Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eaves ventilation

Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.

Flat roof?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.

Flat roof?

No. Conventional pitched rafters but *included attic* (chalet bungalow).

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.

Flat roof?

No. Conventional pitched rafters but *included attic* (chalet bungalow).

So no loft as such for "loft insulation" to go in? Presumably you
meant kingspan or similar sheet insulation?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb posted
In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft, and
leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last winter,
which was a pretty cold one.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , David
writes
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Hmm.. builders seem to have latched on to the idea that porous roofing
membrane makes eaves ventilation redundant.

Building Control don't have the same view here! They insisted on a
significant gap between the membrane and any loft insulation.

Flat roof?

No. Conventional pitched rafters but *included attic* (chalet bungalow).

So no loft as such for "loft insulation" to go in? Presumably you
meant kingspan or similar sheet insulation?

I've used both. BC didn't like 200mm of Rockwool between the rafters
because he felt it impacted on the space for ventilation. I changed to
100mm PIR foam between and 35mm foam/plasterboard sandwich underneath.

The small attic spaces have 100mm PIR between floor joists and 100mm
Rockwool over all.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 09:26:11 +0100, Handsome Jack wrote:

Tim Lamb posted
In message , David
writes
[...]

That is why you have a board along the eaves to keep wildlife out, then
drill holes and put grilles in which have a mesh which stops birds, bats,
mice etc. getting in.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack do you not have soffits to keep the birds out? If you do not then I do not think leaving a gap in the insulation or not would keep them out, you may have been lucky until this year.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2018 09:59, David wrote:
[...]

Or, if fitting new boards, use continuous fascia vents which are screwed
to the top of the board and hidden by the gutter/overhang of the
slates/tiles.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Cheers

Dave R

I wouldn't bother ... millions of houses were built without them with no
problems .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

[...]

Or even a mesh which stops wasps getting in.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/18 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft, and
leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last winter,
which was a pretty cold one.

You presumably didn't follow his advice on installing a grill or mesh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts posted
On 20/04/18 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft, and
leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last winter,
which was a pretty cold one.

You presumably didn't follow his advice on installing a grill or mesh?

The builders who installed the roof itself would have done that.

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/18 09:03, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tim Watts posted
On 20/04/18 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft,
and leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last
winter, which was a pretty cold one.

You presumably didn't follow his advice on installing a grill or mesh?

The builders who installed the roof itself would have done that.

Er - so how are birds getting into your loft?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts posted
On 21/04/18 09:03, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tim Watts posted
On 20/04/18 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft,
and leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last
winter, which was a pretty cold one.

You presumably didn't follow his advice on installing a grill or mesh?

The builders who installed the roof itself would have done that.

Er - so how are birds getting into your loft?

I don't know. When you have a constructive suggestion to make I'll be
glad to hear it. Until then ...

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 11:45, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tim Watts posted
On 21/04/18 09:03, Handsome Jack wrote:
Tim Watts posted
On 20/04/18 09:26, Handsome Jack wrote:

When I insulated my new roof space I followed BC's instructions of
leaving a ventilation gap at the eaves (by not running the rockwool
right up to the edge). Now I'm getting birds roosting in the loft,
and leaving bird **** everywhere. Mind you it was just this last
winter, which was a pretty cold one.

You presumably didn't follow his advice on installing a grill or mesh?
Â*The builders who installed the roof itself would have done that.

Er - so how are birds getting into your loft?

I don't know. When you have a constructive suggestion to make I'll be
glad to hear it. Until then ...

Here's one - stop talking rubbish.

Either you have mesh (etc) or you don't. Which one is it?

And if not, why not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 6:09:15 PM UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

There an old idea of venting before the uses of breather underlay. The system was called cross flow system

The best way to stop condensation is to vent the ridge

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2018 11:01, Jimbo ... wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Further into the clear out I've found some of those circular white plastic
eaves vents which allow air to circulate up the rafters, over the top and
down the other side. Hole saw as well.

Intended, I think, for boarded over loft ceilings where there is a risk of
condensation next to the roof.

Looking around, nobody seems to have them in this row of houses.

Are they still considered to be a good idea?

Cheers

Dave R

I wouldn't bother ... millions of houses were built without them with no
problems .....

Was thinking that - certainly not a standard fitment in any Victorian
house I've seen for example. And I can't think that rockwool is an
especially nice nesting material . . .

--
Cheers, Rob