Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lion logo

I've been tiding up a manual I have - it's a pretty poor photo copy.

Maker long since gone.

At the bottom of the front page (next to the list of directors, etc) is a
logo of what looks to be a heraldic lion holding on to a flag pole with a
banner at the top. Totally unreadable. Dates from the early 1980s. Looks
similar to the lion that was stamped on eggs. Anyone remember what it
signified? It's not the company logo. Possibly some trade or export award?

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
I've been tiding up a manual I have - it's a pretty poor photo copy.

Maker long since gone.

At the bottom of the front page (next to the list of directors, etc) is a
logo of what looks to be a heraldic lion holding on to a flag pole with a
banner at the top. Totally unreadable. Dates from the early 1980s. Looks
similar to the lion that was stamped on eggs. Anyone remember what it
signified? It's not the company logo. Possibly some trade or export award?

Possibly but it might just be a company logo.

https://goo.gl/images/xtS5BP

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been tiding up a manual I have - it's a pretty poor photo copy.

Maker long since gone.

At the bottom of the front page (next to the list of directors, etc) is a
logo of what looks to be a heraldic lion holding on to a flag pole with a
banner at the top. Totally unreadable. Dates from the early 1980s. Looks
similar to the lion that was stamped on eggs. Anyone remember what it
signified? It's not the company logo. Possibly some trade or export award?

Have you searched the IPO's register of trademarks?

If that does give an answer it might help if you told us what the manual
is about and shared the image; or failing the latter at least told us
what sort of heraldic lion (rampant, couchant, etc) and whether the pole
carries a square or rectangular banner, or perhaps a pennon or...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
I've been tiding up a manual I have - it's a pretty poor photo copy.

Maker long since gone.

At the bottom of the front page (next to the list of directors, etc) is a
logo of what looks to be a heraldic lion holding on to a flag pole with a
banner at the top. Totally unreadable. Dates from the early 1980s. Looks
similar to the lion that was stamped on eggs. Anyone remember what it
signified? It's not the company logo. Possibly some trade or export award?

Possibly but it might just be a company logo.

https://goo.gl/images/xtS5BP

The lion on mine is standing up on its rear legs. Rampant?

Thought I'd found them all on Google. ;-)

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
I've been tiding up a manual I have - it's a pretty poor photo copy.

Maker long since gone.

At the bottom of the front page (next to the list of directors, etc)
is a logo of what looks to be a heraldic lion holding on to a flag
pole with a banner at the top. Totally unreadable. Dates from the
early 1980s. Looks similar to the lion that was stamped on eggs.
Anyone remember what it signified? It's not the company logo. Possibly
some trade or export award?

Have you searched the IPO's register of trademarks?

If that does give an answer it might help if you told us what the manual
is about and shared the image; or failing the latter at least told us
what sort of heraldic lion (rampant, couchant, etc) and whether the pole
carries a square or rectangular banner, or perhaps a pennon or...

I don't think is is a trademark. I *think* I've seen it used elsewhere, so
perhaps a trade body one or award, etc.

The manual is for a loudspeaker made by Rogers,

--
*I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

You are aware that the goo.gl link shortener is going the way of the dodo
soon I assume?

Existing links will keep working ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

This looks like your decription:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-ima...-image35934321
One of the sites says text can be added to the blank flag, so yours
might say "Made in Britain"
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2018 12:10, Dave W wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Robin wrote:
[...]

He said upthread it was "rampant" which that aten't. But did not give
other obvious inf. Can't help thinking a picture would be worth a 1,000
words.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
This looks like your decription:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-ima...-image35934321
One of the sites says text can be added to the blank flag, so yours
might say "Made in Britain"

To me, that is more a real lion than heraldic one.

And in mine, the lion is standing upright on its hind legs holding on to
the flagpole - rather like a human might do. The banner is also a simple
rectangle designed for easy text (I'd say) rather than meant to look like
a real one. Something designed long before computer graphics became the
norm.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
He said upthread it was "rampant" which that aten't. But did not give
other obvious inf. Can't help thinking a picture would be worth a 1,000
words.

OK then. I'll expect instant recognition of it after the effort of doing
this. ;-)

https://image.ibb.co/eRd9mn/Lion.jpg

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
This looks like your decription:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-ima...-image35934321
One of the sites says text can be added to the blank flag, so yours
might say "Made in Britain"

To me, that is more a real lion than heraldic one.

And in mine, the lion is standing upright on its hind legs holding on to
the flagpole - rather like a human might do. The banner is also a simple
rectangle designed for easy text (I'd say) rather than meant to look like
a real one. Something designed long before computer graphics became the
norm.

I have a near match but with the lower legs sawn off. Salford Grammar
School logo had a lion in a not dissimilar pose to your lion.

http://www.oldsalfordians.co.uk/The_Old_Salfox.html

Bit pixelated so hard to tell really.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 15:16:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Robin wrote:
He said upthread it was "rampant" which that aten't. But did not give
other obvious inf. Can't help thinking a picture would be worth a
1,000 words.

