Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:46:12 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:11:28 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 19:38:02 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 19:12:29 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 17:57:32 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/09/2018 10:53 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Once you lot are out of the EU, you'll have decent Korean cars
available

Like Dacia and Daiwoo? Loads of them about already.

Dacias are Romanian, aren't they?

Yep, and a Renault subsidiary there.

While I work with a woman named Dacia, that's as close as I'll ever
get
to one. We don't even have Renaults any more and after the Yugo,
any
eastern European creations are suspect. There are some who feel
that
the
only worthwhile thing Clinton did was bombing the Yugo plant.

I've yet to see any car that's reliable.

Mine hasn't had a single failure in 12 years.

Why, in the 21st century, can't we make anything that just keeps
working?

They have with mine. Corse its not a european steaming turd with
wheels.

Are you talking about your Golf?

Nope, the Getz that replaced it.

Did you suddenly feel the need to drive at precisely the speed limit
when
you bought it?

Nope. In fact its so light with such a decent engine
that I was hooning along at well over 140K Km on the
way back from an airshow in Temora on the first
trip out of town in the new car. That's exceeding
the 100K speed limit by the level at which the
cops can seize the car instead of just fining you.

Ours is about 30mph over. Which I guess is similar. But it's not just
seizing the car, your license gets removed,

Yeah, ours is too. And currently a $2.5K fine as well.

My friend when we were about 20 got done for 130mph in a 50mph limit (late at night, clear road). He was given the option of about a £2500 fine or 2 years ban from driving. He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't broken the law.

because the ****wits think driving fast means you're dangerous.

The cop had the decency to list it at just under 140K
and just slug me the ****ing great fine.

Less paperwork.

I chose to
front the magistrate instead of paying the fine
and pointed out that that was on a straight stretch
of flat road, not even any trees on the side of the
road for more than 10KM with no other cars in
sight until the cop car showed up coming in the
other direction, presumably at 100K. Driving into
the setting sun, and lied to the magistrate that
it was the first time in the new car and I didn't
notice it was going that fast. He let me off.

Bloody hell. Try that here and get double the fine,

You risk that here too.

they bribe you by letting you have less problems if you plead guilty.

All the Hyundai drivers here do.

Don't believe that either

Anyone owning a Hyundai is an OCD ****wit or an OAP.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

No, it's just what most Hyundai owners here are like. In fact I don't ever recall any Hyundai going over the limit.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K over the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a decent speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

Even you should be able to do better
than that pathetic excuse for a troll.

Obviously not.

Always in my ****ing way!

I had to replace things on my Golf.

I didn't have to replace much, just the alternator regulator and the
exhaust silencer, once.

Actually I gave up on mine because of the large amount of rust
underneath
to pass the ****ing government nanny state MOT.

I did too, but that was my stupidity. I don't garage or carport
my cars and knew that the Golf passengers floor got wet after
heavy rain due to the windscreen seal and had never got
around to redoing the windscreen seal. That eventually
did rust thru the floor. No rust on the outside tho.

My garage is for storing things,

I never did bother to do the carport.

I don't have room indoors for a car.

I could if I wanted to but choose not to.

Some say it's better to be outdoors for the wind to dry it off after a rainy drive. Dunno how true that is.

Maybe less than with some cars, but I still needed replacement
suspension parts etc.

I didn't replace any of those and I used that Golf for
much longer than you did, 45 years in fact and used
it every day to go to and from work too.

Are your roads littered with speed bumps?

Yep.

I go over perhaps 200 a day.

Nothing like as many here.

Not littered then. Here, they're even stupid enough to put them in places
where you couldn't possibly be breaking the limit, like literally 10 feet
from a junction.

Not here.

You wouldn't believe how stupid our councils are.

I did have to replace one of the giant rubber
things that the exhaust system hangs on.

I've found exhausts on all makes of cars to be similar. Stupidly made
out
of rustable metals.

That's why I replaced it with a stainless steel one.

