Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT(ish) - delivery from eBay of small electronic components

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 21:20:00 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave W wrote:
On 22/01/2018 10:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/01/2018 07:10, tabbypurr wrote:

I don't treat them as a source at all. Last time I went there they
were selling leads for north of Ł20 a piece. I can pay a tenth of
that elsewhere.

If they are HDMI then they are Ł1 in poundland.

Yes but the HDMI lead I bought from Poundland led to strange things
happening because the internal wires had no screening or twisting. I
eventually went crestfallen to pay Maplin's ransome. I minimised this by
being adamant with the salesman I didn't need gold plating.

Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal integrity
medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold plated.
Which most of them aren't.

it's entirely useless unless you're using the lead in a damp location

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal
integrity medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold
plated. Which most of them aren't.

it's entirely useless unless you're using the lead in a damp location

I've had problems with oxide on those rather horrid DIN connectors indoors
- in a house which is never damp.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 January 2018 10:48:28 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal
integrity medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold
plated. Which most of them aren't.

it's entirely useless unless you're using the lead in a damp location

I've had problems with oxide on those rather horrid DIN connectors indoors
- in a house which is never damp.

Yes, like 3.5mm jacks, 5 pin DINs are only fit for limited use. Gold doesn't really solve that though. If you use something suitable like phonos or 1/4" jacks there's no real upside to gold unless the environment is corrosive.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've had problems with oxide on those rather horrid DIN connectors
indoors - in a house which is never damp.

Yes, like 3.5mm jacks, 5 pin DINs are only fit for limited use. Gold
doesn't really solve that though. If you use something suitable like
phonos or 1/4" jacks there's no real upside to gold unless the
environment is corrosive.

Tuchel do a connector with the same pin size and spacing as DIN - but more
usually found on pro gear. And that has a better plating to the contacts
and seems to be pretty reliable.

I dunno what they use on the ordinary cheap DIN connectors - but I've seen
several heavily corroded. Not something you seem to find often on other
types of connector.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
On 22/01/2018 10:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/01/2018 07:10, tabbypurr wrote:

I don't treat them as a source at all. Last time I went there they
were selling leads for north of Ł20 a piece. I can pay a tenth of
that elsewhere.

If they are HDMI then they are Ł1 in poundland.

Yes but the HDMI lead I bought from Poundland led to strange things
happening because the internal wires had no screening or twisting. I
eventually went crestfallen to pay Maplin's ransome. I minimised this by
being adamant with the salesman I didn't need gold plating.

Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal integrity
medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold plated.
Which most of them aren't.

it's entirely useless unless you're using the lead in a damp location

No, gold connectors avoid tarnishing where others would, even in quite
benign conditions and that is useful with low level signals.

it's only useful if your connectors have an otherwise inadequate mating surface area.

Much of
industry only purchases industrial relays with gold contacts for control
systems (even inside indoor control panels) - silver are fine for higher
voltages and currents.

SteveW

a very different situation to signal connectors

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 January 2018 11:59:56 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 26 January 2018 11:01:27 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/01/2018 21:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave W wrote:
On 22/01/2018 10:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/01/2018 07:10, tabbypurr wrote:

I don't treat them as a source at all. Last time I went there they
were selling leads for north of £20 a piece. I can pay a tenth of
that elsewhere.

If they are HDMI then they are £1 in poundland.

Yes but the HDMI lead I bought from Poundland led to strange things
happening because the internal wires had no screening or twisting. I
eventually went crestfallen to pay Maplin's ransome. I minimised this by
being adamant with the salesman I didn't need gold plating.

Actually (decent) gold plating is quite a good idea for signal integrity
medium/long term. But *only* if the mating socket is gold plated.
Which most of them aren't.

Most gold plating is a very thin layer,

Yes it's amazing how cheap gold foil can be having brought some gold foil that I'm trying to stick to an electroscope !!!!

electroplating is many times thinner

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
[...]

Yes so should be even cheaper, as gold is used to eliminate tarnishing of the connector a very thin layer is easily scratched so may not be much use long term. So a good quality lead should have a reasonable thick gold layer but I;ve no idea how much extar such a lead would cost but I wouldn't have thought more than a couple of quid worth of gold.