OK then. I'll expect instant recognition of it after the effort of
doing this. ;-)

https://image.ibb.co/eRd9mn/Lion.jpg

Surely with all the whizzy "AI" we're supposed to be in awe of, this is a
nanosecond job ?

Or (as I suspect) is all this AI hype just that - hype ?

;-)

Annoyingly, that logo does look familiar ...

That's what's annoying me. It does to me too. Just hoped someone had a
better memory - not difficult in my case. ;-)

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman

OK then. I'll expect instant recognition of it after the effort of doing
this. ;-)

https://image.ibb.co/eRd9mn/Lion.jpg

Is it at Lion Primary school?
Id have thought blurring out the subject was introduced after your time in
TV

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
He said upthread it was "rampant" which that aten't. But did not give
other obvious inf. Can't help thinking a picture would be worth a 1,000
words.

OK then. I'll expect instant recognition of it after the effort of doing
this. ;-)

https://image.ibb.co/eRd9mn/Lion.jpg

If that's an accurate rendition of your manual then I'm not even sure
what if anything it's holding. Seems to me all one can say is that it's
probably a lion rampant facing the sinister. Is the rest of the manual
equally poor or is it possible the logo was a stamp applied by the retailer?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
He said upthread it was "rampant" which that aten't. But did not give
other obvious inf. Can't help thinking a picture would be worth a 1,000
words.

OK then. I'll expect instant recognition of it after the effort of doing
this. ;-)

https://image.ibb.co/eRd9mn/Lion.jpg

If that's an accurate rendition of your manual then I'm not even sure
what if anything it's holding. Seems to me all one can say is that it's
probably a lion rampant facing the sinister. Is the rest of the manual
equally poor or is it possible the logo was a stamp applied by the
retailer?

These are pro speakers and unlikely to have had a retailer. Supplied to
the end user direct.

Did you reduce the size down to about the postage stamp size it is on the
document? Or try viewing a long way from your monitor? On this 24" one,
viewing my JPEG of it from about 3 metres away is best. It looks to me to
have two banners, one on top of the other, with the top one not attached
to the pole. Of course it may not be a lion at all. The long tail might
make it a monkey. ;-)

Most of the manual is readable OK. As are the schematics. All simply back
on white. But a couple of pics in it just about as bad as this logo, so
perhaps down to photo copiers of that time.

It's not that important. Just thought I half recognised the logo and hoped
someone on here would remember what it was.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you reduce the size down to about the postage stamp size it is on the
document? Or try viewing a long way from your monitor? On this 24" one,
viewing my JPEG of it from about 3 metres away is best. It looks to me to
have two banners, one on top of the other, with the top one not attached
to the pole. Of course it may not be a lion at all. The long tail might
make it a monkey. ;-)

I tried it at various sizes. But I think your best hope is the software
they use in CSI that can give a vehicle's license plate from 6 pixels

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

Did you reduce the size down to about the postage stamp size it is on
the document? Or try viewing a long way from your monitor? On this 24"
one, viewing my JPEG of it from about 3 metres away is best. It looks
to me to have two banners, one on top of the other, with the top one
not attached to the pole. Of course it may not be a lion at all. The
long tail might make it a monkey. ;-)

I tried it at various sizes. But I think your best hope is the software
they use in CSI that can give a vehicle's license plate from 6 pixels

;-). Just love the way a cheap video camera and basic lens well
outperforms a many thousand quid broadcast one in the likes of CSI stories.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

I blurred your blocky image to understand it better, but had no luck finding
anything like it on line. Could you rescan it at 4 times the dpi you used?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I blurred your blocky image to understand it better, but had no luck
finding anything like it on line. Could you rescan it at 4 times the dpi
you used?

Eh? The original I have is a scanned copy of the manual as a PDF.
Increasing the resoluting makes not the slightest difference, as there's
no more information to be gained. This isn't a CSI TV prog. ;-)

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I blurred your blocky image to understand it better, but had no luck
finding anything like it on line. Could you rescan it at 4 times the dpi
you used?

Eh? The original I have is a scanned copy of the manual as a PDF.
Increasing the resoluting makes not the slightest difference, as there's
no more information to be gained. This isn't a CSI TV prog. ;-)

As you originally described your manual as a photo copy, I took that to
mean that it was an image from a film camera. I now understand that the
blockiness of the lion is in the copy, not your scan of it. So the
manual is itself a scan. In that case, it would be more helpful to
submit a picture of the whole of the front page, in sufficient
resolution that names could be Googled. It might even be possible to use
an image search to find the manual online.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
In article ,
Dave W wrote:
I blurred your blocky image to understand it better, but had no luck
finding anything like it on line. Could you rescan it at 4 times the
dpi you used?