Since I buy cars for £500,

So can I but I choose not to anymore. The last 3 cars have been bought
new. You get a lot more choice of car, can be sure of no problems to fix
that you have to pay for for years and I generally keep them for so long
that the extra cost isnt worth the hassle with old bombs.

If I wanted to spend more, I'd probably buy 3 year old cars. Then you don't lose loads in depreciation, but you still get reliability, and probably a warranty.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We don't have any option, you get both and 6 demerit points
with no driving if you end up with a total of 13 points. And
double demerits on major public holidays too like Easter and
Xmas, so you can lose your licence even if you are under 140km
and you have some points lost already.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

Bull****.

In fact I don't ever recall any Hyundai going over the limit.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K over
the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a decent
speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

You've just claimed that Hyundai drivers don't, you pathetic excuse for a
troll.

[...]

Its bull**** because being outside sees it get
wet much more often on that soggy little island.

[...]

But have a much worse choice of car to buy.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I really don't get why they do double demerits.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

[...]

No it isn't. The sort of "sensible" person who follows all the rules like speed limits also buys a "sensible" small car that's more fuel efficient.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K over
the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a decent
speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

You've just claimed that Hyundai drivers don't, you pathetic excuse for a
troll.

And I know nobody decent who drives a Hyundai.

[...]

I agree. It would dry off far quicker in a garage, especially if you added a little heating and ventilation.

[...]

There's thousands of 2nd hand cars to buy, mainly because of the huge number of morons who replace their brand new car every 2 years.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Basically to get people to be more careful about the road
rules when there is more traffic on the roads for holidays etc.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

[...]

Corse it is.

The sort of "sensible" person who follows all the rules like speed limits
also buys a "sensible" small car that's more fuel efficient.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

And Hyundai has top end large cars like the Grandeur too.

[...]

Nope, the wind effect is quicker but outside its
also where the next rain will wet it again too.

especially if you added a little heating and ventilation.

No one with a clue heats their garage.

[...]

Far more choice with new ones.

mainly because of the huge number of morons who replace their brand new
car every 2 years.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a
longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2018 04:36 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs although it's
rumored one of the larger sedans might survive.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always
proved you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then
the Japs with the Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.

Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.

Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are
mostly done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

although it's rumored one of the larger sedans might survive.

Then they are the next one to go broke.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:46:12 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

You need to be less careful, congestion slows you down anyway.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there quicker"?!?

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere - possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

[...]

Not many of those here, most are i10 i20 etc. And every single one goes slowly. There are other makes that are driven slow, but Hyundai is the one guaranteed to get in my way.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K over
the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a
decent
speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

You've just claimed that Hyundai drivers don't, you pathetic excuse for a
troll.

And I know nobody decent who drives a Hyundai.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Nope, just a statement of fact. In fact the first Hyundai owner I can think of here has OCD. He goes PRECISELY the speed limit. He gave me a lift once and panicked because he'd forgotten if it was a 20 or 30mph limit we were in, so he decided he'd go 25. I tried to persuade him that he was a decent driver (or so he thinks) so he surely must know his own safe speed, but he wanted numbers on signs.

[...]

Apparently not underneath (not that I believe it).

especially if you added a little heating and ventilation.

No one with a clue heats their garage.

Depends what's in it. Lots of people have frost protection for stuff they store, or they don't want the car iced up.

[...]

Bull****, you can only get the current models, instead of everything in the last x years.
There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

mainly because of the huge number of morons who replace their brand new
car every 2 years.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a
longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though, especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2018 10:19 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always proved
you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then the Japs with the
Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.
Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are mostly
done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

If Ford thought they could sell their rebadged world cars in the US,
don't you think they would do so?

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You need to be less careful,

Nope, not when all those drunken tourists are on the roads.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they
introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there
quicker"?!?

Nothing like. Our speed limits don't change in those times,
just the points penalty if you get caught flouting the law
doubles. And if you already have some demerit points, that
can see you lose your license when caught flouting the law.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere

We do crush cars with the worst of the hoon behaviour,
particularly deliberate street racing etc.

- possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

But a real penalty for those stupid kids who can just
refuse to pay the fine and continue to drive without
a licence. Their car is their only asset and the thing
that they value most. We don't jail them if them
refuse to pay the fine now.

[...]

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

[...]

Only a fool heats their garage even on that soggy little frigid island.

[...]

Bull****,

Fact.

you can only get the current models, instead of everything in the last x
years.

Everything in in the last x years isnt for sale today.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

mainly because of the huge number of morons who replace their brand new
car every 2 years.

I tend to replace an exhaust only once, so pointless me getting a
longer
lasting one. They should be manufactured with them though,
especially
those with a 7 year warranty. Although I guess they scam you on
that
and
omit the exhaust from the warranty.

Mine doesn't. Only the tyres and battery are excluded.

Odd as a battery lasts at least 5 years.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/11/2018 10:19 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always proved
you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then the Japs with the
Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.
Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are mostly
done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

If Ford thought they could sell their rebadged world cars in the US, don't
you think they would do so?

Nope, they are too stupid to do that, that's why they are going broke.

Pity about all those Yaris, Polo, Golf, Corolla sized cars selling there
right now.

Ford's problem is that they are profitable for them. But they clearly are
for
Toyota, Mazda and VW, Ford is so ****ing hopeless that they can't do same.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2018 12:56 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Nope, they are too stupid to do that, that's why they are going broke.

Pity about all those Yaris, Polo, Golf, Corolla sized cars selling there
right now.

Ford's problem is that they are profitable for them. But they clearly
are for
Toyota, Mazda and VW, Ford is so ****ing hopeless that they can't do same.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-earnings.aspx
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...uck-sales.aspx

Yeah, they are going Chapter 7 any day now.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:56:58 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

It's ok, some ****wit government will bail them out by stealing people's taxes like Vauxhall/GM/Opel/Holden.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:05:43 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Never witnessed that. By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable. That's a myth made up by the government.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No, if it's very congested you don't bother. It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks they should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they
introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there
quicker"?!?

Nothing like. Our speed limits don't change in those times,
just the points penalty if you get caught flouting the law
doubles. And if you already have some demerit points, that
can see you lose your license when caught flouting the law.

Stupid idea, since when there's more traffic you get stuck well below the limit anyway.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere

We do crush cars with the worst of the hoon behaviour,
particularly deliberate street racing etc.

Why? What's the point in wasting the car? Punish the driver not the vehicle.

- possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

But a real penalty for those stupid kids who can just
refuse to pay the fine and continue to drive without
a licence. Their car is their only asset and the thing
that they value most. We don't jail them if them
refuse to pay the fine now.

Why crush the car? Why not sell it at a police auction?

[...]

No, it's what happens here.

[...]

Like your fat friend.

[...]

I have frost protection so I don't lose a large amount of paint etc.

That's my point, with used cars you get the last 10-15 years of models. With new cars you get **** all because they keep pointlessly redesigning things.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps. Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's worth £20,000 in a few years.. WTF?
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Ford's problem is that they arent profitable for them.

In the USA.

But they clearly are for Toyota, Mazda and VW, Ford is so ****ing
hopeless that they can't do same.

It's ok, some ****wit government will bail them out by stealing people's
taxes like Vauxhall/GM/Opel/Holden.

We don't anymore, we pulled the plug on our local car
manufacturing. Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi, all gone.
Nissan, VW etc well before that.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Never witnessed that.

Likely because we move around a lot more than you
lot do in those holidays. Xmas/NY is in the summer
here and hordes spend most of it down the beach etc.
And our beaches have real sand, not piles of stones.

Easter is still decent camping weather too.

Liz's birthday sees lots going heading off to the snow.

By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable.

It does see a much higher accident rate.
One of the garage salers managed to
drive right thru the ****ing fence at
home when he drove home ****ed.

That's a myth made up by the government.

