DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homebase (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/611579-homebase.html)

JoeJoe May 25th 18 08:48 AM

Homebase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 25th 18 09:13 AM

Homebase

JoeJoe expressed precisely :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Nope, they have been a mess for years...

For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable
lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP,
available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor. BP pulled out, Macgas
bought the rights, since when access to the bottles has been
'difficult' with so very few stockists. That is except for Homebase.
Homebase put in a policy of only swapping bottles, if you had bought
the original deposit from them and could produce the original receipt,
even then the swap cost was over £32 when with difficulty it could be
found from other sources for £24-50, but well scattered.

Last year Homebase dropped the requirement for the original bottle
receipt and dropped the price to a much more reasonable £27-50. This
year they ramped the price up to a whopping £41-99. I managed to find a
stockist selling for £27-50 50 miles away, then a much more local
supplier willing to source the gas and deliver it to home for £27-00,
who is to deliver later today.

JoeJoe May 25th 18 09:42 AM

Homebase

On 25/05/2018 08:48, JoeJoe wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

The only thing I can think of are the bonuses the investment bankers who
advised them on the deal got as a result ;-)

tim... May 25th 18 10:15 AM

Homebase

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Only this week did I receive junk though my door telling me my local
Homebase was now Bunnings

Anyhow, this was just a complete failure of market research.

they could have just done nothing for 24 months whilst they sussed out what
Homebase's customers bought rather than jumping in and modifying the shops
as soon as they got them, and been financially much better off than now

Rod Speed May 25th 18 10:17 AM

Homebase

JoeJoe wrote
JoeJoe wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

The only thing I can think of are the bonuses the investment bankers who
advised them on the deal got as a result ;-)

Wesfarmers dont use investment bankers.

They do their own ****ups.

DC[_6_] May 25th 18 11:30 AM

Homebase

On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:13:07 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable
lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP,
available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor.

I've just got one of these for the caravan & also use it on the patio for
the BBQ.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

£160 investment for the 10Kg, but I own it & the initial fill was the grand
sum of £9 for about 16.5l. A third of the cost of a Calor 6Kg exchange, for
50% more gas in a comparable cylinder footprint.

Robin May 25th 18 11:54 AM

Homebase

On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:13:07 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable
lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP,
available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor.

I've just got one of these for the caravan & also use it on the patio for
the BBQ.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

£160 investment for the 10Kg, but I own it & the initial fill was the grand
sum of £9 for about 16.5l. A third of the cost of a Calor 6Kg exchange, for
50% more gas in a comparable cylinder footprint.

Their site shows not a single Safefill filling retailer within the M25 -
nor anywhere near it. Seems to me rather odd.

--
Robin

Fredxx[_3_] May 25th 18 12:14 PM

Homebase

On 25/05/2018 11:54, Robin wrote:
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:13:07 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable
lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP,
available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor.

I've just got one of these for the caravan & also use it on the patio for
the BBQ.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

£160 investment for the 10Kg, but I own it & the initial fill was the
grand
sum of £9 for about 16.5l. A third of the cost of a Calor 6Kg
exchange, for
50% more gas in a comparable cylinder footprint.

Their site shows not a single Safefill filling retailer within the M25 -
nor anywhere near it.Â* Seems to me rather odd.

And the smaller cylinders out of stock in the whole of England and Scotland.

Perhaps they take the deposit and runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

How much longer are they staying in business!

tim... May 25th 18 01:19 PM

Homebase

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 May 2018 10:15:49 +0100, tim... wrote:

they could have just done nothing for 24 months

By which time, there'd be nothing left.

obviously they would have restocked as stuff sold

what I meant was they shouldn't have changed the product mix without first
finding out which products sold

tim

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 25th 18 01:36 PM

Homebase

Robin wrote :
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:13:07 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable
lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP,
available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor.

I've just got one of these for the caravan & also use it on the patio for
the BBQ.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

£160 investment for the 10Kg, but I own it & the initial fill was the grand
sum of £9 for about 16.5l. A third of the cost of a Calor 6Kg exchange, for
50% more gas in a comparable cylinder footprint.

Their site shows not a single Safefill filling retailer within the M25 - nor
anywhere near it. Seems to me rather odd.

