DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Actual DIY Q :-D (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/607758-actual-diy-q-d.html)

whisky-dave[_2_] March 26th 18 04:39 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best..

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me

Andy Burns[_13_] March 26th 18 05:12 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Though I've done worktops with a jigsaw, it's not the ideal tool,
shallow blade can wander easily, and can get flex so the bottom of the
cut isn't inline with the top.

Having a 1/2" router I'd use that, but without one I think I'd drop back
to a circ saw, rather than jigsaw.

with either a circ saw, or a jigsaw if you stick with plan A, think
about tooth cutting direction on the melamine surface, and flip/rotate
worktop accordingly, apply masking tape too.

alan_m March 26th 18 05:59 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 26/03/2018 17:12, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen
and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just
the compressedÂ* wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking
of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10Â* 7 years ago is a
bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a
few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Though I've done worktops with a jigsaw, it's not the ideal tool,
shallow blade can wander easily, and can get flex so the bottom of the
cut isn't inline with the top.

Having a 1/2" router I'd use that, but without one I think I'd drop back
to a circ saw, rather than jigsaw.

with either a circ saw, or a jigsaw if you stick with plan A, think
about tooth cutting direction on the melamine surface, and flip/rotate
worktop accordingly, apply masking tape too.

For jigsaws you can get down-stroke blades or special laminate blades
BUT make sure that blade length/depth of cut is adequate for a worktop.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-a-...m-5-pack/4021r

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-b-...s-5-pack/6172r

I used the latter type blades when fitting my worktop and they worked
well cutting from the laminate side after first taping the surface. They
fit a variety of jigsaw makes but check which blades you can get for the
jigsaw you buy.

As stated, with a jig saw the bottom of the cut may not be inline with
the top but it possibly doesn't matter that much if this cut is going to
be against a wall. In this case its probably better to cut from the top
as this is the edge surface that will be seen. It's not two much of a
problem when cutting holes for sinks or hobs as the cut edge will be
totally hidden.

I used a jigsaw on my worktop but both ends abutted a wall. I wouldn't
use a jigsaw if the cut edge will be seen.

Also if the jig saw orbital action can be disabled - do so. A quick
explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJ_6bsyrhk

newshound March 26th 18 06:42 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 26/03/2018 16:39, whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me

Have you any other cordless devices which might share batteries? You
might find a cordless more convenient for the flooring.

As another poster said, jigsaw is the wrong tool for worktop (unless you
*have* to make a curved cut). Sort of assuming you don't have a router.

Worth checking Aldi/Lidl for jigsaws, either mains or cordless.

Worth having pendulum/orbital motion.

Here's a reasonably cheap cordless with what looks like a decent battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonHaus-C...IAAOSwklBaqoS6

I always used to think a jigsaw was something that it was worth paying a
bit more for a known brand. But TBH I've been impressed by the improving
quality of no-name Chinese stuff.

FWIW I have one of these, and it is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PST-7...ordless+jigsaw

Andy Burns[_13_] March 26th 18 06:52 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

newshound wrote:

FWIW I have one of these, and it is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PST-7...ordless+jigsaw

I have a Makita 4351, I like its unconventional shape in the hand, when
using it on 15mm oak flooring, you'd swear the edge has been planed, not
cut with a jigsaw - a very different tool from the knockabout B&Q one it
replaced.

newshound March 26th 18 08:29 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 26/03/2018 18:52, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

FWIW I have one of these, and it is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PST-7...ordless+jigsaw

I have a Makita 4351, I like its unconventional shape in the hand, when
using it on 15mm oak flooring, you'd swear the edge has been planed, not
cut with a jigsaw - a very different tool from the knockabout B&Q one it
replaced.

How is "orbital" motion different to pendulum? Does it really move the
axis in an orbit rather than just tilt it back and forward? Is this why
it gives such a good cut?

