Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT / safety-testing - domestic lighting?

Hi All
In another life I used to be involved with PAT testing / electrical
safety testing & quality management on telecoms equipment - so I
understand a bit about electrical safety testing.

Nowadays, I make stained-glass. One of the things I make is a
stained-glass lamp - consisting of a 3-sided or 4-sided 'shade', mounted
on a timber base.
Illumination is using a mains LED or CFL bulb, in a brass bayonet socket.
The mains lead is bought in as a new, ready-made, CE-marked assembly,
with a switch, moulded-on plug and ferrule ends - which I wire into the
screw terminals in the bayonet socket. There's a cable clamp on the
mains lead where it leaves the timber base.

I've been selling these for a while - no problem.
I spoke to a potential retailer this afternoon (they're part of an
electrical wholesaler) who said that he wouldn't be able to sell these
lamps because 'They would need PAT testing, first'

So - anybody out there know if this it true or not?

Short of connecting the L, N, E into the wrong terminals on the bayonet
socket (which would be noticed by me on 'final test' as the bulb
wouldn't light), I can't imagine a failure-mode that would make the lamp
unsafe.

I can (if necessary) buy a PAT tester, test each lamp and stick the
sticker on... but is it required?

Any ideas, please?
The country is Ireland, but I'm guessing that the same regulations apply
in the UK as well...
thanks
Adrian