Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on Phones

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:12:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 22:52:04 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:24:34 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 02:28:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:37:54 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 22:02:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:00:19 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:26:26 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

Yep but they have little choice as those phones are being
sold cheaply because they ship will all the crap on them,
just like some PCs do.
If you don't like it then buy a phone with a decent amount
of memory that's what I did.

I can buy a cheap PC with freebie **** on it, but I can
uninstall it all.

Not with all laptops you can't.

Windows never forbids you from uninstalling a program, it
doesn't have that capability.

Yes it does and some laptops use that.

Bull****. Windows can't prevent an uninstallation.

Corse it can, and does too. Try uninstalling Explorer some time.

And wipe the egg off your face.

Just a simple browser.

I wasn't talking about Internet Explorer, the other Explorer.

That's not a program,

Yes it is and you are free to use another one if you want.

that's part of the OS.

Nope.

Yes, it how you access the file system,

Doesn't mean its part of the OS.

nobody replaces that.

Plenty do because they prefer the way other apps do that.

And it doesn't take up much space anyway.

Wrong again.

I've never bought a Windows PC where the disk is already 80% full.

You've never bought a brand new PC for $30 either.

She paid a lot more than $30 for her phone.

More fool her.

Some wont even let you remove Win and replace it with linux.

Bull****, nothing prevents you formatting the hard disk.

Wrong with some bios.

You're just making things up now.

Nope, trivial to google.

Just tried a few searches, the closest thing I could find were
BIOSes that only allowed Windows.

Which is what I said, it wont allow you to use anything else.

That's Linux's fault for not supporting the hardware.

We arent talking about not supporting the hardware, we are talking
about a bios that doesn't allow any other OS to be INSTALLED.

BIOSes don't do that.

Yes they do.

Show me proof of this absurdity.

Google it yourself.

You made up the bull****,

Nope, rubbed your nose in the facts, as always.

YOU prove it.

Google it yourself.

But didn't stop you wiping it and putting a clean Windows on.

But does stop you installing Linux etc.

And how was she to know that the 8GB (which is plentiful
for the 5 apps she wanted to download) would be full up
with ****?

Same way you know about anything like that, do some research
before buying a product or if you are too lazy to do that,
buy it
from an operation that allows you to return it for a full
refund
if it turns out that its useless for what you want to do
with it.

It's THEFT, plain and simple.

Nope, you are free to return it for a full refund if you don't
like that.

But how many will?

Irrelevant.

If hardly any do, they succeed in the theft.

There is no theft.

8GB of storage is owned by Mrs Smith, yet she only has access to
1GB of it.

Just as true of the part the OS needs. Nothing to do with theft.

The OS usually needs a small proportion, not over three quarters of
it.

The amount doesn't determine whether its theft or not.

A small amount doesn't stop you installing apps, but having only 20%
left does.

That's not theft.

The storage space belongs to the owner, and nobody else.

Still not theft.

And she is free to root the phone and remove the
crap she doesn't want on the phone, but then she
wont be able to do android/google pay with it.

Like anybody knows how to do that.

Trivial to use google and see how to do that.

I'm fully competent with computers but I wouldn't attempt a phone root.

More fool you, its very easy to do.

I have very little interest in using phones as anything other than a
device for making calls and texts.

More fool you.

I use a desktop for the internet.

Works REAL well when you need to look up something
when out of the house. And when getting directions to
somewhere you need to go etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Ozzietard Alert!

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 05:41:40 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Works REAL well when you need to look up something
when out of the house. And when getting directions to
somewhere you need to go etc etc etc.

....and sending all your data to Google and having it stored there to all
eternity, you brain dead senile cretin!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 19:29:10 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:47:00 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 22:00:24 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 21:22:36 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 20:32:09 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 00:09:21 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 21:49:06 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:50:09 +0100, Bob Eager

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 07:26:26 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

Try starting up a PC from an SD card then I dare you, a
raspeberry Pis
are OK and they still need a relatively fast card.

I've done it from a CF card. A lot.

A USB memory stick is faster than a hard disk.

Nope. I put the movies I download for the back neighbours on
USB sticks because they have no broadband or dialup and its
much slower to do that than to move them between hard drives.

That's why Windows Vista onwards allows you to boost the RAM
with it.

Utterly mangled all over again.

So M$ were lying?

No, MS never said it would be at the same speed as normal ram
and
it
isnt.

That's not what I claimed, I'm talking about it being faster than
the
hard disk.

It isnt that either. The back neighbours get me to download
movies for them because they don't have wired broadband,
only the 4G service which is much more expensive and they
don't know how to torrent anyway, so I give them the movies
on USB sticks. Those are much slower than my hard drives.

In the absence of the USB stick, more pagefile on the hard disk
would be used instead.

And that would be fast on the hard drive.

But anyone with half a clue has enough physical
ram so it never uses the pagefile for anything much.