I love Makita kit, but this is probably a bit expensive for the OP's needs.

alan_m March 26th 18 09:34 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 26/03/2018 20:29, newshound wrote:

How is "orbital" motion different to pendulum? Does it really move the
axis in an orbit rather than just tilt it back and forward? Is this why
it gives such a good cut?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJ_6bsyrhk

I also have a Makita 4350T and it has 4 settings, one pendulum and three
orbital

Dave Plowman (News) March 26th 18 11:49 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and
will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the
compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of
buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit
past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a start.
And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate flooring than a
jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts. But realise you may not have space
(or much other uses) for one.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few
from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are
all close to me

I have a mains Bosch which is ages old but still good. But since it's not
a tool I used a vast amount the cordless one I got from Lidl has mainly
replaced it. Important to have easy to change blades IMHO.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jim K[_3_] March 27th 18 12:01 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

alan_m Wrote in message:
On 26/03/2018 20:29, newshound wrote:

How is "orbital" motion different to pendulum? Does it really move the
axis in an orbit rather than just tilt it back and forward? Is this why
it gives such a good cut?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJ_6bsyrhk

I also have a Makita 4350T and it has 4 settings, one pendulum and three
orbital

"This tool can be operated with an orbital or a straight line

(up and down) cutting action. The orbital cutting action thrusts
the blade forward on the cutting stroke and greatly increases
cutting speed"

Sounds like pendulum to me...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jim K[_3_] March 27th 18 12:01 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and
will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the
compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of
buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit
past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a start.
And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate flooring than a
jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dave Plowman (News) March 27th 18 12:44 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and
will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the
compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of
buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit
past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

[email protected] March 27th 18 09:07 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Monday, 26 March 2018 16:39:45 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me

As said a jigsaw is the wrong saw for the job - and for nearly all jobs. A circular saw is way more useful.

If you had to do the jobs with just one saw, best saw for laminate is going to be a mitre saw. And for a worktop a router - you could get by with a circular if necessary.

NT

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 10:21 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Monday, 26 March 2018 18:52:21 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

FWIW I have one of these, and it is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PST-7...ordless+jigsaw

I have a Makita 4351, I like its unconventional shape in the hand, when
using it on 15mm oak flooring, you'd swear the edge has been planed, not
cut with a jigsaw - a very different tool from the knockabout B&Q one it
replaced.

Think I'll, pass on the first ooption at £1k !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33177...895&rmvSB=true

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 10:52 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 09:07:46 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 26 March 2018 16:39:45 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me

As said a jigsaw is the wrong saw for the job - and for nearly all jobs. A circular saw is way more useful.

What I really need to do with the worktop is cut or drill a few holes in it so the heat from the fridge & freezer can escape from the back. I was thinking of the castle battlement shape at the back, or a few triangles which would avoid the obvious cutting problem.

If you had to do the jobs with just one saw, best saw for laminate is going to be a mitre saw. And for a worktop a router - you could get by with a circular if necessary.

I managed to cut the width of 3 work surface tops and do the laminate floor in my bathroom with the £10 jigsaw I got from B&Q, for the worktops it took a few too many teabreaks per cut but I got there in the end :-D, just thought a better jigsaw would be the best option.
I haven't a workshop and all cutting was done in the kitchen, using two old chairs and a few G-clamps as a workmate.

I've never seen a worktop cut up with a router and only seen the bench ciruclar saws cut kitchen worktops.

NT

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 10:59 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Monday, 26 March 2018 18:42:34 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-.../587918_BQ.prd

Andy Burns[_13_] March 27th 18 11:11 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/jigsaw-mejs750/587918_BQ.prd

Is it much different from your existing B&Q jigsaw? My old B&Q one
didn't die, I've kept it around so I won't use the new one for any rough
jobs.

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 11:37 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 11:11:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/jigsaw-mejs750/587918_BQ.prd

Is it much different from your existing B&Q jigsaw? My old B&Q one
didn't die, I've kept it around so I won't use the new one for any rough
jobs.

Well my existing one was lent to a friend who returned it after using it to cut marine ply, it came back with the box wet, soaked in oil and canal water (if I'm lucky) and the actual jigsaw smelt funny although it seemed to work when powered on from a distance.

I'll check to see what model number it is, but on checking my records I started doing my kitchen in may 2006, I still have the same fridge & freezer too, which need replacing
So I think I can treat myself to a new toy as I've decided I really don't need a iMac Pro at the moment.

alan_m March 27th 18 12:01 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 27/03/2018 10:59, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 26 March 2018 18:42:34 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PST-7...ordless+jigsaw

I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-.../587918_BQ.prd

Typical best jigsaws for a journalist review but which way does the
Bosch model cut?

