Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HONEYWELL ST799 CENTRAL HEATING CONTROLLER / PROGRAMMER

Hello all... My Honeywell ST799 Programmer is problematic! I can no longer use HOT WATER alone, but only the CENTRAL HEATING programme switches on the boiler. Also, when I attempt to programme in the time for either the HOT WATER OR CENTRAL HEATING the times change for both simultaneously! Has anyone else come across this 'delinquent' behaviour? Or can anyone suggest a fix? Any advice will be much appreciated... Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all... My Honeywell ST799 Programmer is problematic! I can no longer use HOT WATER alone, but only the CENTRAL HEATING programme switches on the boiler. Also, when I attempt to programme in the time for either the HOT WATER OR CENTRAL HEATING the times change for both simultaneously! Has anyone else come across this 'delinquent' behaviour? Or can anyone suggest a fix? Any advice will be much appreciated... Richard.

It has possibly got its knickers in a twist.
Remove the battery and short the terminals in the programmer to
discharge any capacitors. replace battery and reprogramme.

Might work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2018 12:15, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all... My Honeywell ST799 Programmer is problematic! I can no longer use HOT WATER alone, but only the CENTRAL HEATING programme switches on the boiler. Also, when I attempt to programme in the time for either the HOT WATER OR CENTRAL HEATING the times change for both simultaneously! Has anyone else come across this 'delinquent' behaviour? Or can anyone suggest a fix? Any advice will be much appreciated... Richard.

You need to tell us a bit more about your system. Is it fully pumped, or
gravity HW and pumped CH? Does it have any motorised valves? If so, how
many and what type (two port or three port)?

I could be wrong, but as far as I can see from the data sheet for your
programmer, it only has one timer, so you can't have different times for
HW and CH. You can independently set each to on, off or timed but, when
timed, the both go on and off at the same time. Is this not correct?

My hunch is that you probably have a fully pumped S-Plan system with two
2-port motorised valves. If the boiler isn't coming on for HW, this
usually means either that the HW zone valve isn't opening - or that it
*is* opening but not enough to trigger its micro-switch to switch on the
boiler. [I've just had this problem with my CH valve].

When the boiler runs for the CH, does the HW also get hot?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 14:17:45 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger and thanks for that... Bob Minchin suggests that it may have it's knickers in a twist BUT I think it might be MY knickers that are in a twist :-)

We have only been in this house for a few days and I'm trying to get to grips with the heating / HW system and I'm finding it most frustrating and trying! Ignorance kills!! When the boiler runs for the CH, the HW does also get hot, and it does appear to be a fully pumped system but I can't identify any motorised valves. You are also correct in that the system has only one timer and I've misunderstood the instruction booklet thinking that one had independent time control of the HW AND CH!? If I had a brain... I'd be dangerous... So, for me back to the learning curve...

Kindest regards... Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2018 16:09, Richardmerri wrote:
[...]

Any chance of uploading some photos of your system somewhere, and
posting a link here? [Boiler & connecting pipework, Pump, Hot water
cylinder and connecting pipework, etc.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 21:37:01 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Hello again Roger... Well, we moved into this house just a few days ago but yesterday I spoke with the previous owner who explained that I was using the system incorrectly. He explained in detail how the hot water storage and supply tank operated in conjunction with the immersion heater. So, I did everything as the previous owner described and all appears to be well. We obtained hot water and enjoyed our first bath / shower since moving in :-) ...Thank you for your help and encouragement Roger.

Kindest regards,

Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2018 17:03, Richardmerri wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear that you're sorted.

I wouldn't recommend using an immersion heater as the principal means of
generating hot water, though, if there is an alternative of using the
gas boiler. Unless you're only heating it at night, with an off-peak
supply, electricity is at least three times as expensive as gas for the
same amount of energy.

As a matter of interest, whereabouts in the country are you?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 20:39:29 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger... Yes indeed... Got that... Location is Tollerton, near Nottingham NG12 4DZ. I have been most grateful for your kind help and encouragement... It's been a pleasure to meet with you in 'cyberspace' ;-)

Kindest regards... Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:
[...]

Not sure Id call a gas fired system that still requires the use of an
immersion heater as €śwell€ť. Its a very poorly designed system if its
still reliant on a secondary heating system to provide a basic service like
hot water.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls