Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing a Stone Post

A while ago the stone post at the end of mt wall was knocked down by a delivery vehicle (it was done whilst we were out and nobody saw who it was). The post is in 3 pieces of stone (probably dates from when the house was built in 1890).

The post is roughly 18" square an an uneven base. It looks like it may have been repaired before.

Is there any preferred mix of cement/sand to use for the mortar, Any additives as this is a heavy lump (takes two of us to lift it!)

I do plan to drill a couple of holes and use some steel rod (probably rebar) to give additional support to the structure.

Any thoughts on the mortar mix?

Cheers

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 April 2018 15:14:54 UTC+1, puffernutter wrote:
A while ago the stone post at the end of mt wall was knocked down by a delivery vehicle (it was done whilst we were out and nobody saw who it was). The post is in 3 pieces of stone (probably dates from when the house was built in 1890).

The post is roughly 18" square an an uneven base. It looks like it may have been repaired before.

Is there any preferred mix of cement/sand to use for the mortar, Any additives as this is a heavy lump (takes two of us to lift it!)

I do plan to drill a couple of holes and use some steel rod (probably rebar) to give additional support to the structure.

Any thoughts on the mortar mix?

Cheers

Peter

3:1 mix of sand & builder's lime. Cement is deprecated on stone, many use it but when it eventually lets go it pulls the surface off the stone with it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2018 15:14, puffernutter wrote:
A while ago the stone post at the end of mt wall was knocked down by a delivery vehicle (it was done whilst we were out and nobody saw who it was). The post is in 3 pieces of stone (probably dates from when the house was built in 1890).

The post is roughly 18" square an an uneven base. It looks like it may have been repaired before.

Is there any preferred mix of cement/sand to use for the mortar, Any additives as this is a heavy lump (takes two of us to lift it!)

I do plan to drill a couple of holes and use some steel rod (probably rebar) to give additional support to the structure.

Any thoughts on the mortar mix?

If the 2 breaks are fairly clean then epoxy might be worth considering
for them.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
On 27/04/2018 15:14, puffernutter wrote:
A while ago the stone post at the end of mt wall was knocked down by a delivery vehicle (it was done whilst we were out and nobody saw who it was). The post is in 3 pieces of stone (probably dates from when the house was built in 1890).

The post is roughly 18" square an an uneven base. It looks like it may have been repaired before.

Is there any preferred mix of cement/sand to use for the mortar, Any additives as this is a heavy lump (takes two of us to lift it!)

I do plan to drill a couple of holes and use some steel rod (probably rebar) to give additional support to the structure.

Any thoughts on the mortar mix?

If the 2 breaks are fairly clean then epoxy might be worth considering
for them.

+1

2 part styrene or polyester with a mixing nozzle, most fit in a
standard sealant gun, be quick though! :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/