Nope, trivially measurable.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No,

Yep, particularly with our highways.

if it's very congested you don't bother.

Wrong with our highways.

It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks they
should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

In our case it's the caravans and RVs being overtaken.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they
introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there
quicker"?!?

Nothing like. Our speed limits don't change in those times,
just the points penalty if you get caught flouting the law
doubles. And if you already have some demerit points, that
can see you lose your license when caught flouting the law.

Stupid idea, since when there's more traffic you get stuck well below the
limit anyway.

I'm not talking about the congestion seen in the weekday
peak times with everyone going to and from work.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere

We do crush cars with the worst of the hoon behaviour,
particularly deliberate street racing etc.

Why?

Because it's the only penalty that hurts stupid kids
like that. Fines are useless, they don't pay them
and we don't jail fine defaulters anymore.

What's the point in wasting the car?

It's the only asset they have and what they
care about losing and they have already paid
for it and can't avoid paying to replace it.

Punish the driver not the vehicle

Not possible with those stupid kids.

Even jailing them costs and insane amount
of money. Much cheaper to crush their car.

They'll just buy it back. Crush it and they are ****ed.

[...]

On the outside of the house too ? Yeah, right.

With **** all choice of extras etc, you are stuck with what its got.

With new cars you get **** all because they keep pointlessly redesigning
things.

That's bull****., The i30 has quite a bit of useful stuff that the Getz
hasn't like cruise control, Apple Car Play etc.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps.

I've got far more than I will ever spend. Corse I[m not unemployable.

Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's
worth £20,000 in a few years. WTF?

I used the Golf for 45 years from new. That's peanuts per year.

The Getz is 12 years old and only lacks cruise control and
fancy automatic door mirrors and fully integrated cameras
etc and doesn't drive itself.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:36:13 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Or maybe you lot can't handle your drink.

Xmas/NY is in the summer
here and hordes spend most of it down the beach etc.
And our beaches have real sand, not piles of stones.

Plenty sandy beaches here.

Easter is still decent camping weather too.

Liz's birthday sees lots going heading off to the snow.

Who?

By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable.

It does see a much higher accident rate.
One of the garage salers managed to
drive right thru the ****ing fence at
home when he drove home ****ed.

That's a myth made up by the government.

Nope, trivially measurable.

All it does to me is make me feel happier.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No,

Yep, particularly with our highways.

if it's very congested you don't bother.

Wrong with our highways.

Then that's not congested.

It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks they
should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

In our case it's the caravans and RVs being overtaken.

Why can't people in slow vehicles pull over regularly to let people past?

[...]

Then the car should be taken and sold to someone else. Crushing it is a pointless waste.

- possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

But a real penalty for those stupid kids who can just
refuse to pay the fine and continue to drive without
a licence. Their car is their only asset and the thing
that they value most. We don't jail them if them
refuse to pay the fine now.

Why crush the car?

It's the only asset they have and what they
care about losing and they have already paid
for it and can't avoid paying to replace it.

Why not sell it at a police auction?

They'll just buy it back. Crush it and they are ****ed.

No, they'll buy a different one. Destroying one car won't change anything.

[...]

I don't store paint outside.

[...]

But I can pick from 832 choices. Or more if I go further afield.

With new cars you get **** all because they keep pointlessly redesigning
things.

That's bull****., The i30 has quite a bit of useful stuff that the Getz
hasn't like cruise control, Apple Car Play etc.

Pretty sure I can find a used car with cruise control....

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps.

I've got far more than I will ever spend. Corse I[m not unemployable.

Most aren't like that, go look up the average wage.

Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's
worth £20,000 in a few years. WTF?

I used the Golf for 45 years from new. That's peanuts per year.

And if you'd bought it used, you would have halved that cost.

The Getz is 12 years old and only lacks cruise control and
fancy automatic door mirrors and fully integrated cameras
etc and doesn't drive itself.

Up there you said cruise control was "useful stuff".

Come on, nobody buys a tiny little car if they can afford a big one.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That dumpy little german woman that
infests Buck House with Phil and Big Ears.

Bull****. Its trivial to measure that it does a lot more than that.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No,

Yep, particularly with our highways.

if it's very congested you don't bother.

Wrong with our highways.

Then that's not congested.

Wrong, as always.

It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks they
should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

In our case it's the caravans and RVs being overtaken.

Why can't people in slow vehicles pull over regularly to let people past?

Doesn't help with the volume of traffic on those holidays.

[...]

Not feasible to ensure that they don't get a mate to buy it.

Crushing it is a pointless waste.

Lot cheaper than jailing them or making them
do community service and is a real disincentive
for street racing and that sort of hooning.

- possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

But a real penalty for those stupid kids who can just
refuse to pay the fine and continue to drive without
a licence. Their car is their only asset and the thing
that they value most. We don't jail them if them
refuse to pay the fine now.

Why crush the car?

It's the only asset they have and what they
care about losing and they have already paid
for it and can't avoid paying to replace it.

Why not sell it at a police auction?

They'll just buy it back. Crush it and they are ****ed.

No, they'll buy a different one.

Wrong.

Destroying one car won't change anything.

A lot more than one car gets crushed.

[...]

Stupid to be storing paint in heated garage.

[...]

Lot more choices with new cars.

With new cars you get **** all because they keep pointlessly redesigning
things.

That's bull****., The i30 has quite a bit of useful stuff that the Getz
hasn't like cruise control, Apple Car Play etc.

Pretty sure I can find a used car with cruise control....

Sure, but you get a lot more choice with a new car.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps.

I've got far more than I will ever spend. Corse I[m not unemployable.

Most aren't like that, go look up the average wage.

Irrelevant to what makes sense for me to do.

Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's
worth £20,000 in a few years. WTF?

I used the Golf for 45 years from new. That's peanuts per year.

And if you'd bought it used, you would have halved that cost.

And the only effect that would have is whoever inherits
what I end up with ends up with a little less. And they
are just as well off as I am. In fact one of them's mother
is even even more rolling in it than I am.

The Getz is 12 years old and only lacks cruise control and
fancy automatic door mirrors and fully integrated cameras
etc and doesn't drive itself.

Up there you said cruise control was "useful stuff".

So ?

Come on, nobody buys a tiny little car if they can afford a big one.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.
It's the same size as yours. Yours is just a bit taller for no good reason.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:53:20 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Her birthday isn't celebrated over here, so why in Australia?

By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable.

It does see a much higher accident rate.
One of the garage salers managed to
drive right thru the ****ing fence at
home when he drove home ****ed.

That's a myth made up by the government.

Nope, trivially measurable.

All it does to me is make me feel happier.

Bull****. Its trivial to measure that it does a lot more than that.

It affects everyone differently. Some talk incoherently, some fall over, I do neither. In fact I can have several pints and pretend I'm sober.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No,

Yep, particularly with our highways.

if it's very congested you don't bother.

Wrong with our highways.

Then that's not congested.

Wrong, as always.

Then you haven't seen real congestion - when it's impossible to overtake..

How many ****ing caravans do you have?!

What is the ****ing point in preventing them getting the same car? They can just as easily buy a different one.

[...]

Ignore the truth if you wish, you're driving an old woman's car.

[...]

It doesn't fit anywhere else. And it's only slightly heated to stop frost.

[...]

Not 832 there isn't.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house..

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps.

I've got far more than I will ever spend. Corse I[m not unemployable..

Most aren't like that, go look up the average wage.

Irrelevant to what makes sense for me to do.

Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's
worth £20,000 in a few years. WTF?

I used the Golf for 45 years from new. That's peanuts per year.

And if you'd bought it used, you would have halved that cost.

And the only effect that would have is whoever inherits
what I end up with ends up with a little less. And they
are just as well off as I am. In fact one of them's mother
is even even more rolling in it than I am.