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/...-10219608.html

(3rd jigsaw on that page)

GB March 27th 18 12:57 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 27/03/2018 10:52, whisky-dave wrote:

What I really need to do with the worktop is cut or drill a few holes in it so the heat from the fridge & freezer can escape from the back. I was thinking of the castle battlement shape at the back, or a few triangles which would avoid the obvious cutting problem.

Things will fall down, unless you make an upstand in front of the holes.
If you are going to do that, the holes won't be visible, so it doesn't
matter what shape they are. :)

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 01:12 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 12:57:36 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 27/03/2018 10:52, whisky-dave wrote:

What I really need to do with the worktop is cut or drill a few holes in it so the heat from the fridge & freezer can escape from the back. I was thinking of the castle battlement shape at the back, or a few triangles which would avoid the obvious cutting problem.

Things will fall down, unless you make an upstand in front of the holes.

Nah I sorted that out at my parents place, after I cut the mark/space I stuck some plastic type 'chicken wire' (5mm holes) level with the work surface..
The only thing that got through that was some stray peas.

If you are going to do that, the holes won't be visible, so it doesn't
matter what shape they are. :)

I'd really like hexagonal holes similar in shape and size that bees make for honey.

Dave Plowman (News) March 27th 18 01:21 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-.../587918_BQ.prd

My rule of thumb is you tend to get rather better power tools for the
money from Lidl/Aldi than the shed own brands. But you may not be able to
get what you want immediately.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

GB March 27th 18 01:28 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 27/03/2018 13:12, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd really like hexagonal holes similar in shape and size that bees make for honey.

https://www.israel21c.org/wp-content...hive-ramot.jpg

People really do live in those! Described as "architecturally
controversial".

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 01:43 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 13:31:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I was considering this one
https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-.../587918_BQ.prd

My rule of thumb is you tend to get rather better power tools for the
money from Lidl/Aldi than the shed own brands. But you may not be able to
get what you want immediately.

Yes which is why I'm looking around now see what's about, as soon as term ends I can start taking days off and can have a few in a row without worrying about cover. I can take my cat for her boosters and arrange for npower to look at my meter as it's not been looked at for 2 years !. I might even get my landline fixed.

[email protected] March 27th 18 02:12 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 10:52:07 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 09:07:46 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
[...]

A circular can do that very easily. A jigsaw can do it badly.

If you had to do the jobs with just one saw, best saw for laminate is going to be a mitre saw. And for a worktop a router - you could get by with a circular if necessary.

I managed to cut the width of 3 work surface tops and do the laminate floor in my bathroom with the £10 jigsaw I got from B&Q, for the worktops it took a few too many teabreaks per cut but I got there in the end :-D, just thought a better jigsaw would be the best option.

that being the best option is about as likely as some of your electronic ideas.

I haven't a workshop and all cutting was done in the kitchen, using two old chairs and a few G-clamps as a workmate.

I've never seen a worktop cut up with a router and only seen the bench ciruclar saws cut kitchen worktops.

Enjoy your new found poor choice tool. It should get you there, but slowly & the result will be crap. It won't be anywhere near as useful for future jobs.

NT

Brian Gaff March 27th 18 02:51 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

I was going to say, tape is very much needed as the laminate surface is
brittle.
I used a black and decker jig saw back in the 70s with good effect to do
this kind of stuff, but its not that quick and you need a lot of
concentration.
Oh and usually at least one other pair of willing hands to support the bits
being cut off to stop it splintering even with the tape.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Jim K[_3_] March 27th 18 04:21 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and
will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the
compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of
buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit
past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

Sink pedestals, WCs, also doorframes need detailed cuts - how
about you?
Have you ever done it? Sounds like a no...

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

whisky-dave[_2_] March 27th 18 04:31 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and
will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the
compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of
buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit
past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

Sink pedestals, WCs, also doorframes need detailed cuts - how
about you?
Have you ever done it? Sounds like a no...

I did mine with my £10 jigsaw in 2006, I even had to have the sink worktop cut at an angle, using a computer and photoshop to rotate the hole needed for the sink by about 25 degrees or so.