I think the Safefill system means you can fill up at any petrol station
which has an LPG pump outlet.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 25th 18 01:46 PM

Homebase

It happens that tim... formulated :
obviously they would have restocked as stuff sold

what I meant was they shouldn't have changed the product mix without first
finding out which products sold

He was overkeen to put his own stamp on it, just as quickly as
possible. Like a kid with a new toy.

tim... May 25th 18 02:55 PM

Homebase

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
It happens that tim... formulated :
obviously they would have restocked as stuff sold

what I meant was they shouldn't have changed the product mix without
first finding out which products sold

He was overkeen to put his own stamp on it, just as quickly as possible.
Like a kid with a new toy.

that was a 300 million pound discarded new toy

tim

Robin May 25th 18 02:58 PM

Homebase

On 25/05/2018 13:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Robin wrote :
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
[...]

Not in practice. From the Safefill site: "LPG is now available on many
petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about
people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of
these..."

--
Robin

Brian Gaff May 25th 18 03:30 PM

Homebase

Yes well to be honest any of us could have made a better job of it I'd have
thought. Too much arrogance and not enough research.

I'm not sure they should get anything from a future sale aas they will have
been directly responsible for loads of job losses and loss of trust by the
public.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
o.uk...

[email protected] May 25th 18 04:10 PM

Homebase

Robin wrote :
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
[...]

what's illegal about it?

NT

Fredxx[_3_] May 25th 18 04:19 PM

Homebase

Robin wrote :
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:
[...]

I assume that most bottle hire agreements, where you don't own the
bottle, say you can't refill their bottle. Usually on a contractual
basis as well as safety.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 25th 18 05:35 PM

Homebase

Fredxx brought next idea :
I assume that most bottle hire agreements, where you don't own the bottle,
say you can't refill their bottle. Usually on a contractual basis as well as
safety.

Refillable designs include an over filling preventer, the none
refillable types do not. For safety, the fill needs to be limited so as
to allow some gas space above the liquid level.

Another Dave May 25th 18 05:52 PM

Homebase

On 25/05/18 15:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes well to be honest any of us could have made a better job of it I'd have
thought. Too much arrogance and not enough research.

My son-in-law was an area manager for them and, before that, Homebase.
He spent most of 2017 trying to prevent them selling barbecues in
February and not to refer to things being "tit high" amongst other wonders.

They made him redundant the week before Christmas. He's got another,
better job now.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

DC[_6_] May 25th 18 06:56 PM

Homebase

On Fri, 25 May 2018 11:54:25 +0100, Robin wrote:

Their site shows not a single Safefill filling retailer within the M25 -
nor anywhere near it. Seems to me rather odd.

Well I'm well outside the M25 & got mine from
https://www.lodgefarmleisure.com/ who have invested in a propane tank. They
sell lots of them but do struggle with getting them due to their
popularity.

You can fill these at petrol stations but some don't like it due to safety
concerns, so thay have a document for you to show at petrol stations.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/pdf/petrol-heads-up-2017.pdf

I should add they are also light, as they are plastic apart from the gas
connections. Also safe in the event of a fire, they will gracefully spring
leaks & burn off in a controlled manner.

I think it's 8 refills for ROI campared to exchange bottles.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 25th 18 08:32 PM

Homebase

After serious thinking DC wrote :
You can fill these at petrol stations but some don't like it due to safety
concerns, so thay have a document for you to show at petrol stations.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/pdf/petrol-heads-up-2017.pdf

I should add they are also light, as they are plastic apart from the gas
connections. Also safe in the event of a fire, they will gracefully spring
leaks & burn off in a controlled manner.

I think it's 8 refills for ROI campared to exchange bottles.

The absolutely identicle container to the BP Gaslight container, 5Kg
and 10Kg apart from - The BP has a green upper whereas that has red and
it has a safefill float valve built in to prevent over filling.

My full BP bottles arrive with the liquid up to the top of the upper
'window' in the white plastic. I had a fresh 10Kg delivered here as an
exchange, for the sum of £27 inc delivery - bargain compared to
Homebase's attempt to rob people.

Peter Hill[_3_] May 26th 18 12:18 AM

Homebase

On 25-May-18 8:32 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

gasit easyfill
https://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-easyf...s-bottles.html

aluminum
http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/alugas-...tles-111-c.asp
steel
http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/gaslow-...range-93-c.asp

non refillable plastic
https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas...t-lpg-cylinder

Fundamental difference between normal bottle whether metal or plastic
and refillable is the self refil ones have float shut off valve to
ensure there is 20% ullage space. But operation is very defendant on the
person filling it making sure it's upright.

FMurtz May 26th 18 03:52 AM

Homebase

JoeJoe wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a set
figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Richard[_10_] May 26th 18 06:56 AM

Homebase

On 25/05/18 10:17, Rod Speed wrote:
JoeJoe wrote
JoeJoe wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

The only thing I can think of are the bonuses the investment bankers
who advised them on the deal got as a result ;-)

Wesfarmers dont use investment bankers.

