Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gently removing paint

Hi All

As posted on another thread I am trying to fix my paint sprayer. I have now managed to remove the valve and it has a fair amount of dried gloss paint on it. The valve is metal and has a couple of rubber seals embedded on the body. I have tried white spirit to clean it and also soaked it over night but no difference. Anyone have any ideas as to a gentle way of removing the paint without damaging the rubber seals?

Thanks in advance

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To be honest, not sure what type it is. Will either damage the rubber? Tried acetone to clean a rubberised remote control the other day and it seemed to slightly melt it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 August 2018 08:14:25 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All

As posted on another thread I am trying to fix my paint sprayer. I have now managed to remove the valve and it has a fair amount of dried gloss paint on it. The valve is metal and has a couple of rubber seals embedded on the body. I have tried white spirit to clean it and also soaked it over night but no difference. Anyone have any ideas as to a gentle way of removing the paint without damaging the rubber seals?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

methylene chloride is the usual stuff. The vapour is toxic. Lime paste is another approach.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does it go by a product name rather than Methylene chloride? Just googling it seems to bring up Methylene chloride free strippers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just thought... Would dabbing some Nitromors work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 August 2018 09:59:55 UTC+1, wrote:
Does it go by a product name rather than Methylene chloride? Just googling it seems to bring up Methylene chloride free strippers.

try amazon/ebay

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/18 12:29, Martin Brown wrote:
On 31/08/2018 08:14, wrote:
Hi All

As posted on another thread I am trying to fix my paint sprayer. I
have now managed to remove the valve and it has a fair amount of
dried gloss paint on it. The valve is metal and has a couple of
rubber seals embedded on the body. I have tried white spirit to clean
it and also soaked it over night but no difference. Anyone have any
ideas as to a gentle way of removing the paint without damaging the
rubber seals?

There are no gentle ways that will get gloss paint after it has fully
cured and polymerised. You might try various organic solvents and
various amounts of scrubbing, scraping or mechanical abrasion.

The solvents that might work will possibly damage the rubber seals
(assuming they are not made of Viton). Genkleen (a now banned
Trichloroethane) would be my first choice as more gentle but failing
that methylene chloride (still I think sold as a solvent glue for
Perspex) and formerly as aggresive chemical paint stripper.

Another option might be drain cleaner strength caustic although this
will spell doom for any aluminium parts the spray head might contain.

All the things that will shift long dried gloss require the right PPE.

Brake fluid might work. It tends to attack paint but is used with
rubber seals.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2018 08:14, wrote:
[...]

Brake fluid might work.Â* It tends to attack paint but is used with
rubber seals.

Yes, normal glycol based brake fluid (DOT3, DOT4) is fine with most
rubbers but I'm not convinced that it will tackle old gloss paint. A
safe and easy thing to try, though.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2018 12:29, Martin Brown wrote:
On 31/08/2018 08:14, wrote:
[...]

I didn't think Genclene would touch gloss paint, methylene chloride
would be my first thought. (Old-style Nitromors). That's aggressive to
everything up to and including Viton, only Kalrez survives it according
to this:

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4

But I'd think you need to remove and replace the O rings anyway, as they
are likely to be gummed up with dried paint.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2018 15:14, newshound wrote:
On 31/08/2018 12:29, Martin Brown wrote:

The solvents that might work will possibly damage the rubber seals
(assuming they are not made of Viton). Genkleen (a now banned
Trichloroethane) would be my first choice as more gentle but failing
that methylene chloride (still I think sold as a solvent glue for
Perspex) and formerly as aggresive chemical paint stripper.

Another option might be drain cleaner strength caustic although this
will spell doom for any aluminium parts the spray head might contain.

All the things that will shift long dried gloss require the right PPE.

I didn't think Genclene would touch gloss paint,

My recollection is that it wrinkles the surface and softens it enough
that a plastic dishscrubber will get it off. Long time since I had any.

methylene chloride
would be my first thought. (Old-style Nitromors). That's aggressive to
everything up to and including Viton, only Kalrez survives it according
to this:

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4

But I'd think you need to remove and replace the O rings anyway, as they
are likely to be gummed up with dried paint.

Moral of story is always clean your tools carefully after use.

Even more important with the epoxy paints - nothing shifts that stuff
once it has cured except perhaps grit blasting and angle grinder.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 August 2018 15:24:53 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

Moral of story is always clean your tools carefully after use.

Even more important with the epoxy paints - nothing shifts that stuff
once it has cured except perhaps grit blasting and angle grinder.

several things shift epoxy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So oddly enough I have now got most of it off with WD40 and a scourer !!! It is now at least vaguely working. Thanks all for your suggey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry not sure what happened there. That should have said thanks all for your suggestions