No, the first few years of a car's life is where all the money disappears. That part should be avoided.

The Getz is 12 years old and only lacks cruise control and
fancy automatic door mirrors and fully integrated cameras
etc and doesn't drive itself.

Up there you said cruise control was "useful stuff".

So ?

So you just bought one without it.

Come on, nobody buys a tiny little car if they can afford a big one.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.
It's the same size as yours. Yours is just a bit taller for no good reason.

A getz is ****ing tiny.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

The USA bailed GM, the UK bailed some banks. If a company isn't profitable, it should go away.
Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No idea. We don't have a bank holiday, maybe
we just renamed that one or something.

It appears to be common in the white colonys, presumably
a fad/fashion thing that stuck or something. You lot do
celebrate the stupid royals' birthday, just don't have a
public holiday for it, tho some civil servants do sort of
have it merged with the bank holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%...icial_Birthday

By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable.

It does see a much higher accident rate.
One of the garage salers managed to
drive right thru the ****ing fence at
home when he drove home ****ed.

That's a myth made up by the government.

Nope, trivially measurable.

All it does to me is make me feel happier.

Bull****. Its trivial to measure that it does a lot more than that.

It affects everyone differently.

Wrong, as always. Yes, there are a variety of effects, but
claiming every single person is different is even sillier
than you usually manage and that's saying something.

Some talk incoherently, some fall over, I do neither.

Depends on how much your drink. Even you will fall
over eventually, that's the reason for the term 'legless'

In fact I can have several pints and pretend I'm sober.

Yes, the amount you need to drink before you have
any visible effects does vary, but even you will have
visible effects if you drink enough. And trivially
measurable effects on your reaction time and
your ability to work complex things out as quickly.

And yes, many asians, particularly the chinese and japs
do get ****ed rather more quickly than caucasians etc.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No,

Yep, particularly with our highways.

if it's very congested you don't bother.

Wrong with our highways.

Then that's not congested.

Wrong, as always.

Then you haven't seen real congestion - when it's impossible to overtake.

Wrong, as always. Try Sydney in the rush hour sometime.

It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks
they
should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

In our case it's the caravans and RVs being overtaken.

Why can't people in slow vehicles pull over regularly to let people
past?

Doesn't help with the volume of traffic on those holidays.

How many ****ing caravans do you have?!

A hell of a lot at those time, and if you pull over to let some cars pass,
you have a hell of a problem getting back into the traffic flow again
because of the volume of traffic passing at 100kmph.

[...]

That's their beloved creation, stupid.

They can just as easily buy a different one.

They can't actually given how much it costs to do that.

And that is a fine that they can't just make an obscene gesture
in the general direction of unless they want to walk.

[...]

Yours is the same car, just a little taller.

[...]

It doesn't fit anywhere else.

Stupid to be storing that much paint anywhere
if you have to heat the garage to stop it freezing.

And it's only slightly heated to stop frost.

Still a stupid waste of money.

[...]

Corse there is with all the choice of options. That stupid car
of yours has a dozen ****ing engines to choose from alone.

[...]

Wrong, as always with that stupid all.

That part should be avoided.

Don't need to, but then I'm not an unemployable pov.

The Getz is 12 years old and only lacks cruise control and
fancy automatic door mirrors and fully integrated cameras
etc and doesn't drive itself.

Up there you said cruise control was "useful stuff".

So ?

So you just bought one without it.

No just about it, that was 12 years ago.

Come on, nobody buys a tiny little car if they can afford a big one.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.
It's the same size as yours. Yours is just a bit taller for no good
reason.

A getz is ****ing tiny.

Yours is the same size, just a little taller for no good reason.

Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

The USA bailed GM,

And Ford, and Chrysler.

the UK bailed some banks.

And the USA bailed out Fanny Mai and Freddy Mac.

If a company isn't profitable, it should go away.

That was the approach taken in the Great Depression
and the result was that that lasted almost 10 years
until WW2 got the economy going again. No thanks.