They do their own ****ups.

Ah. Proper DIY...

alan_m May 26th 18 09:19 AM

Homebase

On 26/05/2018 03:52, FMurtz wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a set
figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Judging by whats been written and seeing what they have stocked in the
local Homebase* I'm surprised that the operation in Oz hasn't gone to
the wall. There pricing wasn't competitive with the local B&Q warehouse
and they didn't seem to realise that they were only 5 minutes away were
a Screwfix and a Toolstation who advertise locally with regular letter
box leaflet drops. I see that they are blaming a lack of understanding
of UK culture and the DIY market but (IMO) in reality they just overpaid
for a failing business that the previous owners were glad to get shot of
and then ran it with incompetent management.

*My local Homebase had enough Christmas decorations at the start January
to decorate every house in a town of 200,000 people

Robin May 26th 18 09:22 AM

Homebase

On 2018-05-25, Robin wrote:
On 25/05/2018 13:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[23 lines snipped]

I think the Safefill system means you can fill up at any petrol station
which has an LPG pump outlet.

Not in practice. From the Safefill site: "LPG is now available on many
petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about
people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of
these..."

s/illegally//

I'd suggest that the cylinder owners restraint of trade is likely more
illegal than your filling them. And if it is a problem, beg/buy/steal a
cylinder from your local tip.

Thanks but no traditional cylinder will give me the weight saving
offered by Safefill and their like, and which appeals as I get ever
older/weaker.

And I think their point about "illegally" needs to be unpacked. AIUI it
is that:

a. garages have concerns about people filling rented bottles which
aren't designed for DIY filling at pumps and AIUI is illegal

b. so they play safe and decline to sell to anyone filling a bottle.

I don't see how that is restraint of trade. AFAICS it's also not
unlawful discrimination - unless someone can argue successfully it is on
the basis of a protected characteristic under the Equality Act. Now if
Safefill gave cylinders to a load of travellers and sponsored their case...

--
Robin

Jim K[_3_] May 26th 18 10:41 AM

Homebase

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Fredxx brought next idea :
I assume that most bottle hire agreements, where you don't own the bottle,
say you can't refill their bottle. Usually on a contractual basis as well as
safety.

Refillable designs include an over filling preventer, the none
refillable types do not. For safety, the fill needs to be limited so as
to allow some gas space above the liquid level.

Someone makes a non-refillable gas bottle?? Why?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Rod Speed May 26th 18 10:50 AM

Homebase

alan_m wrote
FMurtz wrote
JoeJoe wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a set
figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Judging by whats been written and seeing what they have stocked in the
local Homebase* I'm surprised that the operation in Oz hasn't gone to the
wall.

They do things differently here and have just ****ed over
the attempt at a competitor and have sent it broke.

There pricing wasn't competitive with the local B&Q warehouse

It is here, and in fact they have always offered to sell anything to you
for 10% less than any competitors price you can present them with.

And in fact currently have undercut Amazon on the Philips
Hue stuff that our Amazon has just offered, cheaper on
total price than anywhere in the entire country.

and they didn't seem to realise that they were only 5 minutes away were a
Screwfix and a Toolstation who advertise locally with regular letter box
leaflet drops.

I see that they are blaming a lack of understanding of UK culture and the
DIY market but (IMO) in reality they just overpaid for a failing business
that the previous owners were glad to get shot of and then ran it with
incompetent management.

Its more complicated than that with the profits not being there.

*My local Homebase had enough Christmas decorations at the start January
to decorate every house in a town of 200,000 people

Dont believe that.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 26th 18 10:52 AM

Homebase

Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Someone makes a non-refillable gas bottle?? Why?

--

Apart from the throw-away cartridges, they are all refillable,
including my own BP Gaslight system. The suppliers I assume, drain them

The several tanks which are designed for the user to refill, include a
float valve type to prevent them being over filled.

Me- I have two BP Gaslight bottles which use a 27mm clip on adaptor.
When one becomes empty, I seek out an exchange for a full one. Problem
the logistics - that often involves taking along a near empty one and a
fresh full bottle for when that runs out, so it would be nice to be
able to transfer the contents of say a 1/4 full bottle, into a 1/2 full
bottle. That way I would only ever need to have one bottle in my front
locker.

My system uses a 27mm clip on adaptor, connected to a regulator on a
bulk head, connected via a high pressure hose. I could connect two
bottle together with a high pressure hose, using two 27mm clip ons to
allow me to transfer, except for the fact that each clip on has a built
in one way valve which allows flow out from the cylinder, but not in.

