Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vent fan for new half bath construction.

new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is to remove noxious
smell from doing #2. Air vent would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1284085-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/18 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

yes

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Raleigh" m wrote in
message ...
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is to remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air vent would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1284085-.htm

ventilation ducts must be smooth .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 April 2018 18:14:12 UTC+1, Jimbo in Hawick ... wrote:
ventilation ducts must be smooth .....

And have provision for condensation drain if required

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 28 April 2018 18:14:12 UTC+1, Jimbo in Hawick ... wrote:
ventilation ducts must be smooth .....

And have provision for condensation drain if required

Owain

very true... very true .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/04/18 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

yes

The snag is that in many years time somebody may reconnect a boiler to
the chimney, and somebody taking a bath will get poisoned. That's not
likely in the foreseeable future, but after the house has changed hands
a couple of times ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Raleigh m Wrote
in message:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is to remove noxious
smell from doing #2. Air vent would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1284085-.htm

Does HOH charge by the word?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/18 19:07, GB wrote:
On 28/04/18 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old
oil furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

yes

The snag is that in many years time somebody may reconnect a boiler to
the chimney, and somebody taking a bath will get poisoned. That's not
likely in the foreseeable future, but after the house has changed hands
a couple of times ....

2 thoughts:

1) Any boiler installer would line the chimney as standard;

2) The *real* purpose of a bathroom fan is to keep humidity and damp
under control which means it will be dumping a lot of warm most air into
a cold chimney which will condense before it gets anywhere.

I would advise against it unless the OP sticks ducting in the chimney
with a properly drained condensate trap at the lowest point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2018 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2018 09:25, Muddymike wrote:
On 28/04/2018 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

Yes; wouldn't all the water run out?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/30/2018 4:25 AM, Muddymike wrote:
On 28/04/2018 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

Common in the US for a small room with a toilet and sink. Also called a
'powder room'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-04-30, Max Demian wrote:
On 30/04/2018 09:25, Muddymike wrote:
On 28/04/2018 17:44, Raleigh wrote:
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to
chimney.
Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is toÂ* remove
noxious
smell from doing #2. Air ventÂ* would be 5 inches from chimney. Old oil
furnace
port capped on chimney 30 years ago in basement 5 feet under new half
bath.
Can I vent into chimney.

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

Yes; wouldn't all the water run out?

half bath

noun

NORTH AMERICAN
a room in a private home that contains a toilet and washbasin but no
bath or shower.

"if it's just a half bath for guests, a nice sink, a sturdy toilet,
and a decorative towel rack will do"

I thought the Yanks called it the (equally daft) "Restroom". What's
wrong with calling a toilet a toilet?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

I think it's leftpondian for a bog and a basin ... e.g. such as we'd use
in a downstairs loo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/30/2018 6:32 AM, Muddymike wrote:

I thought the Yanks called it the (equally daft) "Restroom". What's
wrong with calling a toilet a toilet?

'Restroom' is more often used for toilets in restaurants, schools, and
similar locations.
In a home it's typically referred to as a 'bathroom', whether or not it
contains a bath (or shower). I've even heard the toilet facilities on
planes referred to as bathrooms...
Emptying one's bowels is often called 'going to the bathroom'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/18 12:23, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/30/2018 6:32 AM, Muddymike wrote:

I thought the Yanks called it the (equally daft) "Restroom". What's
wrong with calling a toilet a toilet?

'Restroom' is more often used for toilets in restaurants, schools, and
similar locations.
In a home it's typically referred to as a 'bathroom', whether or not it
contains a bath (or shower).Â* I've even heard the toilet facilities on
planes referred to as bathrooms...
Emptying one's bowels is often called 'going to the bathroom'.

No, its called going to the bog, or sitting on the doughnut in granny's
greenhouse.

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Muddymike wrote:

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

I think it's leftpondian for a bog and a basin ... e.g. such as we'd use
in a downstairs loo

What are those french /euro 4 ft long shower bath / sitzen bath
things called?

--
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/30/2018 7:36 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/04/18 12:23, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/30/2018 6:32 AM, Muddymike wrote:

I thought the Yanks called it the (equally daft) "Restroom". What's
wrong with calling a toilet a toilet?

'Restroom' is more often used for toilets in restaurants, schools, and
similar locations.
In a home it's typically referred to as a 'bathroom', whether or not
it contains a bath (or shower).Â* I've even heard the toilet facilities
on planes referred to as bathrooms...
Emptying one's bowels is often called 'going to the bathroom'.

No, its called going to the bog, or sitting on the doughnut in granny's
greenhouse.

Muddymike was asking about _US_ usage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:05:05 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

Half bath?? I've never understood this term.

I think it's leftpondian for a bog and a basin ... e.g. such as we'd use
in a downstairs loo

Often, in the UK, called a cloakroom - even if there's no room for 'cloaks'.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
On 30/04/2018 10:59, Huge wrote:
On 2018-04-30, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Dunny sounds less precious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2018 21:29, Rod Speed wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/04/2018 10:59, Huge wrote:

half bath

noun

NORTH AMERICAN
a room in a private home that contains a toilet and washbasin but no
bath or shower.

"if it's just a half bath for guests, a nice sink, a sturdy toilet,
and a decorative towel rack will do"

I thought the Yanks called it the (equally daft) "Restroom". What's
wrong with calling a toilet a toilet?

Dunny sounds less precious.

I thought you called it "the proverbial".

--
Max Demian