Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Sandstone

What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

Any other ideas?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 19:12:43 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

Any other ideas?

Needle gun yes, if you want to obliterate the sandstone completely. I'd start with lots of soaking to soften the paint, preferably with a dot of detergent, then a scrubbing brush to remove what it can.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 19:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 19:12:40 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

Any other ideas?

If it's rough stone, then I'd use a wire brush, as the resulting rough
surface won't be much different to the original. I cleaned some slate
slab that way last week on a decorative fireplace surround that had
been cemented into place. Came up nicely.

+1

And a manual brush at that, I suspect that a cup or disk brush on an
angle grinder may leave unsightly swirls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I lived in a sandstone building many years ago. A finger nail was enough to cause plenty of surface damage.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the sandstone.
It can be soft as **** or really hard.
The hardest sandstone is in the North of England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 19:12:43 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

Any other ideas?

--
Cheers
Dave.

I used a circular metal sanding disk on some window sills that we had. You have to be very careful not to go into the stone but it gives a nice smooth finish.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

Any other ideas?

I use something called Enviromose for stripping emulsion (it's one of
these benzyl alcohol strippers). It's still a pain to scrape off, but
it softens it up very nicely. If I want to remove all traces, I'll
follow it up with acetone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Luxury! We 'ad it hard....

Yes but fair comment, my point was not to dive in with a power tool
until it is clear what's needed to do the job. The measure twice, cut
once philosophy that we have all learned about the hard way!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

exactly. I'd be hesistant to suggest damaging the surface or using something that may well do so without knowing it would be fine.

NT

The hardest sandstone is in the North of England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think most of us have learnt that you can measure twice, cut once & still screw it up. But it does help the odds

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 03:19:26 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

I used a circular metal sanding disk on some window sills that we had.
You have to be very careful not to go into the stone but it gives a nice
smooth finish.

Wish to retain the rough split (across the bedding planes) nature of
the stones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 18:18:19 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I use something called Enviromose for stripping emulsion (it's one of
these benzyl alcohol strippers). It's still a pain to scrape off, but
it softens it up very nicely. If I want to remove all traces, I'll
follow it up with acetone.

SWMBO'd is rather "sensitive" to organic solvents. Not a chance of
washing the wall down with acetone. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 00:08:11 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

And a manual brush at that, I suspect that a cup or disk brush on

an
angle grinder may leave unsightly swirls.

I lived in a sandstone building many years ago. A finger nail was
enough to cause plenty of surface damage.

It depends on the sandstone.
It can be soft as **** or really hard.

There are two types kicking about around here, both are fairly hard.
One is moderately coarse and when exposed to the weather for a bit
will split very easyly (aka fall apart) along a bedding plane. The
other is much finer, harder and of "engineeering" grade.

The hardest sandstone is in the North of England

http://alstonnaturalstone.com/index.html

This is the fine hard stuff, has nice colour variation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 20:15:11 +0100, newshound wrote:

And a manual brush at that, I suspect that a cup or disk brush on an
angle grinder may leave unsightly swirls.

Not sure where my manual wire brush has gone... and yes I think a
powered brush is likely to be a bit too vicious but a manual brush
hard work!

Needle gun ide came from a friend over in the next valley who used
one to clean the exterior walls of his place. So I think the stone
will withstand it, I'd go gently to start with anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 18:18:19 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I use something called Enviromose for stripping emulsion (it's one of
these benzyl alcohol strippers). It's still a pain to scrape off, but
it softens it up very nicely. If I want to remove all traces, I'll
follow it up with acetone.

SWMBO'd is rather "sensitive" to organic solvents. Not a chance of
washing the wall down with acetone. B-)

Well, I was thinking more of rubbing, but the resulting smell is pretty
much the same :-) But I find that no matter what you do, you're going
to get into trouble for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

What would be the best method to get white emulsion off rough split
sandstone and the mortar (cement not lime) joints? The wanted end
result being visible clean stone and mortar. There is only about 1 sq
metre to do, indoors.

Thinking of a steam cleaner to soften the paint but how to remove the
softened paint totally from the gain of the stone? Indoors, so
sloshing lots of water about isn't on.

I'd try a test patch with caustic soda and a scrubbing brush.

Mechanical with a needle gun?

That's a good way of removing heavy scale from steel ...

[?] Cleaning Indian sandstone patio. David Chapman UK diy 15 March 19th 12 08:25 AM
Pointing for sandstone wattie UK diy 4 December 14th 04 05:20 PM
Mortar mix for sandstone copings Peter Morrill UK diy 8 August 12th 04 08:52 AM
"grouting" between interior sandstone flagstones James W UK diy 1 October 30th 03 09:57 PM
Removing paint from sandstone Nick UK diy 2 July 31st 03 03:00 PM