I used to use Calor bottles, but they are expensive and being steel
they are heavy. Back in the 1970's they introduced an alloy bottle
which I bought into, then they stopped offering them. When the BP light
composite bottle arrived, I bought into them (bottle deposits are not
cheap), the refills were also cheaper than Calor.

I understand Calor did their best to kill the BP Gaslight system, by
restrictive practices. Any dealer who tried to sell BP gas, was refused
supply of Calor bottles.

Homebase sold BP, but they were uber expensive, along with just a few
independents. The BP Gaslight system was then bought by Macgas, who
continued to supply Homebase and reluctantly it seemed, the
independents. Macgas seems to have not really promoted the BP system
since they bought it, for reasons best known to themselves.

I had a fresh BP bottle delivered yesterday by an independent. He
doesn't normally stock them, but agreed to have a go at getting them.
He said he had quite a struggle getting a bottle from his supplier. He
charged me £27 - yet Homebase quoted £41-99 for the same 10Kg bottle
refill.

Macgas insist they can do nothing about how much Homebase charge. It is
a far better system than Calor's offering, potentially cheaper - it
just needs to be properly marketed and actually sort out a proper,
reliable supply network.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 26th 18 11:02 AM

Homebase

Peter Hill explained on 26/05/2018 :
non refillable plastic
https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas...t-lpg-cylinder

Thanks, I had not come across those before.

That again is identicle to my BP /Macgas Gaslight bottle, except the
blue top is green on on my bottles. I very much doubt they are 'non
refillable' the bottles are too expensive for single use.

I will make some enquiries with Macgas/Flogas.

tim... May 26th 18 11:22 AM

Homebase

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
alan_m wrote
FMurtz wrote
JoeJoe wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a set
figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Judging by whats been written and seeing what they have stocked in the
local Homebase* I'm surprised that the operation in Oz hasn't gone to the
wall.

They do things differently here

In what way.

[...]

The difference in the UK over Oz is probably that land costs in Oz for out
of town warehouses is going to be pretty much zero

whereas in the UK, it makes a huge addition to your costs base.

It's easy to compete with online if your shop space is cheap, next to
impossible if it isn't

tim

Dave Plowman (News) May 26th 18 11:47 AM

Homebase

In article ,
tim... wrote:
The difference in the UK over Oz is probably that land costs in Oz for out
of town warehouses is going to be pretty much zero

whereas in the UK, it makes a huge addition to your costs base.

I couldn't understand how Homebase has lasted as long as it has. Got
several round here and when I go to them - midweek - always empty. Unlike
the single B&Q which is merely quiet. And that is being re-developed to
bring down their standing charges like business rates.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jim K[_3_] May 26th 18 12:21 PM

Homebase

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
The difference in the UK over Oz is probably that land costs in Oz for out
of town warehouses is going to be pretty much zero

whereas in the UK, it makes a huge addition to your costs base.

I couldn't understand how Homebase has lasted as long as it has. Got
several round here and when I go to them - midweek - always empty. Unlike
the single B&Q which is merely quiet. And that is being re-developed to
bring down their standing charges like business rates.

Ah, further joys of the metropolis...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] May 26th 18 12:45 PM

Homebase

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Their incompetence is remarkable. I looked at fence posts, a good half of them were too bent & twisted for it to be possible to use them for fencing, never mind look acceptable. Yet they still wanted £6 for a very small post. I wouldn't pay £1 for them. A retailer with basic sense would skip them without hesitation, not even worth dumping at the auction.

And the reduced to clear section, which is always rather large, mostly has stock that's overpriced despite being a fraction of the price. Their steel shelving units OTOH are fairly good value. Some of the paint is so cheap I daren't even try it, the rest is overpriced.

If Bunnings is succeeding in Oz, they must have sent the halfwit brother over to run the UK chain.

NT

JoeJoe May 26th 18 01:03 PM

Homebase

JoeJoe wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a
set figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Judging by whats been written and seeing what they have stocked in the
local Homebase* I'm surprised that the operation in Oz hasn't gone to
the wall. There pricing wasn't competitive with the local B&QÂ* warehouse
and they didn't seem to realise that they were only 5 minutes away were
a Screwfix and a Toolstation who advertise locally with regular letter
box leaflet drops. I see that they are blaming a lack of understanding
of UK culture and the DIY market but (IMO) in reality they just overpaid
for a failing business that the previous owners were glad to get shot of
and then ran it with incompetent management.

*My local Homebase had enough Christmas decorations at the start January
to decorate every house in a town of 200,000 people

My impression from my last visit to Oz 5 years ago was that the Aussies
must have too much money in their pockets, with retailers making it
their mission to extract it. I am familiar with the supermarket
situation there that clearly results in much higher grocery prices, but
it seemed to stretch to pretty much everything else as well.

