Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lamp power supply

I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 09:19, R D S wrote:
I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

If it says what it supplies, then just use something with the same
voltage and at least the same current.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 09:19, R D S wrote:
I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

Depends. It may want a constant voltage or constant current supply.
What's the make/model? Failing that, does it have a user-replaceable
"bulb" and if so of what sort?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 09:19:30 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

LEDs are driven constant current, warts are mostly constant voltage. But it is more complex than that of course. What _exactly_ are the wart's output specs? What voltage does a multimeter say it's giving?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So if you know the rating of the one that was supplied by implication any
other should do the job. as always, voltage, polarity current drain and
starting drain are the most important aspects to consider.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
news
I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bit late if its popped its cloggs. Actually I've noticed some lamps sold as
task lights have an Led lamp which has a constant current drive in it and
has a nominal input voltage of 5 volts at quite a fair current.
I imagine very much it depends on the bulb and where the constant current
bit is.
Its a little odd to find a wall wart permanently connected if its just a
standard one so I'd be a little wary myself.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
On Thursday, 12 July 2018 09:19:30 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed
in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

LEDs are driven constant current, warts are mostly constant voltage. But
it is more complex than that of course. What _exactly_ are the wart's
output specs? What voltage does a multimeter say it's giving?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 10:57:18 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

you imagine correctly for once

Its a little odd to find a wall wart permanently connected if its just a
standard one so I'd be a little wary myself.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2018 14:10, R D S wrote:
OP 24v 1.5a CV SELV

ISTM that's CV as in "constant voltage" (as opposed to CC as in
"constant current").

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

I'd say the answer is maybe. If it uses a standard PS - ie just plain AC
or DC - then probably a similar one will be OK, as the LED driver
electronics will be inside the fitting. But if it uses a wall wart with
the driver built into that, you'd need a similar replacement.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/2018 14:41, Robin wrote:
On 12/07/2018 14:10, R D S wrote:
OP 24v 1.5a CV SELV

ISTM that's CV as in "constant voltage" (as opposed to CC as in
"constant current").

I would agree with that.

It's not going to be easy to find another plug in version.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I have a LED lamp, I suspect the PSU (which is at the plug) has packed in.

Can I just snip it off and use one of the numerous similar rated wall
warts I have knocking about or do they need something specific?

IMO they are so cheap that I'd try one and see if it works fine.