Eh? The original I have is a scanned copy of the manual as a PDF.
Increasing the resoluting makes not the slightest difference, as
there's no more information to be gained. This isn't a CSI TV prog.
;-)

As you originally described your manual as a photo copy, I took that to
mean that it was an image from a film camera.

Not knowing the history, it could be a scan of a photocopy. But I used
'photocopy' as a generic term since if it was copied early on in its life
it would likely have been with an office machine, as domestic ones weren't
around then.

I now understand that the
blockiness of the lion is in the copy, not your scan of it. So the
manual is itself a scan. In that case, it would be more helpful to
submit a picture of the whole of the front page, in sufficient
resolution that names could be Googled. It might even be possible to use
an image search to find the manual online.

If I could have found a pristine copy online I'd already have it ;-)

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
In article ,
Dave W wrote:
[...]

Indeed. But if you publish the front page someone else might have better
luck.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
If I could have found a pristine copy online I'd already have it ;-)

Indeed. But if you publish the front page someone else might have better
luck.

I've said what's on it. ;-)

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:06:45 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

Gracious me ! Yes.

It is pretty close, isn't it? I'll see if I can download a vector image
and alter it to what I want. Thanks, chaps.

All I need to know is what it said in the banner(s) ;-)

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 April 2018 10:39:13 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:06:45 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

Gracious me ! Yes.

It is pretty close, isn't it? I'll see if I can download a vector image
and alter it to what I want. Thanks, chaps.

All I need to know is what it said in the banner(s) ;-)

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611150558/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:06:45 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

Gracious me ! Yes.

It is pretty close, isn't it? I'll see if I can download a vector image
and alter it to what I want. Thanks, chaps.

All I need to know is what it said in the banner(s) ;-)

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the
weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611150558/

One is an Austin and one a Singer and both still on the road ,you could
find the model details by digging deeper on the web but may have to tell
fibs that you are entitled to the information.

GH

#1. Alvis #2, Riley

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:06:45 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

Gracious me ! Yes.

It is pretty close, isn't it? I'll see if I can download a vector image
and alter it to what I want. Thanks, chaps.

All I need to know is what it said in the banner(s) ;-)

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the
weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611150558/

One is an Austin and one a Singer and both still on the road ,you could
find the model details by digging deeper on the web but may have to tell
fibs that you are entitled to the information.

GH

I tried to search for the reg numbers but came up with nothing.
I took them as part of a compition where my camera club were invited to one of their singer exibition days we took photos and they judged them I won a few dinner plates with the singer owners car club design but it wasn't the same logo as on either of those cars.

I've only put them up so I can get rid of some of my old slides and in case the current ownwers might get a chance to see the condition of these cars in the mid 70s.

#1. Alvis #2, Riley

cheers I'll, search and add the info later.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave whisky.dave@

[...]

I had 5 minutes to kill while waitiing for a phone call so put the the
numbers in the GOV MOTcheck site,though of course both are now exempt due
to age.
That gives the make but not the model.
Both appear to be taxed at the moment.
For greater details such as make you would probably need to lie as to
having a valid reason or pretend you wanted an insurance quote and could
not be bothered to do that.

An anomaly with the Austin is that there is a discrepancy of two years of
first registration when checking just MOT Status and or using the MOT
history check. the latter also carries a warning that the owner is dire
risk of a fine as the MOT has expired so it does not seem to recognise the
exemption for older vehicles that came in a while back.

GH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:06:45 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 13/04/2018 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Peugeot logo

Lowenbrau.

Gracious me ! Yes.

It is pretty close, isn't it? I'll see if I can download a vector image
and alter it to what I want. Thanks, chaps.

All I need to know is what it said in the banner(s) ;-)

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

Hmm no longert registered

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611150558/

Registration is for a red Singer these days

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the
weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

Hmm no longert registered

What were you looking at to check?
On the GOV MOT check it shows up well enough even though it it is now MOT
excempt.
taxed till January 2019.

Mistyped the number?

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/18 18:24, Marland wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Talking of logos I scanned in a few old photos from late 70s at the
weekend, anyone know what these two cars are.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/27611146658/

Hmm no longert registered

What were you looking at to check?
On the GOV MOT check it shows up well enough even though it it is now MOT
excempt.
taxed till January 2019.

Mistyped the number?

Mastodon!

GH

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
If I could have found a pristine copy online I'd already have it ;-)

Indeed. But if you publish the front page someone else might have better
luck.

I've said what's on it. ;-)

But you haven't shown a picture of it, including actual names.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
In article ,
Dave W wrote:
If I could have found a pristine copy online I'd already have it ;-)

Indeed. But if you publish the front page someone else might have better
luck.

I've said what's on it. ;-)

But you haven't shown a picture of it, including actual names.

Because I can't see it helping. If you don't know what trade association
or award etc logo a company like Rogers might have used, a pic of the
Front page isn't going make any difference.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *