheap USB switch and see if it works. Obviously,
I'd need one which can be remote switched to do what I want.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 08:50, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going to
look like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected to
the next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it
remains connected to all the machines at the same time.

Depends how 'intelligent' the mouse is, if e.g. it has configurable DPI
and programmable buttons, then each O/S might send different settings
and get confused when switching computers ... or the delay in
plug'n'playing the mouse when swapping ports might be annoying.

I have certainly seen issues even on some proper KVMs when switching
between machines with different OSs because the mouse configuration
maintained by the KVM is not consistent with each OS.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

presumably if you simply hard switch a USB mouse then its going to
look like its been disconnected from one machine and then connected to
the next. The USB KVM switches usually maintain the illusion that it
remains connected to all the machines at the same time.

Depends how 'intelligent' the mouse is, if e.g. it has configurable DPI
and programmable buttons, then each O/S might send different settings
and get confused when switching computers ... or the delay in
plug'n'playing the mouse when swapping ports might be annoying.

I have certainly seen issues even on some proper KVMs when switching
between machines with different OSs because the mouse configuration
maintained by the KVM is not consistent with each OS.

Tell me about it. There are three KVMs in regular use here, and each has
a mixture of Windows and FreeBSD machines attached to it (and one has
other weird things).

The Aten is the *only* one to preserve state properly and reliably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Did think USB was meant to be 'hot' plugable. Unlike older ports.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

It is, but normally KVMs present an illusion to the computer that the
mouse remains connected at all times. So no delays in it detecting and
re mounting the device on each switch.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 17:02:34 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I should have reiterated that both mouse and keyboard are actually PS/2!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
The Aten is the *only* one to preserve state properly and reliably.

Did think USB was meant to be 'hot' plugable. Unlike older ports.

I should have reiterated that both mouse and keyboard are actually PS/2!

My old cordless mouse was one of those that was USB, but supplied with a
USB to PS2 adaptor. I think of a type known as quadrature?

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2018 07:46, Brian Gaff wrote:

No idea, but I have seen hardware converters for both directions on the web,
and I do not mean just connector changingthere is one here I have that
allows one usb to handle a ps2 mouse and a keyboard on the same lead.

Converters that allow PS/2 devices to be connected to a computer via USB
are fairly common - although many are crap. A common failing for example
is not supporting the \ key on UK keyboards. Others work but suffer
random lock-ups.

The converters for going the other way (i.e. USB peripherals into a pair
of PS/2 connections) seem far rarer. The only reasonable one I found was
the pricey black box one which works quite well but does not seem to
support the flasher keyboards.

--
Cheers,

John.