Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing / patching holes in plasterboard for ceiling lights that areslightly too big

The holes cut for the GU10 ceiling lights are slightly too big and the edges of the plaster board look rough. Is there a reliable way to fix this so the finish appears better?

Thanks,

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 March 2018 11:20:52 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/03/18 11:17, GB wrote:
On 09/03/2018 11:04, wrote:

The holes cut for the GU10 ceiling lights are slightly too big and the
edges of the plaster board look rough. Is there a reliable way to fix
this so the finish appears better?

Thanks,

Clive

Google downlight hole reducer plate
or downlight hole concealer ring

Or buy some paint, some plaster and some sandpaper

and pva, it'll all be weak otherwise

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 March 2018 11:04:16 UTC, wrote:
The holes cut for the GU10 ceiling lights are slightly too big and the edges of the plaster board look rough. Is there a reliable way to fix this so the finish appears better?

Thanks,

Clive

Hi All,

I was concerned I could spend a lot of effort trying to fill the space between the light fitting and the hole in the plasterboard (it isnt large) then the filler falling out because it has little except the edge of the hole to "cling" to. The downlight hole concealer ring looks a viable option. If the plastic is thin enough I might even be able to recess it in the plasterboard, stick it with contact adhesive liek GripFill, then cover the surface of the ring with filler. Or the concealer ring might be so discrete I wont bother trying to recess and disguise it therby potentially causing more damage to the ceiling.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 March 2018 12:34:25 UTC, wrote:
[...]

I glued some cardboard strips with PVA when I changed our kitchen light fittings for some smaller ones. It worked fine as the fittings covered the cardboard.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2018 14:27, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Hope you don't have a kitchen fire then !.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/03/2018 20:11, Andrew wrote:
The holes cut for the GU10 ceiling lights are slightly too big and the
edges of the plaster board look rough. Is there a reliable way to fix
this so the finish appears better?

Another option would be to cut out a square panel from the ceiling, fit
a new panel with correct size hole. New panel fitted with a couple of
battens filled and smoothed at joints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Friday, 9 March 2018 12:34:25 UTC, Â* wrote:
On Friday, 9 March 2018 11:04:16 UTC, Â* wrote:
[...]

So do I but unless it is a fire rated ceiling it will not matter.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 03:04:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The holes cut for the GU10 ceiling lights are slightly too big and the edges of the plaster board look rough. Is there a reliable way to fix this so the finish appears better?

Thanks,

What about One Strike?
https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/one-strike/