So what was the point in M$ providing the feature of using your USB
stick as extra memory?

It's a cheap, better than nothing approach. 8GB of physical ram cost
me
$65 and
that's used ram, new price is $120. A 32GB usb3 stick is only $16,
but
is much slower.

My point is that the USB stick is faster than the hard disk,

They aren't always and it depends on the formatting.

otherwise
there's no point in using it as RAM, as the hard disk already has a
swapfile.

People don;t use sticks as RAM unless they have a really slow machine.

Microsoft invented the programming so you could use it as RAM,

Nope.

Yes, why else would they have designed it?

so they must have decided it was faster than a hard disk for a page
file.

Nope. That's for those that can't as easily have a faster hard drive.

It can still be a lot faster than a lot of hard drives.

Remember, we're talking about seek times aswell as transfer rates.

Not with a page file.

Are you ****ing serious?! A page file is VERY likely to need access to
multiple parts of the storage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

because their OS is **** and takes more memory than most might have so to get around it that do readyboot, why hasn't this function go into windows 8 & 10
Vista was the first to use it but vista was crap anyway.
Plenty of reports of it not working in W10

so they must have decided it was faster than a hard disk for a page
file.

Nope. That's for those that can't as easily have a faster hard drive.

It can still be a lot faster than a lot of hard drives.

Only if the hard discs are 20 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 08:15:33 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave, the notorious
troll-feeding senile idiot, blabbered again:

because their OS is ****

But you LOVE ****, or why would you be feeding this piece of ****, senile
idiot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

For those who couldn't add more physical ram
easily and for the 32 bit OSs that couldn't use
it even if more physical ram was added.

so they must have decided it was faster than a hard disk for a page
file.

Nope. That's for those that can't as easily have a faster hard drive.

It can still be a lot faster than a lot of hard drives.

Nope.

Remember, we're talking about seek times aswell as transfer rates.

Not with a page file.

Are you ****ing serious?!

Yep.

A page file is VERY likely to need access to multiple parts of the
storage.

Yes, but doesn't need access to the FAT, it does direct access to the right
bit of the page file, so only one seek and in practice that's fast enough to
not matter anymore given how much seeking the heads are already doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 05:25:26 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

FLUSH the two abnormal idiots' usual sick ****

So for how many more months are you STILL going to go on like that you
disgusting cretins?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 19:31:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:54:14 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 22 June 2018 20:08:17 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 10:54:43 +0100, whisky-dave

wrote:

On Friday, 15 June 2018 20:02:47 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

or take the phone back and say it;s faulty

And get told that it isnt.

Why isn't it faulty if the software is jammed in memory

Thats not a fault, thats by design, ****wit.

So don;t buy a phone with those design features simple.

It's an invalid feature when something you buy and own is taken over
by
something you don't need or want. Imagine a car with a person sat in
the
passenger seat so you couldn't use it.

Is that the sort of car you've brought then ?
I wouldn't, so why did you ?

I would pay extra for not having a passenger in my car 24/7 wouldn't
you, no it seems you wouldn't, ya pays ya money and make ya choice.

No, there is no choice with cars, as car manufacturers don't rip people
off like phone companies.

They also dont sell you a brand new car for $30 either.

All cars allow you to use all the seats.

But dont even allow you to add any new apps to the control system.

Anyone can upgrade their car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 19:33:28 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 03:46:57 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:33:42 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 02:34:06 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 20:05:51 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 22:05:30 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:18:56 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Try starting up a PC from an SD card then I dare you, a
raspeberry Pis are OK and they still need a relatively
fast card.

I've done it from a CF card. A lot.

But its a lot slower than from the internal SSD with a PC.

Phones don't have SSDs. They have flash memory similar to
the SD card.

That was discussing PCs, not phones.

I was talking about the point of having an app on a phone on
internal or external memory.

You dont figure in that sub thread I commented on.

Huh?

Thats proven by the attributions above.

I don't know what the **** you're on about,

That you dont appear at all in this SUB THREAD.

The phrase "Jimmy Wilkinson" is present 4 times above.

Only after you jumped in and kept going on about
what wasnt being discussed in this sub thread.

but I'm talking about why an app should go on internal or external
phone memory, both of which are flash memory.

And this SUB THREAD isnt discussing that.

Changing the goalposts doesn't help your argument.

No goalposts have changed, your comment was
always irrelevant to this sub thread and you keep
furiously digging when your nose was rubbed in that.;

No, you changed the topic to suit yourself.

Everyone can see that I changed nothing.

Where "everyone" is the only two people who read your posts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But not add new apps to the control system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 03:01:49 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

Anyone can upgrade their car.

But not add new apps to the control system.

