Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got a Bosch strimmer?

If so, what the hell is this?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ia6ixu.jpg

The monochrome manual is no use of course
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length
after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:17:08 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length
after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Ah, that's why it has tape round it maybe. I'll use scissors anyway. Thanks Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2018 11:07, stuart noble wrote:
If so, what the hell is this?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ia6ixu.jpg

The monochrome manual is no use of course

I have. As already posted, it's there to cut the line to length when
you bump it out.

PS
Is your strimmer new or am I just a tool slut for not shampooing mine
before I put it away?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/18 11:07, stuart noble wrote:
If so, what the hell is this?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ia6ixu.jpg

The monochrome manual is no use of course

I have one and it's the line cutting blade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length
after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Ah, that's why it has tape round it maybe. I'll use scissors anyway. Thanks Andy.

Possibly shipping tape? Should just be metal in a plastic mount.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length
after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Ah, that's why it has tape round it maybe. I'll use scissors anyway. Thanks Andy.

Possibly shipping tape? Should just be metal in a plastic mount.

Cheers chaps. Beats the hell out of ringing Bosch. Don't worry, Robin. It's new!
Seems like a good design compared to previous cheap strimmers I've used
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length
after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Ah, that's why it has tape round it maybe. I'll use scissors anyway. Thanks Andy.

There is a blade there. The stripper will have some form of auto line
feed and when the line extends beyond the diameter of the guard the
blade will automatically cut it to the correct length. If the blade
wasn't there the line would start cutting through the plastic guard.

There are many various ways auto line feed work. On my cordless the
spinning up from stop feeds the line out by a small amount. I've had
strimmers where bouncing the bottom of the spool on the ground allows
the spool to feed a small amount of line out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 01/04/2018, stuart noble supposed :
If so, what the hell is this?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ia6ixu.jpg

The monochrome manual is no use of course

It is a blade, to cut off the excess line when you have ejected so
fresh line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 1:01:09 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 01/04/2018, stuart noble supposed :
If so, what the hell is this?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ia6ixu.jpg

The monochrome manual is no use of course

It is a blade, to cut off the excess line when you have ejected so
fresh line.

Many thanks. I think I get it now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These usually reside on the edge of the guard though, and the old B./D ones
were always falling to bits.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:

If so, what the hell is this?

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years,
but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length after
you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Brian Gaff formulated :
These usually reside on the edge of the guard though, and the old B./D ones
were always falling to bits.
Brian

They were poorly supported and the plastic would break and the mild
steel blades would rust, become blunt and compound the strain on the
plastic.