Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 58w utility room tube

I recently sought opinion on what I should do about the 5 foot 58w T8
magnetic ballast type fitting in my utility room. The problem was that
it was switched by an occupancy switch (PIR), to allow hands free
switching when walking in and out of the room with hands full.

The options were - leave as is (the tube's heaters were being hammered,
by regular starting), change to an LED strip, or change the magnetic
ballast for an electronic one. When it is on, t is not on for long, so
no big advantage for LED. I decided on the latter option (E-Ballast)and
managed to find an electronic ballast for £7.60 delivered and fitted
yesterday.

I was half expecting the series connected PIR not to work and having to
modify the light to allow it to charge up, but it worked fine without
any changes. Light comes on instantly, but with a slight strobing,
which clears within seconds.