BOTH of you endlessly driveling idiots need a brain upgrade!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2020 20:41, wrote:
I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time

Oh no! A homophobic phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Richard" wrote in message
On 09/01/2020 20:41,
wrote:
I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time

Oh no! A homophobic phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant €straight€¯ now being used to define sexuality. Could be
wrong though...

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 January 2020 05:54:04 UTC, Richard wrote:
On 09/01/2020 20:41, wrote:
I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time

Oh no! A homophobic phone.

Well all mobiles are sexist, I've only ever seen them with sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant ”straight• now being used to define sexuality. Could
be wrong though...

Also used by addicts to denote those who aren't.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant €¯straight€¢ now being used to define sexuality. Could
be wrong though...

Also used by addicts to denote those who aren't.

And cigarettes that don't contain cannabis.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant €¯straight€¢ now being used to define sexuality. Could
be wrong though...

Also used by addicts to denote those who aren't.

And cigarettes that don't contain cannabis.

And things that arent bent. Sorry, I mean curved. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2020 21:16, Tim+ wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant €¯straight€¢ now being used to define sexuality. Could
be wrong though...

Also used by addicts to denote those who aren't.

And cigarettes that don't contain cannabis.

And things that arent bent. Sorry, I mean curved. ;-)

Tim

Don't mention "bent"

My wife's parents were both Irish and she spent a lot of time in Ireland
(even moving over there for a while). For her, "bent" means nothing more
than "behaving oddly", "twisted" or "weird" (just like "faggot" in
Fairytale of New York means no more than "lazy good-for-nothing") and
she uses it all the time to comment about people in news articles who
have targetted vulnerable people and the like. Our sons naturally have
picked up this language.

Just before Christmas, we contacted our eldest son's school to inform
them that another pupil had been harassing him for weeks; had, as part
of this, trodden on his heels, causing him to walk out of his shoe and
get a very wet foot, just as he was going from school to work and when
our son told him to "**** off you bent *******," he assaulted him. He
assaulted him again the next day as well, causing sprains, soft-tissue
injuries and two fractures to his fingers.

The school "punished" the other pupil by excluding him for 4 days
(nicely adding to the Christmas holidays for him!) They then went out of
their way to ensure everyone knew that we had reported it (i.e. our son
had "grassed him up"), by calling us in and sitting us in reception to
wait, just as his entire year came past to begin their break and then
walking us through the canteen that they were using; and to shift blame
onto him and punish him for using "homophobic" language - despite it
being his cultural norm that "bent" has no sexual connotations.

We are fuming.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2020 22:44:15, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

On 09/01/2020 20:41, wrote:
I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time

Oh no! A homophobic phone.

Well all mobiles are sexist, I've only ever seen them with sockets.

Most mobiles have On-The-Go capability so can be either host or device.

Can't quite work out if that makes them non-binary, bi-sexual or pan-sexual.

Hermaphrodite.

Are you referring to a gay or bi/pan sexual man? Isn't there a
hermaphroditic aspect to gay sex?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2020 20:41, wrote:
I've been using a Straight Talk Android 4G LTE phone the entire time

Oh no! A homophobic phone.

Well all mobiles are sexist, I've only ever seen them with sockets.

Most mobiles have On-The-Go capability so can be either host or
device.

Can't quite work out if that makes them non-binary, bi-sexual or
pan-sexual.

Hermaphrodite.

Are you referring to a gay or bi/pan sexual man? Isn't there a
hermaphroditic aspect to gay sex?

No. It is a reproductive rather than behavioural term.

You might think so, but I come across a number of connectors that are
termed hermaphroditic that certainly haven't the means to reproduce.

This article assists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...r maphroditic)

"Alternative names include hermaphrodite, androgynous, genderless,
sexless, combination (or combo), two-in-one, two-way, and other
descriptive terms. Several of these latter alternate names are ambiguous
in meaning, and should not be used unless carefully defined in context."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2020 22:59, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/01/2020 21:16, Tim+ wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

You haven't clarified whether the excluded pupil is queer or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
No. It is a reproductive rather than behavioural term.

You might think so, but I come across a number of connectors that are
termed hermaphroditic that certainly haven't the means to reproduce.

This article assists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...r maphroditic)

"Alternative names include hermaphrodite, androgynous, genderless,
sexless, combination (or combo), two-in-one, two-way, and other
descriptive terms. Several of these latter alternate names are ambiguous
in meaning, and should not be used unless carefully defined in context."

All of those could be applied to both heterosexuals and homosexuals.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 January 2020 21:16:14 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 10/01/2020 08:31:55, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
That's another word I don't like being repurposed.
Brian

Homophobic? Has it meant something different in a previous life?

I assumed he meant €¯straight€¢ now being used to define sexuality. Could
be wrong though...

Also used by addicts to denote those who aren't.

And cigarettes that don't contain cannabis.

And things that arent bent.

525 , as in a crossword clue.

Sorry, I mean curved. ;-)

Tim