Jim K[_3_] March 27th 18 05:01 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Couldn't you just rotate the supplied template? :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] March 27th 18 05:13 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 26/03/2018 16:39, whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7 years ago is a bit past it's best.

So any advice, I wont be doing much more with it there seems to be a few from £50 to £100 don't want to pay much more.

Either 240V or cordless.

any favourites makes/models from B&Q, screwfix, argos, ITS or aldi are all close to me

As others have said: a jigsaw is not good in thick materials because the
blade bends, especially if you are following a fence. I've sometimes
rough cut with a jigsaw but have always finished with a 1/2" router and
a long cutter. If you don't want to buy the correct tool for the job
then why not hire?

humphrey March 27th 18 06:38 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:44:44 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen
and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just
the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm
thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7
years ago is a bit past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

ever fitted any flooring ??

[email protected] March 27th 18 08:10 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 17:13:44 UTC+1, wrote:

As others have said: a jigsaw is not good in thick materials because the
blade bends, especially if you are following a fence. I've sometimes
rough cut with a jigsaw but have always finished with a 1/2" router and
a long cutter. If you don't want to buy the correct tool for the job
then why not hire?

because it's as expensive as buying.

NT

GB March 27th 18 11:14 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On 27/03/2018 20:10, wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 17:13:44 UTC+1, wrote:

As others have said: a jigsaw is not good in thick materials because the
blade bends, especially if you are following a fence. I've sometimes
rough cut with a jigsaw but have always finished with a 1/2" router and
a long cutter. If you don't want to buy the correct tool for the job
then why not hire?

because it's as expensive as buying.

So true, unfortunately!

Dave Plowman (News) March 27th 18 11:41 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

Sink pedestals, WCs, also doorframes need detailed cuts - how
about you?

You'd actually cut laminate flooring round those things, would you?

Have you ever done it? Sounds like a no...

Certainly not a bodge like that. Remove everything so it goes underneath,
including skirting. Door frames can be notched with a multi-tool. But
then I'm talking about decent quality engineered wood - not a lino
substitute.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman (News) March 27th 18 11:42 PM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen
and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just
the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm
thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7
years ago is a bit past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

ever fitted any flooring ??

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 28th 18 01:16 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

total ******** ime

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

humphrey March 28th 18 01:35 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 23:42:09 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
humphrey wrote:

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

ever fitted any flooring ??

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.

so the cuts i do with a jigsaw you would use a chopsaw?

u pompous tosser

[email protected] March 28th 18 03:35 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

humphrey wrote:

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

ever fitted any flooring ??

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.

so the cuts i do with a jigsaw you would use a chopsaw?

u pompous tosser

For the first time this century I agree with Mr Plowman.

Jim K[_3_] March 28th 18 07:41 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

Jim K wrote:
? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

Sink pedestals, WCs, also doorframes need detailed cuts - how
about you?

You'd actually cut laminate flooring round those things, would you?

I have done.

Have you ever done it? Sounds like a no...

Certainly not a bodge like that. Remove everything so it goes underneath

And screw them down through the laminate afterwards? How does
that work with the required floating floor expansion
gaps?

Door frames can be notched with a multi-tool.

Only to an extent.
Tell us about your unbelievably laughable claim to have never
needed to cut a full plank with anything other than a chop saw
even longitudinally? :-)

Perhaps you missed that bit when you were watching the little man
do it for you ?

But
then I'm talking about decent quality engineered wood - not a lino
substitute.

"sniff, sniff"?
Seems you're struggling with relevancy again...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jim K[_3_] March 28th 18 08:01 AM

Actual DIY Q :-D

whisky-dave wrote:

I'm thinking of laying wooden type laminate flooring in the kitchen
and will also need to cut a couple of pieces of kitchen worktop just
the compressed wood ones with the formica type tops, so I'm
thinking of buying a new jigsaw, my B&Q I got for just a £10 7
years ago is a bit past it's best.

Do be sure your laminate flooring is suitable for a kitchen, for a
start. And must admit to finding a chop saw more use for laminate
flooring than a jigsaw, since it gives accurate cuts.

? But not longitudinal cuts or around curves...

Got lots of curves in your rooms?

ever fitted any flooring ??

Yes, but properly. I'll leave the bodging to others.

Like most everything else?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----