I can still recall driving in Queensland for 2/3 days with nothing but
pineapple fields on either side of the road, clearly just about ready
for harvesting, and stretching as far as the eye could see. We went into
a Coles during one of our stops and were amazed to see that they were
selling them at £3 each...

harry May 26th 18 06:01 PM

Homebase

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 10:18:18 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Fredxx brought next idea :
I assume that most bottle hire agreements, where you don't own the bottle,
say you can't refill their bottle. Usually on a contractual basis as well as
safety.

Refillable designs include an over filling preventer, the none
refillable types do not. For safety, the fill needs to be limited so as
to allow some gas space above the liquid level.

Someone makes a non-refillable gas bottle?? Why?
--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campin...d_availability

Thin tinplate cylinder pierced for use.
Used in small stoves and lanterns.

Rod Speed May 26th 18 08:01 PM

Homebase

tim... wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alan_m wrote
FMurtz wrote
JoeJoe wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409

It was never going to end up well.

Good I hate Bunnings, they cancelled my account when they took over my
hardware chain in Australia because I did not always buy more than a
set figure per month, I have not been in there since.

Judging by whats been written and seeing what they have stocked in the
local Homebase* I'm surprised that the operation in Oz hasn't gone to
the wall.

They do things differently here

In what way.

In the way I mentioned next and the price undercutting after that.

and have just ****ed over the attempt at a competitor and have sent it
broke.

That was the Masters chain attempted by Woolworths.

[...]

Nope, and out of town warehouses arent viable, they have to be
on the main transport hubs so the semis, what you lot call HGVs.
can move the stuff to the actual stores every day. The last thing
any operation needs is massive warehouses full of stuff that
isnt in front of customers for them to buy.

Amazon has just setup theirs in Melbourne late last year
and is now doing another in Sydney and neither of them
are out of town. And Amazon knows warehousing much
better than anyone else does. And even the out of town
land is anything even remotely like zero. And the cost of
the land for the warehouse isnt a major part of the costs
for an operation like Bunnings anyway.

whereas in the UK, it makes a huge addition to your costs base.

It is here too. Sydney industrial land where there is
decent road access isnt much cheaper than in Britain.

None of those operations or supermarkets use rail freight much at all.

It's easy to compete with online if your shop space is cheap, next to
impossible if it isn't

It isnt anything remotely like cheap in Sydney or Melbourne or
the other state capitals and thats where most of the population is.

Peter Hill[_3_] May 26th 18 09:11 PM

Homebase

On 26-May-18 11:02 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Peter Hill explained on 26/05/2018 :
non refillable plastic
https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas...t-lpg-cylinder

Thanks, I had not come across those before.

That again is identicle to my BP /Macgas Gaslight bottle, except the
blue top is green on on my bottles. I very much doubt they are 'non
refillable' the bottles are too expensive for single use.

I will make some enquiries with Macgas/Flogas.

None "user" refillable like a steel calor bottle. Calor refill them.
Flogas refill these.

As they are translucent you may be able to see the level. LPG needs 20%
ulage space.

Pol to LPG autogas adapters are under £30 on E-bay.

Rod Speed May 26th 18 09:56 PM

Homebase

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Thats bull****.

but it seemed to stretch to pretty much everything else as well.

Nope, most obviously with phones, cars, houses etc.

I can still recall driving in Queensland for 2/3 days with nothing but
pineapple fields on either side of the road,

Fantasy. Give us the goggle map reference where that's the case.

clearly just about ready for harvesting, and stretching as far as the eye
could see.

Thats not the same as all you can see for 2/3 days driving at 100KM/h

We went into a Coles during one of our stops and were amazed to see that
they were selling them at £3 each...

Pity about
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-nation...eapple-topless

Thats half your claim. And its now winter here, the off season.

Dave Plowman (News) May 27th 18 11:36 AM

Homebase

tim... wrote:
The difference in the UK over Oz is probably that land costs in Oz for out
of town warehouses is going to be pretty much zero

whereas in the UK, it makes a huge addition to your costs base.

I couldn't understand how Homebase has lasted as long as it has. Got
several round here and when I go to them - midweek - always empty. Unlike
the single B&Q which is merely quiet. And that is being re-developed to
bring down their standing charges like business rates.

Ah, further joys of the metropolis...

No business can survive without trade even in the sticks. But in a large
town you have more chance of that business locally. If you are selling
what people want.

B&Q closed a number of local branches over the years. Homebase didn't -
but also seemed to have less customers. The two ain't compatible.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.