Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Hedge Trimmer Recommendations

On 03/08/2018 14:06, Ermin wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 12:48:08 +0000, David wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 07:40:57 +0100, TheChief wrote:

Hi Fellow URGlers

Yes I know this stuff can be googled but am after real world opinion!

I have a mixed row of hedging comprising cotoneaster, escallonia,
eleagnus, photinia and ceanothus.
The height is around 2.5m and length about 20m, more of a run of
shrubs being treated as a hedge.

I have the Lidl long reach one with hedge trimmer and small chain saw.

I have a similar thing. I use the hedge trimmer part of it for a similar
height hedge (but a much longer run) but now get someone in once a year
to trim the top growth off. They are very good for faces but not
particular good for tops as they can be difficult to balance properly.

When younger I'd happily use a platform to do the top of the hedges but
am no longer so comfortable doing so hence its safer for me to get
someone else to do the top.

Cutting the face is much easier with a long reach as there is far less
bending and stretching to do.

I'd advise seeing if you can have a trial session with your shortlisted
ones (long reach or otherwise) and see how you get on before finalising
purchase. It may even be worth a hire cost to start with. One thing -
don't bother with a battery one.

(cross-posted)

I gather battery tools have improved vastly over the last few years.

Any comments from DIY land?

And
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/18 21:53, Vir Campestris wrote:

(cross-posted)

I gather battery tools have improved vastly over the last few years.

Any comments from DIY land?

And

I have the 36V Bosch and it's very good.

Sharpening a hedge trimmer: recommendations? Another John UK diy 8 July 26th 10 09:07 PM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM
Troubleshooting help for Deere 172 Gas Hedge Trimmer? Joe S Home Repair 0 March 3rd 05 02:51 PM
broken switch on a bosch hedge-trimmer billy Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 10:37 PM